Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (xtreme434)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-27-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
What up guys I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on helmets.. A lot of people I know wear them but I don't think I need one.. We are just crashing into water, I mean it does hurt but I don't think helmets are needed. Feel free to post on here I want to hear what you guys think about them. If you recommend them what kind should I get?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-27-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
CONCUSSION! it is caused by sudden stop of motion and brain slams into skull.the water isn't that hard. i broke my tailbone on raley attempts. dallas friday broke her thigh bone upon impact with water. water isn't that hard by itself just add speed and it gets harder by the mph.compare how it feels to catch an edge at 10 mph to 20mph.which feel less painful ?call me a whimp it doesn't hurt.all i know is i don't see stars when i crash wearing my helmet.
Old     (theanimal)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-27-2010, 12:22 PM Reply   
I just got my helmet in the other day and am going to try it out this weekend. I have had numerous concussions from football in high school all the way to motocross wrecks and got my first one on the wakeboard a few weeks ago.
Im not so sure it will stop the concussions but i figure worst case it will stop the board or something in the water from splitting my head open.
Old     (apache8093)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-27-2010, 12:57 PM Reply   
Helmets are a good idea, I wound up with 9 stitches in my temple after a bad wipeout, wish I had been wearing a helmet at the time, would have saved me a trip to the ER lol.
Old    benj_t            07-27-2010, 3:53 PM Reply   
I honestly dont think a helmet helps you at all unless you are hitting rails....or unless your board hits you in the head often, but I have never had that happen
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-27-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benj_t View Post
I honestly dont think a helmet helps you at all unless you are hitting rails....or unless your board hits you in the head often, but I have never had that happen
benj next time you take a digger and are wearing a helmet compare how you feel. especially a heelside blind digger!
Old    dperizzolo            07-27-2010, 5:27 PM Reply   
Can help to prevent concussions and ruptured ear drums, but can increase the risk of whip lash and neck injuries as a helmet will make your head more bouyant. Do what you want though. There will be a lot of yes' and no's.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-27-2010, 6:28 PM Reply   
I recommend the SEARCH function. So many threads about helmets...
Old    ScottRobinson            07-27-2010, 7:49 PM Reply   
There are tons of threads on here about helmets and someone always says the same ole crap. "Helmets will create a whip lash effect" I think that is total crap. If that were the case no sport would wear helmets. I have had two concussions and neither were from hitting my head on a rail or my board. Both were total diggers that a helmet would have helped on. Now I rock the helmet every time I go out. So much better to go out feeling more confident. Shred Ready are great helmets.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-27-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
DING DING DING! lol LET'S GET IT ON! haha
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-27-2010, 8:16 PM Reply   
ben they aren't mad they're just writing their opinions.but the guys with the helmets will last longer in the fight.LOL
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-27-2010, 8:21 PM Reply   
Yeah, I just love when these threads show up because it's always the same story. At the end of the day, the people who like wearing helmets will continue to do so, and those who don't will continue not to. It all comes down to the preference, and that's been the final result of every one of these threads I've seen thus far.

My preference: 2-3 concussions without, 0 with. I've enjoyed the trend. Plus the protection against popping an ear drum.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-27-2010, 8:28 PM Reply   
i agree totally.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       07-28-2010, 11:57 AM Reply   
hmmm.....
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-28-2010, 4:41 PM Reply   
3 concussions all on diggers without a helmet. One front (Greatest face plant of all time) and two backside.

zero with a helmet. I sport it even just cruising cause I get sloppy cruising and thats when the edge bites.

I use a Protech and am shopping a S Scrappy for #1 son.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-28-2010, 4:48 PM Reply   
thank you baitkiller. the more people see examples of sucess with a helmet like me and you have written the more people may want to try one. i know alot of people say they don't look cool. but the kids at the cable parks just dress them up with stickers, heck so do i . that way they will think i'm young till i take my helmet off and they see thats not the only grey i'm wearing.LOL
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-28-2010, 4:57 PM Reply   
Yeah, that design your own graphics that SR does should inspire some of the younger guys.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-28-2010, 11:05 PM Reply   
let me start by saying this, i was never a believer in the wake helmet until now. I WILL NOT RIDE AGAIN WITHOUT IT!!! now for the reasons why..... last year i started spinning and thats all im into now. after multiple concussions and just straight get lit the F up i said enough is enough. my last bad one without a helmet was back in march on a simple hs 3. i have this trick in the bag and got lazy and BAMMMM cased it perfectly with my back facing the boat and my hs edge digging into the lip of the wake. i hit the back of my head so hard on the crest of the wake i was out, along with a few separated ribs and crazy back pain. took JR and the wife to get me in the boat, really sucked. so move forward...........after a couple months off recovery and a head full of fear now i go ride with my new PRO TECH ACE WAKE helmet. rode a couple sets working on straight airs 1's etc... time for 3's. hit bs 1 bs 3 etc now for the devil 3 and BAMMM same F-ing crash as before only this time harder. all i can say is i didnt feel a thing with my head. never saw stars no bell ring no hazy feeling etc... fast forward to now, i ride with it every day and i for some reason like to get lit the f up alot, lol and i tell you they work, hands down. oh, i got over the devil 3 fear and got em back in the bag, sweet!!!!!

i too wear it even while riding slow sets working on new tricks. i've had concussions at slow speed with no weight but we ride slumped wakes at 80' at 23+ mph and when you take a digger on my wake or behind the crusher its like hitting the back of your head on concrete.

Last edited by westsiderippa; 07-28-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-29-2010, 5:03 AM Reply   
excellent story bryan.the more people hear of sucess with the helmet especially at 80' and 23 mph + .the more they too may want to try a helmet.THANKS!
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-29-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
http://www.ShredReady.com
Attached Images

Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-29-2010, 6:33 PM Reply   
hey, safety never takes a holiday. LOL!!!!