Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (zking)      Join Date: Jan 2016       02-01-2016, 10:51 AM Reply   
The private lake that I live on just made it a rule that you can not have a boat with a wake enhancing device on it (ballasts/wakeplates). I was literally a month out from purchasing a wakeboard boat when this rule was made. I personally believe that it is completely ridiculous and would have purchased a house on a different lake if I knew they were going to do this. I really wanted a boat to wake surf and wakeboard behind. Is that even possible without a wake enhancing device??? I can get a boat with the devices but I have to remove them. What boat will have the best wake without any ballasts or wake plates? I would just toss in a fat sac but they constantly check boats to make sure they don't have them. Any advice is helpful.

Thanks,
Zach
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-01-2016, 11:00 AM Reply   
The Mastercraft 205v hull (old XStar and X1) and SAN 210 hull can put out decent wakes, with minimal extra weight. If I were in your situation, I'd probably have a lot of lead spread throughout the boat, hidden under the seats. In the rear trunks I'd probably have a bunch of loaded gas cans, OR I'd make a false floor, and put 300-400 lbs of ballast under them.

Last edited by ironj32; 02-01-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-01-2016, 11:02 AM Reply   
Lots of friends each time you go out.
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-01-2016, 11:03 AM Reply   
What Jay said. I would be hiding lead all over the boat and make sure you have a large crew every time you go out.
A SAN 210 would be a good choice. I can load my 210 up with ten people and have no ballast and still produce a nice wake.
Old    BamaMojo            02-01-2016, 11:18 AM Reply   
Litigate....
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-01-2016, 11:25 AM Reply   
An old school SAN 210 with a little hidden lead will be all you need for boarding. You're screwed for surfing though.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-01-2016, 11:40 AM Reply   
time to get on board and change the rules
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       02-01-2016, 11:46 AM Reply   
that is what I had to do at my community. Ran for the board as they were trying to ban wakeboarding and surfing.... not anymore.
Old     (zking)      Join Date: Jan 2016       02-01-2016, 12:21 PM Reply   
Exactly. I know three guys right now trying to get on the board so it can at least be put to a vote. Just all of the sudden banning it out of nowhere is ridiculous.
Old     (zking)      Join Date: Jan 2016       02-01-2016, 12:23 PM Reply   
How many pounds of lead would be realistic to hide on the boat for a good wake boarding wake?
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       02-01-2016, 12:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaMojo View Post
Litigate....
Is this "Liti-gate" some type of "surf gate"?
Old    BamaMojo            02-01-2016, 12:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercoon View Post
Is this "Liti-gate" some type of "surf gate"?

Hahahaha. I was thinking to peacefully negotiate a compromise with the HOA or have them buy the home. In my experience these situations typically involve attorneys. Easy for me to say....
Old    BamaMojo            02-01-2016, 12:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zking View Post
Exactly. I know three guys right now trying to get on the board so it can at least be put to a vote. Just all of the sudden banning it out of nowhere is ridiculous.

D baggery!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-01-2016, 1:07 PM Reply   
Private lake. They make the rules. You've got to be one of 'them' that makes the rules. There are lots of practical reasons to put a rule in about enhanced wakes or boat sizes. If you had the boat before the rule you might have a better chance. Now you can use people ballast, cheat with hidden ballast, or get on the board and change the rule.
Of course, you might have a bigger anchor than normal and more batteries for safety but that does not get you 1000#.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       02-01-2016, 1:10 PM Reply   
How far are they going to go to uphold these rules? Just about any current boat will have available sub-floor hard tanks. Since one can't simply rip those out, are they going to tell you that you can't use a boat like that all together?
Old     (zking)      Join Date: Jan 2016       02-01-2016, 1:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime41 View Post
How far are they going to go to uphold these rules? Just about any current boat will have available sub-floor hard tanks. Since one can't simply rip those out, are they going to tell you that you can't use a boat like that all together?
I am actually not sure about that. I was under the impression that I could simply disable the systems by taking out the fuses or something but I will have to make sure.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-01-2016, 1:39 PM Reply   
Gut some old school orange vests and fill them with lead. You'd be good as long as they are just looking.

