Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-25-2015, 1:01 PM Reply   
I am currently looking to add zone control for the tower. I have 4 speakers in the boat, four on the tower and a sub. I am looking at the lowest cost option. I noticed Kicker has the ZXM-RLC dual zone tower control. Is anyone using this? It is only a dual zone where as the wetsounds 420 is a 3 zone. I am trying to figure out how the wiring works for the sub if my two zones are the interior and the tower. Are there any other good zone controllers to look into. I don't think I really need all the stuff the wetsounds 420 offers. I plan on replacing the deck this winter to get Bluetooth capability and will try adding this. The system is already in the boat so ease of installation is being factored as well.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-25-2015, 1:20 PM Reply   
Check out exile's Bluetooth remote that comes with a 2 zone control. Awesome budget setup and easy to add to what you've got.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-25-2015, 2:43 PM Reply   
With Exile you are buying the MKII to get zone controlling, right? That's $300. Am I missing something else? I don't see how the bluetooth remote gives zone control but I could be missing something or not looking at the right product.

The kicker dual zone is only $100 for dual zone (on sale this weekend for $75). I just don't know how that will work wiring wise.
Old     (stingreye)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-25-2015, 3:34 PM Reply   
I use the Kicker Dual Zone Controller and it works great. Simple knob for each zone to turn up or turn down. Most subs amps come with a control knob for that and then you could control all 3.

Before the kicker, I had a line level control that used RCA cables and they were run next to power lines so there was feedback. The kicker is a sweet setup because it uses a data cable (phone cord type thing) so you have short RCA runs near the amps, then long runs to the knobs with the phone cords that can be near power without causing interference. Be aware to check the length of the data cables. I think one of mine was too short.

Mike's Liquid Audio has used them on several installs and has used ABS to create the faceplate and removed the plastic case for a really clean look.
Old     (stingreye)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-25-2015, 3:39 PM Reply   
Regarding wiring, here is my setup and it works but I am not sure if there is a better way.

From Head Unit (HU)
Front RCAs to the kicker controller, splits it into 2 zones, then each zone to each amp tower amp and cabin amp.
Sub RCA from Head Unit directly to Sub Amp - I have a controller for the sub amp that I have not installed but intend to at some point.

EDIT - The rear RCA from the HU is now not connected to anything.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-25-2015, 4:54 PM Reply   
Thank you Stingreye. This is the part I don't understand about the kicker. One set of RCA's going in, two going out? Normally I would send one set for the tower, one set for the cabin and one set for the sub ( three sets of RCA's on the back). How can you use the decks equalizer for the different zones if there is only one set of RCA's going in?

Last edited by RPM_DLX; 11-25-2015 at 4:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-25-2015, 5:07 PM Reply   
Here is the Exile unit: http://exileaudio.com/store/index.ph...ing/exmc1.html
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-25-2015, 7:12 PM Reply   
RM,

The Kicker ZXm is about as simple and effective as it can get for a dual zone controller. You have a couple of options when in comes to a sub. You can link the sub to in-boats and have them as one zone and then tower as the 2nd zone. At the most, you just Y the zone 1 output. Or, you can use a simple line level controller or your sub amps sub level controller and now have 3 zones.

Yes, one RCA into the ZXM and two rca out, one to each zone amp.

The cool thing about the ZXM, over a simple line level POT, is that the main brain can be mounted right by the amp. This allows for short RCA cables between the brain and amps. If the head-unit is close by, then the main rca in to the zxm will also be short. A simple line level POT requires an RCA in and out. If the amps are located on the port side of the boat, these RCAs can be up to 20ft each. Each controller requires 2 stereo pairs.

