Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-06-2014, 3:28 PM Reply   
Fusion in deck ipod series 5 HU >> own it.

Fosgate M262 6.6 coaxes front in cabin speakers .. Gotta buy them $117 a pair Amazon
Fosgate M282 8" coaxes rear cabin speakers... Gotta buy them $178 on amazon

PPI P 9004 amp Have to figure out a way to keep it from rusting into oblivion. have to buy.

No sub, no tower cans. No room for a sub and I cant stand tower speakers.
1979 Nautique with tower, kid hauler.
I know it wont hit but does that sound like a good budget system without being so cheap it was never worth doing?
Any better suggestions?
Thanks.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-06-2014, 4:41 PM Reply   
Generally in a '79 boat the speaker mounting options are not very good. I don't know your boat. Yours might be different. In most cases with boats during this era the actual equipment will be secondary to the execution of the speaker installation. You need a rigid mounting baffle with total front to rear acoustic isolation for a couple of feet away from each speaker and an infinite baffle behind all speakers. The larger the better but at least one full cu.ft. behind each speaker is the minimum. Execute it right and you could be happy without a subwoofer.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-06-2014, 4:58 PM Reply   
Thank you so much for responding David.
The boat has seen some heavy mods'
There is a glass over wood rear seat assembly that will have the two 8s in its face firing fwd, basically through or at the passengers calves. Plenty of space in there until it gets filled with stuff. The space is shared, should it be separated?
I also ran a bolster board full length with a tear drop just behind the two fwd seats that goes to deck level. This is where the 6.5s will go. It is all open behind the boards and they will be firing cross cabin. Its all 1/2 marine ply with fiberglass front and back.
Infinite baffle? Does that mean box them in for a given area?

Salt water use.
John
Thank you again, I know most are interested in big dollar loud systems. I appreciate your input.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-06-2014, 6:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitkiller View Post
Thank you so much for responding David.
The boat has seen some heavy mods'
There is a glass over wood rear seat assembly that will have the two 8s in its face firing fwd, basically through or at the passengers calves. Plenty of space in there until it gets filled with stuff. The space is shared, should it be separated?
I also ran a bolster board full length with a tear drop just behind the two fwd seats that goes to deck level. This is where the 6.5s will go. It is all open behind the boards and they will be firing cross cabin. Its all 1/2 marine ply with fiberglass front and back.
Infinite baffle? Does that mean box them in for a given area?

Salt water use.
John
Thank you again, I know most are interested in big dollar loud systems. I appreciate your input.
John,
No need to partition between the two 8-inch coaxials in such a large space. Filling the space as in 'packed completely full' will indeed affect the bass performance. With those speakers essentailly against the sole, that will be okay when and if the bench seat console is ever over loaded with storage.
'Infinte baffle' means an expansive enclosure similar to what you would have in a car trunk or car door or large boat coaming cavity.
The larger the better. You do not want to box them in.....unless this is the only means available to create front to rear isolation. You do not want the front radiation of the speaker to meet the rear radiation within several feet away from the speaker. The front and rear speaker air motion is polar opposite. If F & R are allowed to meet within a close proximity, you cancel bass, lose power handling, reduce output, and defeat damping which affects sound quality even into the midrange. This was my main concern in a vintage boat. If you need to introduce better front to rear acoustic isolation for the forward speakers, then fabricating rough partitions would be more effective than totally boxing the speakers in. You don't need absolute perfect air tight isolation via the partitions, especially if the space behind the speaker is large, just reasonably good F to R separation.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-07-2014, 4:12 AM Reply   
Thanks got it.
No comment on the gear so I guess it should be Ok for my application.