If breaking the rules is out of the question, OG 210 and all your friends.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       02-01-2016, 2:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyart View Post
Of course, you might have a bigger anchor than normal and more batteries for safety but that does not get you 1000#.
Indeed a bigger anchor is in order:

Of course you'll need a reasonable length of chain for it:

In all seriousness I'd write a letter to whatever group makes these rules explaining that being able to enjoy water sports with a proper inboard tow boat was a primary factor in your decision to purchase waterfront on that lake. Request a reversal of the rule or some change that suits the lake size/shape (ballast only on some part of lake or distance form shore?), or something else that allows you to use the lake as you intended and was allowed when you purchased the property.

If there is no reversal of the insanity of their rule perhaps another letter requesting permanent exemption or that they purchase your property once you have found a comparable policy on a watersports friendly lake, probably worth involving a lawyer if they aren't reasonable to the first letter though. Or just run with one of those anchors as above and they'll pay you to leave?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-01-2016, 2:34 PM Reply   
Does sea deck make a lead flooring product?.lol.
Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       02-01-2016, 2:48 PM Reply   
If you google "no wake zones" here in Australia you might find some info on the some crankyankers that tried to make large portions of our river "no wake" without public consulatation or consideration.

Unfortunately wakeboarder are relatively small in number compared to environmentalists and also fairly passive politically so it had a fair bit of momentum before it even hit the public news. That said when it did hit the news there was outcry, land values, public freedoms etc etc and was fairly quickly squashed.

what did eventuate was a protective group to educate, manage and assist with the "problems" they were concerned about (RMBRAG) which great.

Depends on the rules and ownership of your private lake. Go to them with a solution about responsible boating (with ballast and wedges) which will avoid their crakyanker rules and importantly avoid the need for legal action and you may have more success.

As a wakeboarder with a heap of ballast in my boat I am very conscious of people not behaving sensibly and impacting the environment and others and solving that can definitely help.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       02-01-2016, 2:52 PM Reply   
Dave, that is brilliant! Lead sheet is 16 lbs per sqft at 1/4" thickness. Just carpet over as many layers as needed.

http://www.rotometals.com/category-s/88.htm
Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       02-01-2016, 3:21 PM Reply   
cos no one would ever notice that there is a huge wake coming from ONE particular boat on the lake and investigate......
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-01-2016, 3:21 PM Reply   
how big is the lake? Is there law enforcement on the lake?
Old     (zking)      Join Date: Jan 2016       02-01-2016, 4:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougr View Post
how big is the lake? Is there law enforcement on the lake?
The lake is about 400 acres and there is law enforcement out on Friday through Sunday which is primarily the time we are down there.
Old     (zking)      Join Date: Jan 2016       02-01-2016, 4:13 PM Reply   
The guy who makes the rules right now is about 80 years old and is obviously not very fond of wakeboarding/surfing. The reason this rule was passed was because a few people on the lake called in complaining that the huge wake surf wakes were ruining their docks. The lake already has a rule stating you have to be at least 100 feet from all docks but apparently that wasn't enough. The rule stating no ballast systems was loosely enforced until this year meaning people could still bring the boats on but were told they weren't allowed to use the ballasts. Now they won't even sticker a boat unless all ballasts and wake plates are removed (and hopefully just disabled).

