Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old    abadsvt            06-20-2006, 9:25 PM Reply   
I am going to be trying tantrums tommorrow so i was wondering if any of you have any tips? I can easy jump the wake, 180's, backrolls and so on so i am not a beginner. Thanks ahead of the time!!!!!
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-20-2006, 9:32 PM Reply   
wear a helmet
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-20-2006, 9:34 PM Reply   
nice help, mango.

http://www.wakeboarder.com/tricks/tantrum.phtml

Tantrum

Rider: Ryan Stephens
The Tantrum is one of the most classic tricks in wakeboarding, and is usually one of the first inverts a rider wants to learn. The Tantrum is best described as being a simple back flip as you'd do one on the trampoline. It was invented by Eric Perez very early on in the history of wakeboarding, and it's one of the best inverts for building on. It can be grabbed in various ways for style, and there are a lot of harder inverts that can be built off the Tantrum like a Tantrum to Blind, Whirlybird, and Moby Dick.

Prerequisties
Before trying a Tantrum you should be able to do the following things:
1. Have very good edge control, and be comfortable with aggressive heelside cuts and big landings.

Performing the trick
Watch this trick as a Quicktime Movie.

Upload
Cut out wide as if you're going to perform a very aggressive heelside wake jump. Wait for the boat to start to pull you back in and start edging aggressively and build a lot of speed towards the wake.

Upload
A Tantrum is different from most other tricks in that you don't hold your edge all the way through the wake. It's a "trip flip", which means when you get near the wake you want switch from your aggressive edge with the weight on your heels to standing tall with your weight more towards your toes. When you perform that movement quickly it feels as if the wake is "tripping" you up into the air. Combining that with standing tall at the tip of the wake and you'll generate great pop. Make sure you let go with your back hand so you can square up your shoulders to the wake.

Upload
After you get your pop, you want to lead the rotation straight back towards the shore you're heading towards. Drive the rotation with your shoulders and hips, and it might help to look back with your head. However, you really don't want to violently move your head to initiate the rotation. Keep the handle in a bit to retain control and keep the rope tension tight.

Upload
As you finish your rotation, get your eyes down towards the water and begin to bring the handle in closer to your body to be in good control. You're going to need to bend your knees soon to absorb the impact, so get ready.

Upload
When landing keep the rope under control and bend your knees to absorb the impact. You might land anywhere from on the downside of the wake, in the hole, or all the way out in the flats, so be prepared.

Style additions
1. Learn it switch
2. Once you've got it down, take it super big by taking a big hard cut at it.
3. Grab it Indy, Roast Beef, Crail, or Nuclear.

Moving On
The Tantrum helps you do the following tricks:
1. Tantrum to Fakie
2. Tantrum to Blind
3. Whirlybird
4. Moby Dick

(Message edited by dakid on June 20, 2006)
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-20-2006, 9:43 PM Reply   
only thing you need to remember...

Wait as long as you can before throwing it. And then wait longer. and then wait longer. and then longer, and then just when you think you can't wait any longer, wait longer. and THEN throw it.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-20-2006, 9:56 PM Reply   
that is a lot of thinking aden..wait..wait...i cant think like that..
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-20-2006, 9:58 PM Reply   
yeah, but aden's absolutely right. it's a trick that you definitely want to wait on. leave early and the trick gets a new name...ankle breaker!
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-20-2006, 10:07 PM Reply   
Yep, Joe.

And once you leave early once, you will never be able to go as big as you could again. (or it takes LOTS of practice).

I used to have huge tantrums... one day it was rough and for some reason I was throwing them at the trough of the wake, almost hitting my head on the wake. Since that day I can't do decent tantrums. They are getting a bit better, especially my switch ones, but nowhere near as big as they were before. It's a nasty habbit.
Old    murrayair            06-20-2006, 10:22 PM Reply   
Make sure you get enough speed coming into the wake. You also might want to over-exadurate your trip-flip edge until you have it down.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-21-2006, 12:31 AM Reply   
I will be throwing a Tantrum tomorrow if I do not get my boat back! And you thought your tantrums were ugly
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-21-2006, 1:03 AM Reply   
Tom...
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-21-2006, 6:49 AM Reply   
I am also going to try one this weekend

my instructor said...that since I am on vacation...and he isn't there watching...to act as if I am doing a regular 1 wake jump
.......switch to the toes side edge and let go of the rope

as I pop...he wants me to just flop on my back as I bring my knees up...particularly my front knee

he wants me to get used to doing that...working on the pop, and the late timing of the flop

he warned me several times not to try anything more without him....he said that the most common injury is the ankles from poor form and timing

I'm gunna do what he says...but not looking forward to flopping on my back at 20mph
Old    abadsvt            06-21-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
Thanks for the comments guys! I am aware i can get hurt trying but ankle brakers! That scares the #$@! out of me. I will still try it, and lets hope it is a natural flip for me!
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-21-2006, 12:26 PM Reply   
You don't always have to trip off the wake. It's textbook to do it that way but it can also be done by jumping the wake then waiting till your almost at the highest point and throw a backflip. I do it both ways I tend to go bigger doing the backflip though.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-21-2006, 12:47 PM Reply   
I completely wrecked my ankle on my first tantrum attempt. Here's a question: what do you think about trying to learn them on a wakeskate, just to get the feel and the rotation down?
Old     (oopsds92)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-30-2006, 7:18 PM Reply   
ya i want to try one the next time i go out and i can do backflips on the trampoline solid and i have a good w2w jump so will it be that hard?
Old     (zeda)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-03-2006, 9:37 AM Reply   
Cliff,

I think your instuctor has given you bad advise. Personally, I wouldn't try a trick (or half initiation of a trick) unless I put every effort into landing it. Seems like people are really scared to get hurt. Experience tells me that if you hesitate, you are scared, tight, and not relaxed, your chances of getting injured are greater. When I learned the tantrum, I just started throwing it and after about 25 or 30 attempts, I landed one. Now I land about 25% and figure new things out everytime I attempt one. I also make it a point to give new tricks four attempts and then move onto something different to avoid building bad habbits. That's just my opinion. Good luck.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-03-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
i just landed my first ones yesterday and man does it feel good. now i gotta see if i can do them again on tuesday.

definitely dont do the trick half assed. go at it like you want to land it. by bringing your knees in it sounds like you want to put a knee into your chin(that would hurt!) at the top while turning your board really lay out by arching your back.

you can start of with throwing it and letting go of the rope but still doing the backflip. eventually hanging onto the rope will help you land the trick by pulling you around. good luck!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-03-2006, 10:14 AM Reply   
Josh, did you buy the boat? Post pics.