Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       05-10-2017, 8:52 AM Reply   
Back in the day general consensus was that smaller boards were landing softer, because they 'sink' a bit more upon impact with the water. I could, and can, see how that works.
Last couple (many) years I've only been reading that bigger boards (comparing same shape in different sizes of course) land softer. Can someone explain?
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       05-10-2017, 10:01 AM Reply   
Thats an interesting observation. I have heard that bigger boards are softer landing, but I'll see what other people have to say. What I can definitely say is that from my experience bigger boards have EASIER landings. My District is alot less picky than my friends board or my old board. IT's possible it's the board shape, but I think its the size, districts are known to be wide.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-10-2017, 10:14 AM Reply   
I went from a 140 HL Marek to a 144 HL Kruz and noticed softer landings and more consistency off the wake. I know they are slightly different boards but they are basically the same. It may be that the 140 was too small for me at 6' 195lbs but I feel the landings are softer and more forgiving on the larger board. Pop also increased but that is expected with the increased surface area. How do you get more pop and softer landings? Have no idea and makes no sense but just my observation.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       05-11-2017, 3:54 PM Reply   
In my 13+ years of boarding, I've never heard someone say a smaller board lands softer for that reason. The theory I've heard (and subscribe to) is Bigger surface area = more displacement and therefore softer landing. Also Bigger surface area = more pop due to wake contact.

To be honest, I don't know the difference it makes. To me it was quite noticeable when I went from a 134 Shane to a 141 Shane, (although it could be placebo) but again, if someone wanted to argue the point we'd have to get Mythbusters on board. Pardon the pun.
I now ride a 139 Watson/Classic and have found it's the best size/pop/landings/handling of any board I've ever tried. (5' 8, 165lbs)
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-11-2017, 4:14 PM Reply   
ive always heard what Will stated above ..

only negative of a larger board behind a boat is you have to wait a split second more to release from the wake and it will be a lot harder to do rotations IE spins or mobes..
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       05-11-2017, 5:54 PM Reply   
I have a 139 Watson classic basically brand new for sale! Lol the black and red 1 from a coulple years ago
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       05-11-2017, 5:55 PM Reply   
^shameless!
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       05-11-2017, 10:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorjaw View Post
In my 13+ years of boarding, I've never heard someone say a smaller board lands softer for that reason. The theory I've heard (and subscribe to) is Bigger surface area = more displacement and therefore softer landing. Also Bigger surface area = more pop due to wake contact.
Yeah exactly, this theory has been around for a while. I was talking late 90's probably, when the Wakelist was still around (anyone?!).
Still: doesn't make sense to me. Bigger surface area = more flotation/upward push and therefore harder landing. I'd say...
Where's Jimmy Redmon when you need him?!
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-12-2017, 5:10 AM Reply   
Basic physics. The more a board sinks into the water while landing, the more it wants to stop / slow down making the landing feel more harsh. This is where the added surface area makes a difference. The board rides higher in the water and maintains its speed upon landing. Ronix likes to market this as "glide speed" but, it's purely maintaining speed upon landing. Anytime something in motion comes to an abrupt stop, it's bad. This is different than the idea of breaking surface tension with things likes a large center spine like the Hyperlite Tribute or CWB AA had. That definitely helps as well but can change the ride characteristics a little. So, all that to say, everyone is touting speed right now and the big boards help that because they ride higher on the water.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-12-2017, 8:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS_mi View Post
Basic physics. The more a board sinks into the water while landing, the more it wants to stop / slow down making the landing feel more harsh. This is where the added surface area makes a difference. The board rides higher in the water and maintains its speed upon landing. Ronix likes to market this as "glide speed" but, it's purely maintaining speed upon landing. Anytime something in motion comes to an abrupt stop, it's bad. This is different than the idea of breaking surface tension with things likes a large center spine like the Hyperlite Tribute or CWB AA had. That definitely helps as well but can change the ride characteristics a little. So, all that to say, everyone is touting speed right now and the big boards help that because they ride higher on the water.
Nailed it.

