Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (haknslash)      Join Date: Jan 2018       02-17-2018, 9:20 AM Reply   
About a month ago I went to the boat show at the BJCC in Birmingham, AL. I was checking out the Moomba and Supra boats when I was greeted with Dan Miller, VP of Sales with Skier's Choice. He never told me who he actually was as I had only learned this later on the following days when a salesman reached out to me. I just thought he was some local salesman that came off as really down to earth. Dan sat down with me and went over everything I could have ever wanted to know about vdrives and modern tow boats, Supra and Moomba history.....everything. This guy was very knowledgeable and extremely patient to go over all the stupid little questions I was asking . I'm coming from a Yamaha jet boat so this is all new territory for me as you can imagine so I had a ton of questions from maintenance and drain plugs to surf and tech stuff. After speaking with him for easily 20+ minutes or so another family came in wanting to look over the boat so I figured it was a good time to dip out and thanked Dan for all the time he gave me one on one with the boats and brands. Again he's a super nice guy! I put down my info and expressed I'd like to do a demo ride when the weather was decent. Went home and drooled over brochures from all brands and models.

A few days go by and Greg from Skier's Marine from Skier's Marine in Harpersville, AL calls me. He said Dan had mentioned me from the boat show and that I had showed a lot of interest in the Max and that I was wanting to set up a demo ride. Well today was a decent enough day after already having to reschedule once for crap weather last week. The Max I saw at the boat show was white with black lower hull but today's boat was a beautiful red metalflake with black lower hull, similar to how I had spec'd one out on the Moomba web site. The boat looked really sharp!! I know the look is a bit controversial to some on here but for me I dig the squared off look and deep look and the wide bow was really nice!

The conditions today were with a stiff wind on the water and we've had rain for days so it wasn't all that clean but that wasn't going to stop me from having a good time. I gotta say I was really impressed with the boat! I can certainly see myself upgrading to one in a year or so once I have room to store it. My jet boat isn't great for surfing due to all the jet wash to contend with and once I tried surfing I was hooked so I'll need a proper boat to really enjoy it. There are not a lot of videos out there or information about this boat up close with it so I figured I would bring my GoPro with me today and record some footage of the demo, Greg going over the boat with me, learning how to drive a vdrive inboard coming from jet, testing out the wake and surf wave at various settings and speeds. Maybe someone else out there is looking for similar video or information. Greg even talked me into retrieving the boat to the trailer by myself while he watched from the truck which I gotta say was pretty exciting and nerve racking at the same time having never driven a boat like this!! In the end it wasn't so scary or bad and it was cool to learn how to use reverse the "auto rotation" of the boat to your advantage around a dock. Anyways I'm rambling now . I apologize in advance for the GoPro being sensitive to the pole mount and the wind at times. It's a long video (22 mins) but he goes over a lot of aspects about the boat explains what we are doing each run and messing around with the plate settings changing the face of the wake or surf wave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1dqCO0EYtk 22 min. long demo ride raw video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVAuwU9pxMg 6 min. short condensed video with only the wake and wave action with music.

Here are some images from the day....

Last edited by haknslash; 02-17-2018 at 9:26 AM. Reason: added images