Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-12-2006, 9:57 PM Reply   
Why is it that people are so timid about telling other what they paid for their boats? Is there some kind of clause that says if you tell anyone what you paid you have to give your boat back? Are people just worried that they will find out that they paid more than someone else for the same boat?

Just curious
Old    discolafinger            04-12-2006, 10:08 PM Reply   
I'm not sure, private info, i guess,i would not say either?? but i hope to buy and sale every year. are you looking to buy or sale
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-12-2006, 10:31 PM Reply   
It's kind of a private matter in my opinion, like how much a person makes. I just don't think it is anyone elses business what you paid for your toys. Just my opinion.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-13-2006, 6:10 AM Reply   
Some people don't mind at all. Some people feel it's kinda like asking 'how much do you make' though.

Also, some of us are promo reps and/or work for a dealer and the terms of such an agreement are confidential.
Old    texag            04-13-2006, 6:17 AM Reply   
I don't buy the "its personal" argument in a forum like this. Its too anonymous here. I wouldn't tell my friends what I paid as they know me and would probably make judgements based on that, but here? Who cares? IMO I think its largely driven by fear. Fear of either looking foolish for paying too much, fear of appearing to be a braggart, or fear of regretting your purchase if you discover you could have gotten it for less (slightly different issue than looking foolish). Its really kind of a shame, because we put ourselves in a position of weakness by not knowing the "true cost". Look at the popularity of some of the auto websites, like Edmunds, etc., which tell you exactly what a "fair" price is on a specific make/model of a car, adjusted for where you live in the country. How great would it be if there was something like that out there for the boating community? Would really take a lot of the pressure out of the boat buying process.
Having said all that, I think dealer service (or lack thereof) can probably be a big factor in boat price, so its a bit different than the auto industry where that is somewhat more equal. Thus, when comparing "boat A" to "boat B" from 2 different dealers, you may be comparing apples to oranges if the service they offer after the deal is significantly different. That may also contribute to people not wanting to talk about price, as at some level they know that its really not an equal playing field...
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-13-2006, 6:30 AM Reply   
I agree with Nick, None of your business regardless of the anonimity...
Old    discolafinger            04-13-2006, 6:46 AM Reply   
everyone makes a good point, but if you need help buying a boat and are needing some price help, if you start listing so prices alot of people will gladly chime in
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-13-2006, 6:53 AM Reply   
Boats are like anything else, prices are different for differenct circumstances. Some people are better negotiators, some people are multiple boat buyers, and sometimes a dealer may need to sell a boat worse than another. It all depends. Back to what Nick mentioned, it's also a personal finance decision, some people like talking about that to strangers, most don't.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       04-13-2006, 7:02 AM Reply   
To a degree I don't see a problem with sharing ball park figures or telling someone that the quote they recieved seems a little high, but if you worked your butt off researching and negotiating should someone reap the benifits of your efforts by walking into the dealer with a rock bottom price you armed them with? I think exact numbers are private. Who care's about knowing who payed a little more or less.

D.E.B. makes a good point though. It would be nice to have something like Edmunds where we could ALL reap the benefits at the manufacturers expense.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-13-2006, 7:21 AM Reply   
i think a lot of people are scared cause they don't wanna feel they got a bad deal.

out of respect for my dealer i can't say what i paid for me boat or i would glady tell you

Old    swass            04-13-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
Ah yes, the "shhhhhh...don't tell anyone what you paid because I can't give that deal to everyone" ploy! I got the same speech.

It depends on who's asking. If you're a stranger and I get the feeling you're asking just so you can do the "Oh MY GOD!" thing, I'll say "none of your business." Friends can ask whatever they want and I'll tell them.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-13-2006, 8:24 AM Reply   
It depends on the circumstances, Last year I had two different people walk up to me on the boat ramp and ask "what'd that cost ya?" I didn't answer but felt like saying non of your f'n business..

On the other hand someone walked up to us on the ramp and said he was thinking about buying a wakeboard boat but didn't know what to look at and what to expect to pay, I spent about 10 or 15 minutes talking to him and giving him some general ideas about pricing..
It just depends on the situation I guess.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-13-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
just say if you have to ask, you can't afford it :-)
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-13-2006, 8:45 AM Reply   
It really is none of your business. most people have a pretty good idea of what someone paid for a new xstar, or SAN, or whatever. I dont think the anonimity has anything to do with it, since so many people on here are friends. I was raised to believe that it is rude to ask someone: how much they make, how much they paid for something, how old a woman is... you get the idea. if someone was doing some research into a boat, and they knew of someone on this forum who bought a boat from the same region they were looking in, send them a PM. I am sure they would gladly help in your research, or tell you how you could save some money on your purchase.
I can only imagine telling someone exactly what I paid for on a new VLX or something, and having that person going to my dealer, and saying: hey, I want this boat for this cost, because you gave that price to so and so. imagine the wait you will have on your next service.....
IMO.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-13-2006, 9:03 AM Reply   
Perfect answer from Tom.