A soft landing is about the board maintaining speed. I believe the spine helps, like on a boat, the V-shape hits the water first and provides a bit of a cushion.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-12-2017, 8:04 AM Reply   
And please don't say "Basic physics". There's nothing basic about physics for most of us.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-14-2017, 12:26 PM Reply   
I have weighed the same weight for the last 4 years (160lbs) and have ridden many different sizes and shapes, so I suppose I could put some input in.

4 years ago I was riding a lot of boat and thats around when I first took the transition from a loaded 8.1 2004-2012 xstar to the loaded supercharged g23 sized wakes.
Before I was riding a 138 and when I started riding the new mega wakes I changed to a 141 of the same model board because I heard the landings were softer on larger boards. I noticed that my nose wouldn't get hung up in the curl of the wake as often with the larger board, but man my landings were still brutal. In my opinion the size of board shouldn't have a ton of effect on how hard you are landing unless you are much heavier than I am riding a 135 or less.

What I think does make a difference in landings though, is the rocker of the board and rigidity.

On the cable I have ridden tons of different boards from different brands, sizes, rocker, rigidity etc.

For instance the Hyperlite Franchise FLX (discontinued) was the flattest board I have ever ridden. It rode around on the water fast as hell, but landed heavier than any board I have ever ridden.

The obrien SOB, has alot of rocker, the water dispersed well on landings and landed super soft, but it was very slow due to the massive rocker.

The CWB woodro, has a rocker about half way between the previous, so the landings are somewhat soft, but not as soft as the SOB, but the board is still somewhat fast without the drag of the sob, but nowhere near as fast as the flx.

also I find some of the slingshot boards like the terrain have so much flex that upon landing the rocker completely flattens out resulting in hard impact.

Pretty much I think find a board size that suits your weight and test a few different shapes to find what you like best

Flat boards = less tiring and longer riding sessions, but have brutal landings

Rocker boards = more tiring, but break up the water on impact.

Camber = just don't

Also if the board has way too much rocker like a humanoid plank, you will have zero glide speed like mentioned above and that wont be the best for landings.

over my years of wakeboarding thats kind of my opinion of how it works for me. I am sure there are other factors like spines and stuff but yeah for the most part thats what I think.

oh and the last year I have been riding a 140
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-14-2017, 1:30 PM Reply   
lol @ camber.

They are basically just 3 stage boards with a big flat spot now.

I agree with what JD says, also depends on if you're landing in the flats or w2w, too

Big rockers land super soft wake 2 wake, not in the flats though...
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       05-16-2017, 7:30 PM Reply   
Good info JB, thanks.
Not quite convinced by Corey's argument. It's just as much "Basic physics" that a smaller boards sinks a bit more and so softens the impact a bit. Kind of a 'horizontal vs vertical impact' argument. What you gain by 'horizontal' by riding a larger board you lose by 'vertical'. And vice versa.
Old     (miaminautiqueintl)      Join Date: May 2017       05-17-2017, 8:00 AM Reply   
Hey guys! New to this forum and I like the kinds of discussions you all have here. I currently ride a Liquid Force FLX and like JB said, the Franchise FLX from Hyperlite is very flat and so is this one. Fast? yes. But what I have noticed is that the actual flex between both boards are not the same. The Franchise is a bit more stiff than the FLX by Liquid Force. My landings for the most part are fairly smooth and soft due to the way I land while taking advantage of the boards' flex itself.

Besides the board, dont you guys think the bindings have a lot to do with the impact from landing?

What do you all think and what bindings are you guys using?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-17-2017, 9:23 AM Reply   
"It's just as much "Basic physics" that a smaller boards sinks a bit more and so softens the impact a bit. "

It's a speed thing. The smaller board which rider lower in the water is going to drag more when it lands in the flats.....in my experience. However, if you're dropping out of the sky with no line tension / forward motion then the board size probably won't matter much.

"Besides the board, don't you guys think the bindings have a lot to do with the impact from landing? "

Not so much. I think they reduce vibration and a little shock.