Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-20-2011, 5:48 PM Reply   
Gonna start lookin to upgrade to a V Drive and lookin for opinions and experience with makes and models. Want something 6yrs old or newer and you guys will surely point me in the right direction. We surf more than board these days. Would appreciate detailed feedback on what you like and dislike about the make/model ect.... If anyone has one for sale in the next 1-9months PM me, Live in Indiana so midwest would be best to be able to check it out ect... Thanks guys.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-20-2011, 6:35 PM Reply   
Whats your price range going to be? That will possibly narrow down or knock out a few models/brands.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-20-2011, 6:39 PM Reply   
The malibu vtx is the best 20' boat on the market in every respect IMO.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-20-2011, 8:31 PM Reply   
I agree about the VTX. I am on my second one and have zero regrets
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-20-2011, 9:28 PM Reply   
Brian, like someone else said what is your price range? Also, are you stuck to extactly 20' or can you go up to say a 21? Are you looking for something compact that fits in a garage? Where or why did you come up wit 6 years old? What if you found the perfect boat but t is 7 years old? Is it automatically off your list? Assuming you can go up close to or all the way to 21' here is a list of boats I would look at.

Mastercraft x2(2006 or newer)
Malibu vtx
Supra 20ssv
Axis a20
sanger. V210
Mb 21 team widebody
Mb 21 tomcat
Moomba outback v

I think I would look at either the a20 or either of the mb's. You can get either new for around 50k I think. Better then buying a 2 or 3 year old x2 or vtx for the same price. I actually really like the x2 and vtx but new for about the same price wins especially since the reviews seem to prove that bot the Mb and axis are dinamite boats. Ifyou are restriced to 30 to 40 k then loom at the ssv and outback v. If limited to under 25 or 30 the v210 is an awesome boat.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-21-2011, 5:44 AM Reply   
I'd still take a couple year old VTX over a new a20, you'll get just as good a wake and more bang for your buck, plus the VTX is seriously holding its value. You can't find a VTX for less than 45k.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-21-2011, 6:25 AM Reply   
The VTX is a nice boat for sure. I love the way it handles/drives, and it's probably the best crossover of the bunch. Indeed I came very close to buying that boat TWICE.

What killed it for me both times was such a tiny interior on a boat that takes up so much garage space. It's deceiving. It may be a 20' boat, but in your garage it's more like a 22' boat with the massive power wedge protruding out the back. Even with the wedge down the bracket sticks out 18". So if your 20' restriction is based on a garage limitation, the VTX is not for you. My 21' MB is tons bigger inside, and takes up less garage space than the 20' VTX.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-21-2011, 6:41 AM Reply   
No garage restriction. Lake restriction is the issue. Under 45k, 30k range would be best for us in this economy, age not so much but I had to start and end somewhere.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-21-2011, 7:19 AM Reply   
they make great surf boats and meets your criteria, 6 yo and under 30k
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=28762

heres mine

the 06+ LSV is too long for you (21'-6")
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-21-2011, 7:58 AM Reply   
Very nice surf wave man. Malibus make great surf waves. Here is my VTX wave
Attached Images

Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-21-2011, 9:01 AM Reply   
Brand new Tige R20's come in the $45K range equipped like an A20. Great looking boats and throw an awesome surfwake (that I've seen from photos only). I heard the wakeboard wake a bit on the narrow side but can be built well.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-21-2011, 9:23 AM Reply   
Brian I encourage you to take a look at all the 20' boats mentioned in this thread. Wakeboard, ski if you do that, and wakesurf behind them all. Test drive them as well. All things considered I think your choice will be clear and easy at that point.