Last edited by zking; 02-01-2016 at 4:15 PM. Reason: -
Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       02-01-2016, 4:23 PM Reply   
80 year olds should not be allowed to make rules.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-01-2016, 4:53 PM Reply   
Just get an inboard/outboard and trim it up...
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-01-2016, 5:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by feral View Post
80 year olds should not be allowed to make rules.
Make sure all Bernie supporters hear this
Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       02-01-2016, 5:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Make sure all Bernie supporters hear this
not sure what that means but my comment was toungue in cheel - in my experience with a community shack area (on the river) an old bloke was so out of touch he did things like this - not quite removing ballast and wake plates (what a foolish suggestion) but he did once "order" that a newly built 10mx8m shed (including concrete base) was picked up and moved to another location (where it didn't fit anyway). Recruiting a band of misinformed ignorants, he created several huge fusses which finally resulted in all the other owners stepping up and voting him out. he ended up selling out, much to everyones delight.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       02-01-2016, 7:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
cos no one would ever notice that there is a huge wake coming from ONE particular boat on the lake and investigate......
At our lake it seems the standard running position for all boats near shore on weekends is bow as high as possible not quite on plane and as close to docks as possible. I tie up my boat with this in mind and use several large bumpers in addition to padding on dock, or put it on the mooring if not actively using it on weekends. Dock goes in and out every year and gets repaired then as needed, doesn't bother me. It would just be nice if they would either run at slow speed or on plane, don't care about wakes just hate when they throw max wake 30' off my dock. It's as if they're actively trying to be as destructive as possible for the fun of it. I can understand the frustrations that may lead to others who are not so live and let live want to ban things, but I have never seen anyone with an inboard participating in any water sport doing these types of things so don't understand the hate. You'll never see me lobbying for more no wake zones, even right off my dock.

Not sure how people drive on OP's lake, but if it's anything like what I'm used to seeing as normal acceptable behavior they may not notice or care so long as they are no active wake enhancing devices such as ballast or wake plates. If OP wishes to stay and fight vs fight for damages or just up and leave, lead sheet is arguably flooring and I doubt anyone would notice a 1/4" or 1/2" higher floor, or complain about a large bank of group 31 batteries, or simply a boat always full to capacity with rotund people. Arbitrary adherence to rules (or laws in other cases) without a care for the root issue, or if there even is an issue, seems to be the norm.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       02-01-2016, 7:11 PM Reply   
And that my friends is why you should attend HOA meetings
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-01-2016, 7:25 PM Reply   
You might start wakeskating....
Can shred without ballast, think of the fuel you'll save too
Old     (zking)      Join Date: Jan 2016       02-01-2016, 8:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyost View Post
You might start wakeskating....
Can shred without ballast, think of the fuel you'll save too
I actually started wakeskating last year. We currently have just a Crownline Bowrider and it is perfect for it. I still plan to wakeskate, I just want a good wakeboard wake as well on our next boat.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       02-02-2016, 8:07 AM Reply   
Wasn't is WAY back when Tige used to advertise you don't need ballast you just need TAPS?
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       02-02-2016, 9:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by downfortheride View Post
Wasn't is WAY back when Tige used to advertise you don't need ballast you just need TAPS?
Yes. It was the dumbest sales pitch I've ever heard. That was back in '01 I think. They touted that their boats were so much heavier that you didn't need to add any extra weight...
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-02-2016, 10:24 AM Reply   
Step 1: Understand the law. Read your Association's documents and see what authority the Board has to pass this rule. Read the HOA law in your state. Consult a lawyer in your state to confirm/strengthen your understanding of the law.

Step 2: If the Association has violated the law or exceeded its authority, call them on it or have your attorney call them on it.

Step 3: Become active in the HOA. Talk to your neighbors. Get the membership list and write to all members about this. Write to the Board about this. Go to Board meetings and raise the issue. Aren't there reasonable alternatives -- no wakesurfing in parts of the lake close to shore -- short of a complete ban? If enough owners think as you, you could possibly overturn the rule by member vote or recall the directors (again, depending on state law and your documents). You could also run for the Board and encourage like-minded boaters to do the same. These HOAs are often run by those simply willing to run. Get involved and get elected.

