Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-23-2017, 8:07 AM Reply   
I took my boat out last weekend but unfortunately there is a ton of debris. I was mostly cruising at idle in spots it was so bad. At one point I thought I badly damaged my prop because the boat was shaking while giving it gas. I stopped the boat, put it in reverse and then went forward again and the vibration has been gone since. I looked at my prop last night and there is one small area along the edge the felt a bit serrated from hitting something but it wasn't bent or cut at all. It made me start wondering at what is acceptable and what isn't. I don't think this justified replacement or fixing but at what point do you replace a prop? I can only assume that I had a piece of debris stuck somewhere causing all the vibration and that going in reverse freed it up. Anyone else experience that ever? The boat is a Sanger v215.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-23-2017, 8:13 AM Reply   
may need to have it heated and reshaped. takes very little to ding a prop, not surprised at all that debris caused it. Just got one back the other day from a shop in Austin. I you feel vibes at any speed/rpm you need to have it done. also don't run your boat with a vibrating prop

Last edited by denverd1; 05-23-2017 at 8:21 AM.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       05-23-2017, 8:34 AM Reply   
I try to stay in tune with my boat so usually I will notice anything out of the ordinary . I think I wouldn't worry to much unless there was some kind of vibration . I asked on here a few days ago and A few people recommended PropMD as a good service for prop repair .

So did you go out on the delta ? I was thinking about getting out there this weekend but I cant enjoy myself when there's that much crap in the water .
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-23-2017, 8:40 AM Reply   
I took my prop in with what I considered to be minor damage. No vibration at any speed but still damaged. The (biased source) prop repair company told me I should have come in sooner and that I was risking damage by running with a damaged prop. They said the minor vibrations that I couldn't feel could still damage the mechanicals.
I know some of the online repair shops will give you a discount on the repair if you buy a spare. I'd consider that route.
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       05-23-2017, 8:51 AM Reply   
If you're in the delta area ole boy in bethle island will hook it up for $100
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-23-2017, 8:54 AM Reply   
spare is a good idea. especially your lake gets debris regularly. buy the tools to change it out as well - its useless if you can't put it on
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-23-2017, 8:55 AM Reply   
I'm in Sacramento area. It doesn't look like any real damage. The vibration went away and sends to be running smooth. If I do anything I'll replace it to go with the acme 911 prop.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-23-2017, 6:26 PM Reply   
You probably had something between the prop and hull causing the vibration and reversing forced it out (don't ask me how I know this...)

Go to Thomas Marine in Rancho - they have the die's (forms?) for most of our props and can get it back to shape. They even have a pretty cool inspection machine that checks each blade. Had to use them for my last boat
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-24-2017, 3:36 AM Reply   
If it's just weed and grass you're fine. Our lake has **** that wraps around prop if we're idling thru the crap and it collects it will vibrate badly too if we don't stick it in reverse and spin the stuff off. Thought my prop was bad first time it happened too, now spinning the **** off is just part of our day.
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       05-24-2017, 5:20 AM Reply   
Shoulda already had a 911. Go get it pronto.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-24-2017, 7:26 AM Reply   
I am actually thinking the 1231 might be a better prop. I have the 1100lb bags in each corner and the 500 in the center front. I don't want to lose a ton off my top end speed. I looked last night and its the 515 acme on it right now.
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       05-24-2017, 8:49 AM Reply   
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-24-2017, 9:32 AM Reply   
911 is what I run. 515 is my backup - and on there now

Last edited by denverd1; 05-24-2017 at 9:35 AM.