Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-20-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
My buddy has an 02 Xstar and the wake WAS awesome. We installed a new steering cable and now the wake will not balance. It is super mellow on one side and peaky steep on the other. The dealer cant figure it put and weighting it different way doesnt help. What could it be? Any help would be appreciated.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-20-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
im sorry but if your stearing straight your stearing straight. it sounds like you need some weight on the other side. did you check if the ballest is emptying?? some times they wont fill or empty on one side
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-20-2008, 2:11 PM Reply   
Does the boat lean to one side when sitting still?
Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-20-2008, 6:54 PM Reply   
No, it does not lean and Michael, I would know if it was a weight problem maybe we are just throwing constant dumpers and going in circles (idiot). Seriously anyone have any real advice? I think it is something with the rudder.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-20-2008, 6:57 PM Reply   
maybe you should not be such a d ic k and people would help you out.i hope your boat does doughnuts all summer
Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-20-2008, 8:07 PM Reply   
Kevin I am not trying to be a d ic k and it is not my boat. I just knew that people were going to try to address the obvious. I would think you fall inthe d ic k category with your d ic k h ea d comment on the doughnuts thanks for being a d ic k as well
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-20-2008, 8:15 PM Reply   
dude your and @## hole. i wasnt trying to state the obvious just x stars are natorious for ballest pump issues. Heres some advice go take the boat out and let go of the wheel if the boat drifts to one side than it is the rudder but i dont see that being the problem.
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-20-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
Being a former owner of a Mastercraft 205V/X-star/X-2/X-1, I have to second Michael's suggestions. Either the rudder is slightly bent or the rear ballast on the steep side is not emptying correctly. If you have a bent rudder there should be a noticeable vibration that was not there before. So I vote for ballast tank being partially full since you have not noticed a vibration.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-20-2008, 10:13 PM Reply   
agreed, either it is a weight issue, which would be easy to diagnose (as noted above), or it is a bent rudder.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-20-2008, 10:59 PM Reply   
my vote is youre a big enough pile of is leaning the boat to that side...
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-20-2008, 10:59 PM Reply   
Hey bro here is some advice: the key to a sweet wake is more ballast, try pulling the brass drain plug in the back of the boat then tie the boat up to the dock (idiot).

Dont ask for advice and then call them an idiot. Your first post makes no sense....So you thought changing the steering cable changed the wake!? (idiot)
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-20-2008, 11:51 PM Reply   
ouch.lol

OWNED
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       07-21-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
Ok, is this really necessary? The reputation of wakeworld is rapidly deteriorating because of conversations like this...on BOTH sides. Pretending to be a badass online is not very encouraging to people who want to learn something. Thanks Vision and erik, good advice.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-21-2008, 10:21 AM Reply   
Damn and I thought some of the people WakeSkating.com were bad
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-21-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
If you ask a question don't get pissy at some of the replies and if you're answering a question don't be a complete smart ass about it but seriously if you're asking for help don't be a D|ck to the people that are trying to help
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-21-2008, 10:44 AM Reply   
You guys have to admit, people were trying to help this punk and he came across as ungrateful a$$.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-21-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
I agree with J 100%
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-21-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
But always trust your ballast system gauges and pumps. Must be the rudder....LOL. I changed my oil and now my wake is all funny.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-21-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   
LOL. yea, don't look at your sacs, tap the guage with your finger, then post on WW.

Interesting Flux, I put new tires on the trailer and my wake is just MACKIN! I can play my stereo all day now too!
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-21-2008, 2:31 PM Reply   
Nice Nacho!!

I think I have one working gauge in my boat. Every now and then the planets align and they all work simultaneously so I quickly shut off the boat in fear of blowing a head gasket or worse. I think I need to swap out my digital gauges, surely this will balance my 02 SANTE wake. It's odd that the washy wake is always opposite the driver, or on the same side where everyone sits. Maybe my skags are out of alignment or my trailer brakes need bleeding.

(Message edited by Flux on July 21, 2008)
Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-21-2008, 7:43 PM Reply   
Alright I have been posting on her e for a long time I ahve gotten a lot of help and think I hav egiven a lot of help. Maybe I took Michaels post out of context and thought he being a smartA$s. I apologize and love you all very much I think that i will just keep my mouth shut from now on. I am now going to go shoot myself. Seriously I am sorry thought you were getting smart Michael and I do apologize. The boat has been weighted about every way you can heavy on one side, heavy on the other, equal balance, it does not wash on one side it just has two different shapes, drastically different. I change the steering cable because it was worn out and this started after we did that.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-22-2008, 12:18 AM Reply   
Alex
i really do apreciate you apology. i was just trying to help and i can understand how some stupid problem that can never be fixed can make one so pissed off.ask my friends.lol And im sorry for some of the lame junk after the fact but lets get this boat fixed. I have another question for you, really lame question but could be important, have you guys recently hit anything? maybe even getting on the trailer? i havnt done this before and i dont know if its possible but stand behind the boat on the trailer and have someone turn the wheel all the way to both sides and check the rudder movment.
Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-22-2008, 4:31 PM Reply   
This all started after we installed the steering cable. The dealer said that the steering cable is installed properly and that the tanks are emptying fine and filling. Iwill get him to check the rudder.
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-22-2008, 6:52 PM Reply   
Good suggestion by Michael to check for a bent rudder or even a bent skag. I know this is highly unlikely unless the boat is always in the water, but also check to make sure nothing is physically stuck to one of the skags. Just a small bag can screw up the wake.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-23-2008, 12:23 AM Reply   
so true vision, you know just a slightly bent scag or something stupid like that can throw off everything. its also really weird how after the change this problem arised.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-28-2008, 5:08 PM Reply   
got any pics of the washed wake? not tryin to be a smartarss so don't take it that way...but you said its just one side and you tried weighting it differently and balancing it out...so my question is if its just you and a driver with all ballast full and equally distributed and everything else in the boat distributed evenly (including you and driver), and its washed out on lets say the port side...and you add weight and shift everything over to stbd side, maybe even addin another sac to stbd side so much that its leanin on the stbd side, is it still washed out on only the port side? I know it may sound obvious and redundant but it might help you determine a couple of things. I'm not familiar with that year xstar but in a buddy of mine's bu it would wash to one side then when you got to just even its would swap and be washed to the other, no matter how even it would wash to one side or the other. we figured out two of the tracking fins on the bottom were slightly bent in opposite directions so it was causing the boat to never sit even. just a thought.
Old     (steve300ex)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-28-2008, 5:39 PM Reply   
as funny as this might sound, i came on here tonight to find out an answer to a similiar question, i have a avalanche and that particular boat is notorious for having a washed out port wake, some boats have it and some are fine. unfourtunately mine has it. It is just a thought but it occured to me today that my boats rudder is preloaded hard to steer right when u let go of the wheel, i read this in the manual to confirm. i am starting to really believe that my wake is booty on the port side cause of this. if i am correct this could probably the answer to your problem. who knows or maybe i have a bent tracking fin also. but it is odd that now your having the problem after you changed the cable.
Old     (xmarksthespot)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-29-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
i have an 01 x-star and a friend had the same hull x-2 and the wake always is steeper on the passenger side (port?). I cant really tell once im riding but when you look at the wake from the boat you can see a difference. Every MC with that hull ive been in has been like that. Still one of the best wakes i have ever ridden....will def not change hulls! haha