Step 4: Lead, lead and more lead. haha
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-02-2016, 10:55 AM Reply   
Old 210 and lead

1000 pounds and a few people will be more than enough.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-02-2016, 11:41 AM Reply   
Do you think they'll be upset when you install your cable system and open it up to your friends

Mass Loaded Vinyl can weigh 2#/sq ft. at less than 1/4" thick. It's used for sound dampening and is a reasonable addition to make your boat quieter for your neighbours and guests. People that do home theatres should be able to supply sheets, or get it online. Nothing to move or rust and you have a nice even distribution.
A bit tough to get 1000# though.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-02-2016, 6:31 PM Reply   
I'd second what Ian said above and get involved. Try to get some other like minded people involved too, as there is definitely strength in numbers. Given that you're in Columbus, I'm guessing you are on a lake down in Brown County. I have a few friends that have places on different lakes down there, and they have similar rules, unfortunately. That could become a problem, as these boards will point to similar rules at other lakes in an attempt to justify their positions.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-03-2016, 4:38 AM Reply   
Hoa's have 2 sets of laws. #1 CC&RS these are like their constitution and are very hard to change and most of the time require a vote of the entire community.

The second type of rules are "operating rules" these can be changed with a simple Majority vote of the board. This sounds like what happened. Here in California we have laws that protect home owners against making CC&R rules that CHANGE the way home owners can use their property in a common interest comunity (HOA).

I'm sure your not the only one who is upset by this new rule join the board and have other home owners get involved. I'm sure there is a Reason this new rule came into effect. Try and find out how you can get involved and overturn this new rule. It may be as simple as making a new rule stating home owners can have wave making devices and visitors can't! That might be a simple compromise that may fix the problem.

Bottom line work with the comunity to make it better and not against the HOA board cause they can make your life horrible. Especially if your dealing with retired people that have nothing better then to sit on a HOA board and pull your strings. proceed with caution. Go talk with your neighbors and become involved. I had a tyrannical HOA board where I lived, they made my life hell. I ended up joining the board and becoming president of my HOA and overturning every rule and procedure that messed with enjoying the lake. It was the best thing I could have done. I met a lot if great people / friends in the process
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-03-2016, 5:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Hoa's have 2 sets of laws. #1 CC&RS these are like their constitution and are very hard to change and most of the time require a vote of the entire community.

The second type of rules are "operating rules" these can be changed with a simple Majority vote of the board. This sounds like what happened. Here in California we have laws that protect home owners against making CC&R rules that CHANGE the way home owners can use their property in a common interest comunity (HOA).

I'm sure your not the only one who is upset by this new rule join the board and have other home owners get involved. I'm sure there is a Reason this new rule came into effect. Try and find out how you can get involved and overturn this new rule. It may be as simple as making a new rule stating home owners can have wave making devices and visitors can't! That might be a simple compromise that may fix the problem.

Bottom line work with the comunity to make it better and not against the HOA board cause they can make your life horrible. Especially if your dealing with retired people that have nothing better then to sit on a HOA board and pull your strings. proceed with caution. Go talk with your neighbors and become involved. I had a tyrannical HOA board where I lived, they made my life hell. I ended up joining the board and becoming president of my HOA and overturning every rule and procedure that messed with enjoying the lake. It was the best thing I could have done. I met a lot if great people / friends in the process
This is great advise from Grant!

If however you are talking about Cordry Sweetwater. The problem is worse than described above. Last year the board put a moratorium on new V-drive boats because they come with ballast systems. I have a dear friend who bought a home on the lake 3 years ago. They are totally new to boating and ask me to help find a boat. Like all of us, they have sticker shock and they kept putting it off. Now that they are ready to buy they are pretty much forced to buy a I/O.

