Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-29-2017, 6:14 AM Reply   
Bad weather day so thought I would put this out for comment. Flame me if you want...

Be reminded this is just in the spirit of fun of us boat owners comparing etiquette notes and horror stories.

I have had nothing with trouble with my snowboard buddies becoming wakeboarding regulars. (Mind you these are not friends per se they are just guys I snowboard with and met at the hill. they are old high school buddies of each other, but I just met them at the snow hill.). They love to board so want to come out as much as possible, and granted people that don't own a boat have no idea the commitment boat owners make. But these 2 guys shared a boat rental so I am a but surprised how tough a transition it has been.

I understand that we all have the 2 or 3 times a year guest that you don't expect money and borrows our stuff...This is mean for people that are regulars on your boat but don't own a boat so you can't go back and forth on theirs.

My horror stories with just these 2 guys...
1. these guys when they drive my boat yelling "hit it" and just jerking the throttle forward rather then moving it forward and even a medium amount of speed.
2. one of them just showing up with his 10 year old without asking if it is alright, and then kid complaining for next 3 hours, and then two weeks later asking if his kid could take a set. this is after I already told him 3 times that boating is pretty much the guys getting away from kids/wives for a while...and then I ask if his kid know how to wakeboard. and he is like, no, but that shouldn't be a problem...like I want to teach his kid how to wakeboard. if I wanted to I would have offered.
3. one of them bring his dog with assumption that the dog could piss and crap all over my yard, and when I call him on it, he is like no problem the dog can just stay in his car next 4 hours.
4. taking pictures of themselves and videos like they own the boat leaving boat owner out...boat rental attitude...glad I could drive for them....
5. one of them saying, "hey since I am giving you $8, make sure I got my 30 minutes"....on a fully loaded sacked out boat...like that would cover maybe half the cost.

Am I missing anything from below? We all want friends and people to ride with, but so hard to deal with people that just don't get it...

Boat regulars etiquette
• Have your own equipment
o board/bindings
o wetsuit/drysuit
o life jacket
o understand you are still using boat owners equipment (rope, handle) all of which wears out
• offer gas money
• carry gas cans to the boat
• remember that boats are expensive so treat the boat decent
o don’t throw or drag your equipment on the vinyl if you can help it
o don’t gun the motor. Yelling hit it and jerking throttle forward is just rude
• wipe down boat using your own towel if one is not provided
• always ask before you bring extra people…don’t just show up with people and assume it is ok to bring them on the boat, even if they are just going to watch
o boat owner understands that you are probably having a good time and would like to share the experience with your family…but at that point you gotta get your own boat
• Offer to drive the boat, it not a taxi cab or uber experience

Last edited by scottb7; 05-29-2017 at 6:22 AM.