I discussed pricing via e-mail with a few people on this board during my boat search. Even talked on the phone with one. In the end, I was going back and forth discussing every detail with a SAN owner. I thought it was VERY helpful in the process. I also assume that none of them would have been as forthcoming if it would have been in a thread.

I didn't post on the "what you paid" thread because I was scared to tell anyone that I paid $182,138 OTD....but they did throw in a t-shirt...

Anyway....just my $.02
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-13-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
Think about resale, what if you got on here and posted that you got an absolutely creaming deal on a new Boat. Then a year later you wanted to unload it. You may have a harder time selling it for a higher price if people knew exactly what you paid for it in the first place. I know a couple people who have sold their boat for equal or more than what they paid for it. Does this mean they were ripping people off? I don't think so, they were simply selling their boats for the same price that similarly equipped boats were going for.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-13-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
I agree with Thomas. I was told I got the internet loudmouth repeat Tige owner discount. If I found out he gave me the same deal as everyone else, I might have to castrate my dealer.

I am happy with my dealer and my boat. I think I'm better off being ignorant.

If I really did get a great deal, then I don't think my dealer would appreciate me telling everyone the exact price I paid.
Old    boardman74            04-13-2006, 10:40 AM Reply   
I agree with much of is said on here. I think it's personal, but do understand that people want some knowledge. I have posted before looking at pricing. I however was not to interested in price, but percentage. Every brand is different and even varies buy area. I am always a little questioning of these people who are claiming that they are getting 30% off or even 20% off. I have been shopping off and on now since 2001 when I was still in Georgia. I haven't bought a new boat yet, but 2 used to kind of tide me over till I get my dream boat. I would say I have worked numbers with no less than 10 dealers on new boats. I have always worked for 15% off retail. I have never gotten there. Maybe I am a bad negotiator, maybe not. I have tried on lot boats and new orders. Best I have gotten is to about 12% off. It has always been for current year boats. Getting 20-30% off a hold over is a OK deal, but most would call that depreciation. Never pay more than used value for a hold over, because that's what it's worth once you "use it". I got burned on a hold over once. So to you guys getting 20% + off, your awesome and share some knowledge.
Old     (cawakeboarder12)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-13-2006, 11:04 AM Reply   
What people don't understand that. When you get a discount on a boat its not the manufacturers or the dealer giving you a discount it is the sale person. So if you are nice to them they can make you a better deal. Because it is coming out of sale person pocket no one else. This all come from a friend who sales boats.
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-13-2006, 11:07 AM Reply   
It pretty much runs full spectrum here. Some will be hush hush others will post scanned images of the sales rip.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-13-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
Todd,

You have worked numbers with 10 dealers on new boats, but never bought one? If I were a salesperson and knew that, the negotiating wouldn't take very long.

Am I wrong to think that working numbers is really the last thing to do before buying a boat, and usually isn't done unless you are ready to buy?
Old     (tjdunn)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-13-2006, 12:13 PM Reply   
For me since I had a Great experience in the purchase of my boat at a show and the dealer and the Rep told us we could not get a better price any for the show I want to believe him and keep the good thoughts. I would rather not know he was full of b.s.
Old     (elleduke)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-13-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
"Dave, Dave...come on I am trying to tell you about F*cking my wife and you asking all these personal questions..."
- Dave Chappelle

I paid $$$K for a brand new 04' X2. Although I am thinking about trading it in for on '06.

Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-13-2006, 5:37 PM Reply   
Entrust, how are the repairs coming? If you get over to Bend give us a shout, well take you out riding.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-13-2006, 6:57 PM Reply   
Tom pretty much hit it on the head. When some toothless carnie at the gas station asks how much I paid for my 04 X2, I tell him $15,000.

When wakeboarding people ask me, I have no problem telling them. It was $48,787 out the door.

The only person who benefits from all the "privacy" is the dealer.

Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-13-2006, 8:03 PM Reply   
I don't see how disclosing the price you paid for you boat hurts your Dealer? If it is a good price I would think that it would boost business. I don't buy that excuse.

As for the "If you have to ask you can't afford it" comment this is the only thing I can honestly say I hate about the boating/boarding community. The snooty people that have to feel they are better than everyone else. If you need to put other people down to feel better about not asking questions before you buy a 45K+ boat you are LAME.