Zach call my cell when you get a chance 765-744-6310 in Muncie
Old     (zking)      Join Date: Jan 2016       02-03-2016, 1:28 PM Reply   
I emailed the board president to make sure that I could still have ballasts if they were somehow disabled. The response I got is attached. To sum it up the answer is no (which is completely ridiculous). Anyone have any suggestions now? Any good wakeboard boats with all removable ballasts?
Attached Images

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-03-2016, 1:32 PM Reply   
I'd be talking to the title company you used when you bought the house and see if that rule was disclosed.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-03-2016, 1:43 PM Reply   
Just get a Sanger outboard and start barefooting across the lake at 45...no problem
Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       02-03-2016, 2:23 PM Reply   
buying a boat to suit a crankyanker of rule of that nature is not the solution - as the crankyankers in their row boats leave and the water sport world heads further toward boarding and wakesurf you will find land value drop - immediately no wakeboarder or wakesurfer will buy.

There are very few boats which don't have some form of "device" - is a device "ballast" "wedge" "tabs" "hull shape" etc etc - the type of uninformed crankyanker that make that type of rule would even an outboard with a trim plate on an outboard impacts the wake - take it off.

Your only option is to setup a system of responsible lake management (including responsible ballast use) and to send the old bloke packing with his pants pulled up past his nipples (where he finds them most comfortable).

Interestingly in our little area we get significant public access and a few are irresponsible but as there have been more bigger and better boats owned by locals the river etiquette has improved.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-03-2016, 2:39 PM Reply   
Why is there law enforcement on your private lake?
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-03-2016, 3:05 PM Reply   
Zach, back in the 70's they made fiberglass inboard boats that were very heavy, so there would be no reason to add ballast. I use to live on lake Erie where they sell these boats for cheap prices and I think they would put out quite a wake. I am still contemplating buying one of these boats in a few years to surf behind. definitely something to look into.
Old     (zking)      Join Date: Jan 2016       02-03-2016, 3:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
Zach, back in the 70's they made fiberglass inboard boats that were very heavy, so there would be no reason to add ballast. I use to live on lake Erie where they sell these boats for cheap prices and I think they would put out quite a wake. I am still contemplating buying one of these boats in a few years to surf behind. definitely something to look into.
Well I just found out that there is a weight limit of 4500 lbs and a length limit of 21 feet as well. I'm pretty much giving up hope at this point. Time to get on the board
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-03-2016, 4:14 PM Reply   
Original Super Air like 30 other people in this thread have mentioned. Even with no weight it's still a great wake that most people can't utilize fully.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-03-2016, 4:24 PM Reply   
Why is law enforcement enforcing your HOA rules?

What are the repercussions for not following the rules?

How will the prove a wake gate that takes a few seconds to deploy is "in-active"? Throw a switch somewhere thats hidden so you can demonstrate it is "not working" when they unlawfully board your vessel to inspect.

LEAD. Paint it. Make it look OEM in your hull. Done.
Old     (zking)      Join Date: Jan 2016       02-03-2016, 4:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfield View Post
Original Super Air like 30 other people in this thread have mentioned. Even with no weight it's still a great wake that most people can't utilize fully.
My problem with that is I was really looking for a boat that was at least a 2010. I would be content with an older model but my family loves all of the new features and tech on the newer boats.
Old     (zking)      Join Date: Jan 2016       02-03-2016, 5:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
Why is law enforcement enforcing your HOA rules?

What are the repercussions for not following the rules?

How will the prove a wake gate that takes a few seconds to deploy is "in-active"? Throw a switch somewhere thats hidden so you can demonstrate it is "not working" when they unlawfully board your vessel to inspect.

