Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-03-2016, 12:01 PM Reply   
What do you know about them? I know nothing and have never used one. I have a canoe on my lake and I have the jet ski to travel to any lake with a boat ramp around central florida, including the east and west coasts, but it is difficult to load up the canoe on my truck. Anyways, a couple months back I went to see the manatee at crystal river and I liked the area, but am too cheap to spend the 50 bucks to rent a kayak, so I want to buy some kayaks that I can throw in the truck (8 to 9 ft max?) And go to crystal river. I notice there are two types, ones you sit in and ones you sit on, and I am thinking the ones you sit on would be fine for calm water which is al I will ever be on and they have some cheap ones at Sams
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-03-2016, 12:41 PM Reply   
I have a sit in. Its fun to tool around the lake with and fish out of. Other than that I don't know much about them either. I got mine at Dicks for under $200. It was money well spent. The sit on top ones sound like they would do fine as well.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-03-2016, 12:46 PM Reply   
I have two of the sit ins. If you want to be able to get out to swim and get back in, then the sit on tops are probably the way to go.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-03-2016, 1:49 PM Reply   
3 words
Hobie Mirage drive.

Get a Hobie that suits your style outfitted with a mirage drive and you're good to go.

Hobie has like 5 different size sit on top kayak's that have the Mirage drivev system

Some kayaks are smaller and wider like the Hobie outback. The wider the kayak the more stable but slower. the longer and thinner the faster but not as maneuverable.

So figure out what you're main use for the kayak is going to be. Example if you're going to use it for fishing a smaller wider kayak would be your choice. But if you're looking for something to commute with or export or go long distances a longer thinner kayak is the ticket.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-03-2016, 1:51 PM Reply   
This is the one I have
http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-revolution-16/
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-03-2016, 6:02 PM Reply   
G, I think you missed the part about me being cheap, all we are going to do is throw them in the back of the truck head up to crystal river city and meander around watching the manatee, the manatee could probably beat us in a race. I have family coming down so they will probably want to try them out, so no experts here. I looked on Craigslist and found a cheap one but it said "needs work" what's that mean? You have to repair holes? I really couldn't tell the difference between a cheap $200 and the ones that go for thousands. The ones at Sam's are only a couple hundred sit on top and I'm pretty sure they don't need work. Has anyone seen them at Sam's, seems like they would hold up for several years but like I said I don't know anything about them and I don't want to throw my money away. I know it's not the best quality, but most things at Sam's are at least usable and fairly durable, just need to know wether to buy a used one or buy the new one of lesser quality.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-03-2016, 6:26 PM Reply   
Joe: sorry I did miss the cheep part. The ones I talked about should be in the $800-$1500 range so my bad. And if you in a Marage and everyone else is in a traditional kayak then that's no fun.

Do your self a favor Never get on a Hobie then. If you want a cheapie and you get on a Hobie your gonna be wishing you hadn't. They move effortlessly threw the water at a pretty good clip.

Example.

http://youtu.be/D0rvFdLdplA
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-04-2016, 8:07 AM Reply   
I think the new one is the best deal. When I've looked at kayaks on CL the used ones really aren't much cheaper than a good deal on a new one. They all seem pretty solid to me. Last year I bought a used one off CL and a cheap new one from Dicks. If I was going to get another I'd just looked for a deal on a cheap new one.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-12-2016, 2:21 PM Reply   
Yes John, I did buy the new ones at Sams, and glad I did, did not relize that kayaking carried over to wakeboarding, but it is a great workout! Now, if the wind ever stops here, give me a call to hit the lake! Until then, I guess I will be kayaking?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-13-2016, 9:17 AM Reply   
Yeah, I grab a beer, paddle as hard as I can to the opposite side of the lake, then stop and enjoy the beer. Great workout for the arms and the euphoric feeling from the intense paddling makes the beer taste even better. I kind of regret not getting at least one sit on top. If I want to swim I have to go to part of the lake that's shallow enough to get in and out. I may end up getting a couple of sit on tops and taking my sit ins up to my cabin where i can use them on the Oklawaha river.

Yeah, the wind has been ridiculous lately. Just put a new steering cable in my Nautique yesterday. Can't wait to get out behind a boat with a decent wake like yours.
Old     (jcon44)      Join Date: Aug 2012 Location: denver, NC       03-14-2016, 10:03 AM Reply   
FYI, i have a sit on top and its a fairly wet ride. may not be the case with all of them but the water from the paddle ends up dripping on your legs and settles where you're sitting so take that into consideration.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-17-2016, 4:58 PM Reply   
Anytime john, just give me a call to remind me when this wind has stopped.
Joe, my sit on top has two holes up front so any water at the seat runs out up front, it's also very stable, which I like, but it has a lot of drag on the water, but that's OK for me.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-18-2016, 8:11 AM Reply   
Will do Steve. Just saw a sit on top at Costco for $300. But I'll wait until I see a $200 one.