Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-05-2013, 12:36 PM Reply   
Obviously slightly different price points but these are looking to be what I can narrow choices down to for a larger guy.....

any ideas/experiences? were talking 6' and between 240 and 260 pounds. intermediate rider.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-05-2013, 1:39 PM Reply   
Take the vault off the list. I have never been a fan of the the asymmetrical concept. If it actually worked, pros would have it on their boards too.

I really like the viva and the district shapes, but you want a sintered base. Even if you say you will never use it, you want the sintered base.

In the Ronix line, my pics for you are the 143 District Park and the 145 Bill. Both are big, fast, poppy and easy to ride.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-05-2013, 2:23 PM Reply   
The Viva is a great, fast, aggressive and yet consistent shape. The 144 certainly would align with your build. Its also a shape that will continue to deliver the harder you push it. Rode it for a few years and was quite happy.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-05-2013, 2:24 PM Reply   
.... I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a random shout for some board brand not mentioned in the title yet... haha
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       06-05-2013, 5:49 PM Reply   
Hey Justin, why the sintered base? Is it faster? Just wondering
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-06-2013, 9:15 AM Reply   
In general, the board is built a little tougher. The sintered models are a little stiffer and have a much more lively rebound off the wake. You can feel the response and the pop. The weight difference is tiny and so is the price on the Ronix.

Also, a lot of riders don't think they will ever need it and then boom, a 2.0 pops up a half mile down the street. You don't want to put the regular base on any terrain. It will wreck it.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-06-2013, 10:41 AM Reply   
Justin's spot on and that's really the stereotypical situation. Your buddies want to go travel to a 2.0 or a cable... it'll still void your warranty, but the base will hold up much better should you decide you want to slide something.

Let's put it this way, you'll have no regrets about a sintered base, even if you never "use" the feature.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-06-2013, 11:14 AM Reply   
I've been on the Viva since last season and I love it. It's crazy fast and super consistent. I have the regular base. I think I remember Sharpe saying in a video that unless you're gonna hit stuff stick with the regular to save weight, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       06-06-2013, 2:26 PM Reply   
Demoed the District (normal base) today. It was a pretty fun board. My normal board is last year.s Ronix One Modello (normal base). I found the District to be less abrupt, a little faster and more user friendly than the one. I feel like the One had more pop though. I am guessing this is due to the rocker differences. Not sure if I am going to make the permanent switch or not. Need to ride them back to back.

Overall, I would say for a board that can be had for $320, the District was very solid.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-06-2013, 3:33 PM Reply   
I have a 2011 District that I use from time to time (Slingshot Reflex is my primary board) and I find it to be a fun, fast, and predictable board. The board is very forgiving if your timing is a little off on your pop. It's a great all around board and will probably be in Ronix's line up for a while.