LEAD. Paint it. Make it look OEM in your hull. Done.
I have no idea why they enforce the rules but they do. They are simply paid to come out every weekend and sit on the lake and wait for someone to break the rules put in place by the HOA. For not following the rules you originally get a ticket but then you can lose your boating privileges for an entire year if you break the same rule again. And they are not allowing wake gates at all. Any wake enhancing device has to some how be removed from the boat.
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       02-03-2016, 6:00 PM Reply   
Correct me if I am wrong, but surf gate is a wake shaping device or delayed convergence devise not a wake enhancing device. Take out the bags and just bring people. If the charge you take it to court and fight on the grounds of malibus patient. I am not a lawyer but just a thought.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-03-2016, 6:16 PM Reply   
One more "Pro about joining the board. When you are a home owner NOT on the board, And you decide to go after the HOA you have to fund $ your on Legal crusade. Example you throw $500 to a $1000( and that's nothing) at a Lawyer to get the HOA to change a rule or come correct. The HOA board battling you simply turns your legal demand over to the HOA lawyer for free!!! That's right So you as a home owner have to "Pay to Play" and they as Board members don't. They simply hand it over to the HOA legal team (the one you pay for in your HOA dues) and the board say's to the HOA lawyers "make this guy go away" And trust me any lawyer representing a HOA would love to write a $2,500 letter that they bill to the HOA! telling you (the home owner) how you don't have a leg to stand on ect. Take it from a person that went to war with my HOA. #1 Its way easier to join the team. #2 have your friends run for the board as well and get them elected. #3 And when you have a majority on the board start the Rule changing! That's Exactly how they worked against you to get where things are today.
Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       02-03-2016, 6:40 PM Reply   
the "law enforcement" sound more like "private security" and sorry if I offend but farked if I would want to live somewhere with fun police like that

"boating privileges" ....that's bull****.

nothing like that in AUS - we are lucky in some ways on a river which is public - we get some ********s and I welcome the marine safety guys being there but boating is a right not a privilege.

good luck with it.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-03-2016, 6:45 PM Reply   
Zach,

Which lake are you on down there? It's good for people to know which ones to avoid. Our lake previously had a no ballast rule, but they have ditched it, presumably bc it was difficult to enforce. Given that they didn't enforce it, I never had a problem, but if they had, I looked into getting a couple of large coolers for the v-drive lockers and was going to fill them with water and drop a bottle of water in each...Plan B was "live-wells" in the lockers.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-03-2016, 7:05 PM Reply   
I hate to say it, get out, sell the house, move somewhere you can enjoy your investment. the end will be either, sacrifice and hate the lake and the HOA and being there, or just move. My wife and I are fighting to move our docks out and cannot win with power company. In drought times, we are in 3 ft or water or less. the dredge option would be expensive due to moving the dirt miles away. like 100k expensive. I may sell my house, and move to a location with deeper water if we cannot make this work. I cannot keep fighting and being pissed over the situation and have no resolve.

You may never win this and end up frustrated every time you go out to enjoy your lake. I feel for you and think its total BS. i hope you work it out.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-04-2016, 12:23 AM Reply   
Buyer beware of buying a lake house...... Gotta read the fine print. Zach, have you read yours?
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-04-2016, 7:38 AM Reply   
see this thread: http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=802163

plenty of ballast and they'd end up begging you to hook up the factory ballast instead
Old     (zking)      Join Date: Jan 2016       02-04-2016, 8:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini88 View Post
Zach,

Which lake are you on down there? It's good for people to know which ones to avoid. Our lake previously had a no ballast rule, but they have ditched it, presumably bc it was difficult to enforce. Given that they didn't enforce it, I never had a problem, but if they had, I looked into getting a couple of large coolers for the v-drive lockers and was going to fill them with water and drop a bottle of water in each...Plan B was "live-wells" in the lockers.
Grandview Lake is where I am at
Old     (zking)      Join Date: Jan 2016       02-04-2016, 8:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
the "law enforcement" sound more like "private security" and sorry if I offend but farked if I would want to live somewhere with fun police like that

"boating privileges" ....that's bull****.

nothing like that in AUS - we are lucky in some ways on a river which is public - we get some ********s and I welcome the marine safety guys being there but boating is a right not a privilege.