(Message edited by depoint50ae on April 13, 2006)
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-14-2006, 6:15 AM Reply   
I dont think it is as much as protecting the dealer, as it is to possibly protect your own next deal. I am sure the dealers ownly want to sell a certain number of boats for their rock bottom price, some in the middle, and some for as much as they can sucker you into paying. I dont mind being in the middle the first time, but as I build a relationship with the dealer I would like to make sure I am one of the few that get that best deal and the customer service to go along with it!

With that said, I am picking up my new supra launch 21v today. I was out the door(taxes, title, prep) with the options I wanted... heater, tower speakers and amp, perfect pass, bimini, bow cover, boat cover for slightly more then base MSRP.

And this was my first interaction/deal with this dealer, So I probally didnt get as good as a deal as their repeat buyer.

Not that it matters, because my wife says this is the last boat I ever get!

(Message edited by gmarkham1 on April 14, 2006)

(Message edited by gmarkham1 on April 14, 2006)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-14-2006, 6:32 AM Reply   
"Its too anonymous here."

no it's not! Everyone knows everyone.
Old     (nautique_04_226)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-14-2006, 7:22 AM Reply   
After Buying 5 boats from the same dealer It is useless information to tell you what I paid. I can call the dealer anytime and get the best service what kind of price do you put on that.
Old    boardman74            04-14-2006, 8:06 AM Reply   
Talltigeguy,
Do we know each other? Maybe you should go back and reread my post. I said I have bought 2 used boats in that time and from 2 of the 10 dealers. 5 of thoses dealers were here's list and that's the price we sell them for. I'm not going to pay that. Did you pay full list for your boat? A couple of the others I was able to get to around 10% off and one even 12%, but they were boats they wanted me to buy and not necessarly the boat I came to buy. Did you buy the boat you wanted or the boat the dealer wanted to sell you? I just haven't been able to get the deal I felt good about. Do you feel good about your purchase? I walked out on a few that were close and they never called me back or anything. In my 13 years of being on my own I have owned 5 jetskis (younger years), and 5 boats, so if you are trying to hang the "looky lucy" title on me, I'm not the one!!! Oh yeah I almost forget when I walk in I say "I have worked numbers with 10 dealers, what can YOU DO!!!"
Old     (strimble)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-23-2006, 8:27 PM Reply   
For myself as a soon to be first time new boat owner, it would be nice to have some sort of foundation.

With cars it is easy to find out what price is "fair" but with boats the dealers are often so spread out is not always easy to make sure you are not getting screwed.

For example a local dealer has a new VLX with supposedly 13K in options bringing to total retail to 60k but its on sale for 55K.

The next dealer is over 4 hours away so I have no idea if this is legit or overpriced, etc.

You get the idea...
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-23-2006, 9:05 PM Reply   
It's a regional thing anyway, and people are generally stuck with the dealers in their locale, for better or worse. Transportation costs, taxes, what the local market will bear, how desparate that particular dealer or salesman is that day, how long a boat has been on the lot, competition from other brands, etc all have more to do with the bottom line than any mojo a customer can throw at them. So, the price is what the price is and it's not the same from one place to another. If you left and the seller is pissed off, you got an OK deal. If he's smiling, you got took. If you make an offer and they don't take it and don't call back then it wasn't enough, regardless what Billy Bob on the internet said he paid for his. Most people know that instinctively and they don't feel like talking absolute numbers because they are not relevant to anyone or any other boat.
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       04-23-2006, 9:19 PM Reply   
yeah I understand about the privacy thing. It is very similar to the income/job thing. That is for people that are private about matters like that. Others dont really care. They do a job, they are proud of what they do, and they make what they make and have no shame about it. I would say its all personal preference and comfort. At the same time you dont want to have an ego, brag, or rub -in what yuo do, how much money you make, or other things. As for the boat price thing...again I would say it is personal preference but if someone has no problem saying what they paid its all good.....

I actually have no problem telling you what I paid for my boat. So therefore I will share this information. I bought a used 1994 Sport Nautique with 399 hours in 1997 or8 from Central Vally Marine. (Nautique Dealer) After all the haggling I paid 21,500 before taxes. After taxed it came to roughly almost 23,000. I haggled with the owner of the dealership for days. The boat was fully loaded. Shower, heater, Pro Boss 315 HP w/ GT-40 Heads and upgraded bilge pumps. Bla Bla BLa.....it had all the bells and whistles for that time. Today its all pimped out, which many have seen, with tower, racks, lights, ballast, tinted windows, great sounds, multiple power supplies, re-proped etc. It has 875 hours on it and runnin strong.

(Message edited by zride on April 23, 2006)