Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (MMPres)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-22-2015, 10:33 PM Reply   
Looking for a little input from you guys. I'm shopping for a new boat this next season. Given my budget, I have started to wittle down the field. Right now, the options are an Axis A22, Moomba Craz and an NXT 20/22. I'm well versed in the industry to know specs and features; however, I wanted some opinions about what's behind the boat. I'm an intermediate wakeboarder (2 inverts, raley, 3's in my quiver) and I usually ride behind a loaded boat. Any opinions on the wakes of these boats? Anyone had a shot to take the Craze out for a spin since it's brand new for '16? Any and all opinions would be heard and appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-23-2015, 8:25 AM Reply   
Here are my 2cents if I were in the same situation...
NXT is too narrow. Nice looking boat but verdict is still out.
AXIS has a proven wake so should be up for comparison. Just fit and finish is not as nice as the other 2
CRAZ have not seen wake and wave, but heard good things and it has nice fit and finish for that price point

Those are just things I would consider personally, but your criteria may be way different. A good solid dealer in your local area should be another strong deciding factor. Congrats on a new boat and hopefully you can make the process enjoyable and not stressfull. Go with your own gut and not our feedback cause ultimately, you will have to live in it...
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       12-23-2015, 10:09 AM Reply   
I can say that if you're an intermediate level wakeboarder looking to advance beyond that point, the NXT should be eliminated right off the bat. The Craz and A22 are simply on another level in that catagory (clean at low speeds with potential to grow to pro level with weight). From there it just comes down to your local dealers and what you think about fit and finish, which is an edge I would give to the moomba all day. Go crawl through them and see for yourself though.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-23-2015, 11:51 AM Reply   
^ LOL

This is why I love the boat comparison threads..... A continued wealth of contradicting and useless information to follow.

The only answer is to go demo and make up your own mind.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       12-23-2015, 11:54 AM Reply   
Just the opinion of someone that has been in all of them
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-23-2015, 12:13 PM Reply   
Having an opinion is fair...... Just like my opinion that saying the NXT wake would prevent him from advancing is probably one of the most ignorant things I have ever seen in a boat comparison thread.

Now, to be fair, I haven't wakeboarded a NXT 20, and I had heard that it takes quite a bit of extra ballast in that boat to put out a good sized wake. I have, however, ridden the NXT22, and was very impressed. And I believe that the NXT22 is the boat he is looking at here....

Haven't been behind a Craz, or A22, but your post leads me to believe that I should...... Because they must be on this whole new level that I haven't experienced behind a NXT22, X30, G23, SAN 230, 23LSV, Mojo, SAN 210, X23, or Mondo. Because those are the boats our crew rides regularly, and not one of them are holding them back from anything. Not to mention, the NXT22 is not close to the least preferred in the lineup.

But that's just my opinion.....
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-23-2015, 12:17 PM Reply   
I agree with Ttime41, the Craz and the A22 would both be solid options. The moomba should come with the 400 raptor engine, the A22 won't unless you upgrade to it. The 2016 Axis boats come with a 5 year warranty which is awesome. I am not sure about the warranty on the moomba. The wake on both are great.
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       12-23-2015, 12:59 PM Reply   
The Moombas come with a 5 year warranty as well. Also a 5 year warranty from Indmar on the Raptor which is nice
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-23-2015, 1:31 PM Reply   
give a budget not a boat, can you spend 60k 80k 100k then you will get more options based on budget. if budget was not an issue almost everyone would have a g23, or g25 or star get my drift. if 75k is your area, then you have 25 different options, all with + and - 's and you can find left overs, as well.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-23-2015, 1:37 PM Reply   
Should be noted that, Moomba does not cover labor past year 2. Nor do they cover any components not manufactured by SC (screen, pdms, bilge pumps, tab actuators, etc.) those parts are covered only by the manufacturer of the part. Most of those are 1 year.

SC is not a factory backed warranty on all components.......Not all 5 year warranties are equal. Read the fine print. Or talk to my buddy about the screen replacement in his Mojo.

Still really like his boat though. He just wasn't very happy about shelling out $2500.00 on a boat that was only 15 months old.
Old     (MMPres)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-23-2015, 11:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post
Should be noted that, Moomba does not cover labor past year 2. Nor do they cover any components not manufactured by SC (screen, pdms, bilge pumps, tab actuators, etc.) those parts are covered only by the manufacturer of the part. Most of those are 1 year.

SC is not a factory backed warranty on all components.......Not all 5 year warranties are equal. Read the fine print. Or talk to my buddy about the screen replacement in his Mojo.

Still really like his boat though. He just wasn't very happy about shelling out $2500.00 on a boat that was only 15 months old.
^^^Good info, thanks man!
Ultimately I'll take the boats for a demo and see which can stands up to the rigors. That will be the determining factor. But nuggets like this are good to know.
Old     (MMPres)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-23-2015, 11:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougr View Post
give a budget not a boat, can you spend 60k 80k 100k then you will get more options based on budget. if budget was not an issue almost everyone would have a g23, or g25 or star get my drift. if 75k is your area, then you have 25 different options, all with + and - 's and you can find left overs, as well.
I'm shopping in the 60k range and I believe all of the above I've brought to light are attainable. Obviously if I could essentially afford a second mortgage, I'd buy a G, hands down. But that boat and those of that caliber are significantly out of my feasible reach.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-24-2015, 4:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMPres View Post
^^^Good info, thanks man!
Ultimately I'll take the boats for a demo and see which can stands up to the rigors. That will be the determining factor. But nuggets like this are good to know.

