Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (ssevey17)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-19-2016, 8:47 AM Reply   
What do you guys do for off season training? I'm getting back into wakeboarding from a 4 year hiatus. I'd love to be able to practice my spins and inverts, but I don't have a trampoline... I've done weighted handle passes and attempted to try spins with a rope (but i don't jump very high without a trampoline...)
Old     (ssevey17)      Join Date: Aug 2016       09-23-2016, 7:44 PM Reply   
450 views and no replies. Well I broke down and bought a trampoline to practice in the off season
Old     (janzy)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-25-2016, 6:51 PM Reply   
I live up north so I mainly snowboard for the off season. I just started taking olympic trampoline lesson this fall, I'm hoping it'll help with air awareness for inverts. Can't really go wrong with a trampoline with some kind of handle for training tough. I have a tramp at home and the net saved my ass on numerous occasions, so you might think about getting one if you don't already have it.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       09-26-2016, 5:13 AM Reply   
Idk about off season training but I've been doing more individual leg workouts (http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise...-barbell-squat) and focusing on range of motion rather than heavy weight. Maybe its in my head but I've noticed it becoming easier to push off at the wake and I'm getting higher as a result.

Also been doing these more (http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise...-parallel-bars) and lifting my knees up for Indy grabs has been more consistent. I think this one is core strength and muscle memory.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       09-26-2016, 9:04 AM Reply   
I snowboard as well. Also, pullups, pushups etc to maintain my upper body. I like Chase's ideas when it comes to lifting. The focus on the core is a good idea.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       12-06-2016, 1:02 PM Reply   
lots of gym work. any board sports are going to be beneficial to an extent. I replicate movements on the cable machine to help with elbow strain and just holding the "handle" close.

Theres always the old handle and detergent bottle trick to work on handle passes.

Trampolines are awesome for air awareness and just learning how your body feels in whatever trick youre trying. down side is that you can replicate the "pull from the boat" tension on the line. on the other hand, your timing with passing the handle on 7's and 9's will be better.

you made a good investment no doubt.
Old     (Lil_Jeremy)      Join Date: Dec 2016       12-06-2016, 5:38 PM Reply   
I second the board sports. If anything they'll help a bit with muscle memory. Otherwise, I would just work on the main leg muscles, grip strength, etc.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-06-2016, 6:20 PM Reply   
I use a rower exclusively. But I'm old and married so I don't need pythons to score hotties. Its a good workout pre dawn before I start my day. Keeps me fit enough to chase and coach the kiddos, ride, foot, ski and golf..all I need. I have a tramp too but I'm to chicken to get on it. That's for the kids.
Works for me. I still ride my longboard to the grocery store a few nights a week. Does that count?
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-07-2016, 7:23 AM Reply   
I'm actually doing crossfit this winter. My progression this last year was disappointing so that has pushed me to do some off water training. I'm working hard in the gym and plan on hitting it really hard this next season.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-09-2016, 9:35 AM Reply   
What do ya know, this just got published yesterday.

Old     (ATB0713)      Join Date: Oct 2013 Location: Massachusetts       12-09-2016, 10:15 AM Reply   
Core workouts
Upper body once a week
Rowing machine
Mad. Squats!!!
Snowboard
Old     (BobClark123)      Join Date: Mar 2017       08-03-2017, 6:49 PM Reply   
I do more squats and spend more time in the gym. Surfing too!
Old     (AncientCityCustoms)      Join Date: Jul 2017       08-04-2017, 6:58 AM Reply   
I am no fitness expert but here is what has helped me. Getting a good gym routine on and off season is crucial. Since I mainly ride on the weekends this kin of what both my on and off season training looks like:

Monday/Thursday: Legs & Core, Monday Low weight Higher Reps, Thursday High Weight Low Reps plus cardio (20 minute HIIT)
Tuesday/Friday: Chest & Triceps, Low weight high reps, Friday High weight low reps plus cardio (20 minute HIIT)
Wednesdays : Back & Biceps High weight low reps but negative reps and drop sets plus cardio (20 minute HIIT)
At least two weekdays I will get on the trampoline as well. I highly recommend a net as Jan stated, has saved my ass too plenty of times.
Every 4-6 weeks I rotate my exercises.

Weekends I'm lucky to ride both days but the day I do not ride, I'll try to hit every muscle group for 12-15 reps but only 2 sets. Just to keep loose for the week. No cardio on weekends. Also, I always do cardio at the end of my workout, has really helped with my stamina.

Off season I am in the gym both Saturday and Sunday but focus more on stretching and cardio then I do lifting weight. Box jumps and jump rope are two exercise that I don't think get enough credit.

If your interested, I have a full excel breakdown of my exercises(yeah i'm that guy), I will post it.

This past off season I really focused on getting down to a target weight I thought would help me be a better rider. Since high school I've always been in the 200+ range and peaked at around 220 after college (beer diet). I wanted to get down to around 180 this year and as of April I'm sitting at 186 on a bad day, 182 on a good day. I feel that finding the right riding weight is also very important. I was able to drop a board size which I have much more control over it.
I've been riding for 10 years or so but have really started focusing on becoming a better rider, not the weekend warrior, and this has helped me tremendously.
Old     (Warnerstyle)      Join Date: Aug 2017       09-17-2017, 6:47 PM Reply   
Pull-Ups are a must ! At least twice a week, start with as many as you can do, even if its only 1. After working your way up to reps of ten, say hello to the new, stronger, easier jumpstarting You !