good luck with it.
I think the HOA pays police officers to enforce the rules of the lake. They are real cops but private security is a good description.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-04-2016, 8:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zking View Post
Grandview Lake is where I am at
I just googled it and that is a pretty small lake.
Old     (zking)      Join Date: Jan 2016       02-04-2016, 9:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
I just googled it and that is a pretty small lake.
Yeah only 500 acres but it is still certainly big enough to have ballasts on
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-04-2016, 12:08 PM Reply   
Grandview is a nice little lake. I havent been down there in a few years, but i remember that as far back as 07 that they were cracking down on ballast. A friend of mine pulled the factory bags out of his bc it wasn't worth dealing with the water cop. There are some wakeboarders out there so maybe you can ultimately get the rule changed
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-04-2016, 12:36 PM Reply   
Legacy SAN210TE with a huge cooler filled with beer & a few other heavy "non ballast" items & you should be good to go.
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       02-04-2016, 1:52 PM Reply   
Why does everyone keep telling him old school 210? Doesn't that have ballast? He stated place says NO ballast even in the boat. Was there technically ever a 210 or "Super Air" that didn't have built in ballast. Maybe I just misread.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-04-2016, 2:57 PM Reply   
It's not exactly rocket science to remove a ballast system.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-04-2016, 3:01 PM Reply   
Just make the rear lockers giant "live wells".
Old     (Aurex)      Join Date: Aug 2014       02-04-2016, 3:11 PM Reply   
I just googled the lake. It is small, and there is a large lake (lake of bays) about one mile away. I understand the ease of use if you have lakefront, but how long does it honestly take to launch at the larger lake?
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-04-2016, 11:37 PM Reply   
[QUOTE=zking;1929443]Yeah only 500 acres but it is still certainly big enough to have ballasts

After seeing how small it is, I'm not surprised at the HOA's new law. It wouldn't take much to chop that lake up in no time whether people run ballast or not. That lake must be a soup sandwich on a warm summer weekend. There are some nice houses on it though.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       02-05-2016, 5:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurex View Post
I just googled the lake. It is small, and there is a large lake (lake of bays) about one mile away. I understand the ease of use if you have lakefront, but how long does it honestly take to launch at the larger lake?
I think you're looking at the wrong lake... or maybe I am. The one I'm seeing is miles from anything.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gr...9cc5c7dd9be384

That's a very nice neighborhood and a small lake. Best of luck to you but it's gonna be a fight.
Attached Images

Last edited by ChaseR720; 02-05-2016 at 5:14 AM.
Old     (Aurex)      Join Date: Aug 2014       02-05-2016, 7:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseR720 View Post
I think you're looking at the wrong lake... or maybe I am. The one I'm seeing is miles from anything.

That's a very nice neighborhood and a small lake. Best of luck to you but it's gonna be a fight.
Perhaps. Either way, the op has a fight ahead of him unless he moves elsewhere......
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-05-2016, 3:52 PM Reply   
Change ballast to big ass gas tanks.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-05-2016, 8:20 PM Reply   
Google maps says you are 3.5 hours from me if you wanna give an old school 210 a try. Im sure ones closer but you are welcome to come see what they are like sometime.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       02-08-2016, 10:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime41 View Post
Over in the Portland area, they have Lake Oswego. They have similar rules for "no wake enhancing devices".

Here are the rules for that lake:
http://www.lakecorp.com/wakedevices.aspx

Quote:
Wake Enhancement Devices

Wake Enhancing Devices will not be allowed on the lake. Some manufacturers have offer devices to make the wake of boats larger. A larger wake from boats can make the lake very choppy and potentially unsafe or unusable for some users (canoe's, water skiing, etc). Additionally, property damage can occur as well as shoreline erosion which degrades water quality. To help in managing wakes, boats with wake enhancement devices will not be allowed to operate on the lake.

We require disabling procedures be performed on boats with wake enhancement devices before they can be operated on the lake. Click here for form.

BOATS WITH BUILT-IN BALLAST SYSTEMS
1.Remove fuses that control system.
2.Plug intake hoses with flat plugs under hull.
3.Remove impellers that fill the systems.
4.Remove hoses to ballast tanks and plug the inlets.
5.Disconnect any wires to fill systems (at the switches and at the pump).
6.Remove dashboard switches and replace with blanks.