That is really what you need to do. Demo all three and make up your own mind. All three choices are great boats. All 3 will do everything you want behind them.

It should come down to which one YOU prefer.

Asking the question on WW will get you nothing but contradiction and confusion based on a wealth of ridiculously biased answers (in most cases)

There is factual information to learn (warranties, specs, options, etc...) however, you will find very few unbiased, honest, reviews of anything to do with the wake/wave.
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       12-24-2015, 6:53 AM Reply   
Eric,

If you could drop me a note on your buddy's situation, I would be glad to look into that. That sounds crazy expensive for a screen. All Warranties are different, as you noted and totally agree that the devil is in the detail. My email is rtinker@skierschoice.com. if I can help.

Our Moomba 5 year Factory protection plan with detail is linked as well for comparison purposes. Lifetime Hull, 5 year Engine, 5 year Trailer and 5 year on components with limitations as noted on labor in years 3,4,5 and on electronics and audio.

http://www.moomba.com/warranty

Adam, Good luck in your search.

Rick Tinker
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       12-24-2015, 7:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post

For comparison sake, Axis does not cover ANY components not manufactured by them. I'm attaching both warranties so that we can all see the "fine print" for reference.

Moomba only excludes electronics and audio. Whereas, Axis excludes everything not made by them which is more than electronics and audio (they don't make those either).

The factory Moomba warranty also includes your trailer (5 years) and engine (5 years) which Axis does not. Or at least, not that I can tell from their owner's manual. Malibu/Axis has a separate trailer warranty for trailers they make, but if they don't make it then it's not covered.

Axis's engine warranty from PCM is 3 years, Moomba's with Indmar is 5. You also get a 6.2L Raptor standard in the Moomba, which is an upgrade to get to the same level of engine in the Axis (6.2L)

Warranties for reference. Scroll to the end for Axis

http://www.axiswake.com/assets/files...s%20Manual.pdf

http://www.moomba.com/sites/default/...anty_guide.pdf
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-24-2015, 10:03 AM Reply   
Rick-
Great to have you posting on here. I will absolutely tell Him to contact you in reference to this. I should see him NYE. I believe that cost was for diagnosis, parts, and labor to change the screen. Not sure of the breakdown. I didn't ask.

Will you happen to be making an appearance at the NYC boat show? I believe that him and I are going to go there. He is in the market again, and looking to upgrade to a 23'er.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
For comparison sake, Axis does not cover ANY components not manufactured by them. I'm attaching both warranties so that we can all see the "fine print" for reference.

Moomba only excludes electronics and audio. Whereas, Axis excludes everything not made by them which is more than electronics and audio (they don't make those either).

The factory Moomba warranty also includes your trailer (5 years) and engine (5 years) which Axis does not. Or at least, not that I can tell from their owner's manual. Malibu/Axis has a separate trailer warranty for trailers they make, but if they don't make it then it's not covered.

Axis's engine warranty from PCM is 3 years, Moomba's with Indmar is 5. You also get a 6.2L Raptor standard in the Moomba, which is an upgrade to get to the same level of engine in the Axis (6.2L)

Warranties for reference. Scroll to the end for Axis

http://www.axiswake.com/assets/files...s%20Manual.pdf

http://www.moomba.com/sites/default/...anty_guide.pdf
All good info. I do believe that PCM has finally upgraded their warranty to 5 years now. That is what is stated in the PCM manual that came with my G. Maybe just changed for 2016.

The warranty aspect is certainly one big thing that the NXT has going for it. It covers parts and labor on every component in the boat and on the trailer for the full 5 years.... And the only exclusions are normal wear items and finishes. All audio equipment, electronics, etc., are included. In my opinion, the electronic stuff is the most important stuff to have full backing on (next to the engine obviously). That is the stuff that will cost you..... Not bilge pumps, steering cables, etc...
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       12-24-2015, 10:40 AM Reply   
Eric,

Always keeping an eye on Wakeworld... . Please have him contact me and I will see what happened. Unfortunately will not be at the NYC show.
All are good boats, just a matter of finding what fits your needs the best. The PCM does have a 5yr, their Crusader line is the one with a 3 yr, FWIW.

Have a wonderful holiday!!

Rick
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-24-2015, 12:22 PM Reply   
Yeah lots of good boats out there. In the end u need to make sure u can live with the wake and layout. If there are little things that bug u about any boat like tower function or seating or storage config then definitely don't buy because will bug u every time your in it. Same thing if boat seems to feel underpowered when u demo. I've never ridden behind a Craz but layout looks good. Biggest thing to me in a new boat is gonna be wake first then layout. Rear facing seating and walkthrough top my list as well as does a awesome tower.