Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-07-2006, 6:30 PM Reply   
So I was checking out some snowboarding gear and wondered if a snowboarding helmet would work for wakeboarding?
Old     (shredred)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-07-2006, 6:44 PM Reply   
If they use a multi impact type liner. Not a EPS liner that will soak up water over time.
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-08-2006, 4:15 AM Reply   
i use my ace water pro tec helmet for snowboarding....seems to do they shiz
Old     (davey_boy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-08-2006, 7:18 AM Reply   
I use my snowboarding helmet for wakeboarding whenever I ride at TSR. I think it works fine. I don't think the helmets for snowboarding and wakeboarding are that much different. Only differences I see is my helmet doesn't have holes in the top and there is a little more insultation on the inside. But it doesn't trap water when I fall and it still dries fast enough. The helmet I have is a Pro-TPC helmet.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-08-2006, 7:27 AM Reply   
I use my snowboarding helmet for wakeboarding also.
Old    robertt            02-08-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
I use a multisport helmet for whitewater kayaking.

This one...

http://www.sweetprotection.com/helmets_trooper_hc.htm

The ear flaps come off very easy, but for wakeboarding they would be needed I would think.

Very cool helmets...the best part is that the liner simply pulls out and you can wash it in your washing machine.

That is a HUGE plus....lake water can get funky really quick soaked into a helmet liner.

I have a few grateful head helmets, and a few other brands. Good stuff....but too much area for a high speed impact.

I also have the Sweet Strutter for playboating...but the bill would be sketchy in a high speed crash. http://www.sweetprotection.com/helmets_strutter.htm

Here are a few pictures of me being stupid behind my boat in a kayak...believe me at any speed at all that bill is a mistake. I about ripped my head off.

For now on I will use the helmet noted above.

http://trask.smugmug.com/gallery/676218/1/29263044

Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-08-2006, 10:32 AM Reply   
robert..the pics are great. Was that your helmet or a baseball cap. The look on your kids face is priceless. Looks like fun.
Old    robertt            02-08-2006, 10:49 AM Reply   
The helmet that I had on was the Strutter helmet. It is actually a VERY safe helmet, its all carbon fiber. I do not in any way suggest it for wakeboarding though, because it has a bill in front that would/could catch water.

It happened in the pictures...and I ended up with a 2 week bruise under my chin from the strap.
Old    helmet_guy            02-13-2006, 1:09 PM Reply   
Hey guys, there are lots of issues with using a snow helmet for wakeboarding! First off, almost all snow helmet use an EPS liner which will absorb water. This not only make s your helmet heavier, but EPS is a bunch of steam bonded beads that expand and adhere under pressure. This bond can deteriorate, leaving you with a liner that doesn't work. Second are the materials used for covering the liner, if these are removable and washable, it is possible they will last a reasonable time.

The biggest issue of using snow helmet for wakeboarding is the coverage. A true wakeboarding helmet should have a very high cut back neck area vs. snow designs that need to cover the neck for warmth and ASTM certification. A wakeboarding helmet should also have an air/water escape to help prevent bucketing. Holes should be designed to not allow water to rush in, but allow maximum ventilation. Etc., etc., etc.

The Sweet Strutter has no business on the water and is a hazard due t the baseball cap style bill. This is just plain dangerous! The Trooper shape should work just fine, and the very small bill should help with the sun a little.