BOATS WITH WEDGES, PLATES, OR OTHER MECHANICAL DEVICES
1.Remove wedge or plate.
2.Remove handle for adjusting plate.
3.Remove any electrical controls as described above.
4.Put a pin lock through the mounting bracket plate and give the key to the boat owner.

Owners of boats retrofit with water bladders such as "Fat Sacks" must have the water bladders removed. Passive wake enhancement is also not allowed. The most common passive devices are sand bags or free weights. Lead plating is another form of passive device. You can use any boat mechanic to make the changes as long as the technician signs the LOC Wake Enhancement Device Certification and Agreement confirming the changes were made following our guideline. All work performed on the boat must be listed on the Agreement. You cannot certify your own boat. If you are caught using water bladders, passive wake enhancing devices, or any other wake enhancing devices, your boat will be subject to removal from the Lake for twelve months, no exceptions. We do not want to ticket any neighbor so we ask for your support as we try and balance the needs of all shareholders.

BOATS SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED AS WAKE ENHANCING DEVICES

Manufacturers are designing boats smaller than 22.0 feet to produce massive wakes. No boat designed to produce these large wakes will be licensed on our lake. The hull design characteristics and description the boat manufacturer uses to market the boat will determine whether a boat fits into this category. Please check with our staff before purchasing your boat to ensure we will be able to license it.
Obviously I'd never own a home on that lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddad View Post
Change ballast to big ass gas tanks.
I was thinking the same thing. It wouldn't be that hard to plumb hard tanks for gas! hahaha!
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       02-08-2016, 10:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by downfortheride View Post
I've surfed behind a 21' Tige ((I think it was 2001 to 2004 vintage) with NO ballast and just one guy in the surfside corner. It was certainly a weak wave, but I was able to freeride it (with effort).

There are 3 components to surfing. The wave, the board, and rider skill. 2 of the 3 can compensate for the other.

Hell, I've been able to freeride my son's 3'9" Phase5 Scamp behind my XLV!

Last edited by trayson; 02-08-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-08-2016, 10:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelerWake View Post
Just make the rear lockers giant "live wells".

I think this is the best idea we have had. Use some hard tanks on an old 210 plump it in and put a little door on top of hard tank. Fill them up and throw a couple Minos in there.

"NO Sir it don't have any ballast but I do have a couple live wells for bait"

(The reason people keep say 210 is because it doesn't take much weight to make a really good wake.)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-09-2016, 9:21 AM Reply   
start tucking lead everywhere. pull out your interior and put it in the gunnels. under seats, behind walls, etc. won't take long and you'll have a fully loaded boat all the time. watch your trailer tires closely for right pressure and sidewall cracking. you just gotta get creative. a buddy had a 2 steel plates under rear seats of his 2001. prolly 600 lbs easy

I lived on a no ballast lake and used sand bags before they started enforcing it. moved shortly after they enforced it but still have friends who ride that lake with no problem.

if you get a 210, build a false floor above 300 lbs of lead on each side. open up your compartments and let them look around. Roll with a big crew and they'll just write you off after a while. don't run around by yourself at wakeboard speed

as for the last part, you're going to have to get involved.
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       02-09-2016, 10:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
I think this is the best idea we have had. Use some hard tanks on an old 210 plump it in and put a little door on top of hard tank. Fill them up and throw a couple Minos in there.

"NO Sir it don't have any ballast but I do have a couple live wells for bait"

(The reason people keep say 210 is because it doesn't take much weight to make a really good wake.)
LOL...I like the minnow idea. And yeah...I understand the 210 is one of the best low weight wakes....but didn't understand why everyone was suggesting the 210 "Old school" it when he said the boat couldn't physically have ballast installed in the boat. Old school still had bags or tanks just like New School...lol
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-10-2016, 5:57 AM Reply   
My first boat was a Nautique 95 super sport. Which is the Old 210 hull before it became a 210. And it came with no ballast or wake plate but with a 1000 pounds it put out a great wake.