The ZXM is also a line driver with a 9V per zone output. So no loss of signal due to long RCAs, but actually a huge increase over the head-unit output.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-26-2015, 9:04 AM Reply   
The most cost effective way to Zone control is the PAC LC-1 controller. It's straight forward and is very simple to install. Two controls will get you a (3) zone system.( explain how later)

The next best thing going is the Kicker simply because of the Line driver built in. Again able to get (3) zones off this controller

Here is how you get 3 zones off the (2) PAC LC-1 controllers or the Kicker . You are most likely going to be running your tower zone more times than any of the I boat zones. So you hard wire your rca's right to you tower portion of your amp. Now this allows the head unit full control of the tower speakers. You then run one PAC controller or one of the kicker controllers to your sub. This allows you to adjust the sub volume independently. You run the other PAC or Kicker control to the portion on your amps to the inboats. This again will allow you to know adjust the inboat volume independently of the sub and towers. In most situations you are cranking your stereo to get tunes to the rider. At high volumes the sub and inboats will blow people out of the boat. So having those two independent is the way to go. Then at the low volumes you'll usually want more sub so you can crank that up to its max independently as well.

If you ask me though the best budget way with the most features is just going with a standard Clarion ESQ746. It gives you more fine tuning on sound and allows you all (3) zones at your fingertips. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...on-EQS746.html
Old     (Tallredrider)      Join Date: Mar 2011       11-26-2015, 10:08 AM Reply   
I use the roswell dual zone volume controller.

It is about as simple as it gets. And for just $40. It also looks very clean. I do not like the boxy look to the Kicker unit, or having to find a place to put an entire EQ.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...FRBafgodd74LAg
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-26-2015, 1:31 PM Reply   
That Roswell unit is awesome. I really like that simple design.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       11-27-2015, 4:29 PM Reply   
I have an extra two zone controller like the Roswell I don't need that I would be happy to sell for less than the price of the Roswell unit. Brand new, unused.

I sent you a PM.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-30-2015, 2:09 PM Reply   
Haven't had much time to be on the forums... Reading over this thread, I think the link BrainRinse provided is a little different than what your looking for. He posted the Media Center which has built in bluetooth and track control. Exile sells a simple 2way level controller kit for 60 bucks. Comes with 3 pair of 20ft RCA's

Link Here

If Trayson has something on the cheap thats probably gonna be the winner winner chicken dinner.

-Brian
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-01-2015, 7:57 AM Reply   
I think I am leaning more toward the kicker design. The basic exile and Roswell seem to be more like a splitter/fader. Where the Kicker has complete independent control. I also like the fact that the Kicker has the line driver built in and goes up to 9V.

So now my question is that since I plan on changing my deck out on the boat at the same time, I am looking at the voltage of the preamp outputs. Some have 2V and some have 4V. If I run the kicker kicker dual zone, will the 2V vs 4V on the deck be of any influence?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-01-2015, 8:16 AM Reply   
With a pre-amp line driver between the head-unit and amps, I would not get stuck on the head-unit' pre-amp output. I would choose the head-unit based on other features.

For those that do not like the boxy look of the Kicker knobs surface mounted, just note, the knobs can be removed from their housing and panel mounted for a real clean look

Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-01-2015, 12:12 PM Reply   
That looks nice TigeMike. I planned on doing something similar but hiding the Kicker boxes in a CNC polished aluminum box I design. Then mounting the box under my dash.
Old    r33pwrd            12-01-2015, 10:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM_DLX View Post
I think I am leaning more toward the kicker design. The basic exile and Roswell seem to be more like a splitter/fader. Where the Kicker has complete independent control. I also like the fact that the Kicker has the line driver built in and goes up to 9V.

So now my question is that since I plan on changing my deck out on the boat at the same time, I am looking at the voltage of the preamp outputs. Some have 2V and some have 4V. If I run the kicker kicker dual zone, will the 2V vs 4V on the deck be of any influence?
The exile goes to 9v as well and is not a fader or splitter but true 3 zone control. Personally ditch your deck buy a exile ZLD with Bluetooth and be done with it I mean what's the point of the deck anyways.....
Old    r33pwrd            12-01-2015, 10:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
With a pre-amp line driver between the head-unit and amps, I would not get stuck on the head-unit' pre-amp output. I would choose the head-unit based on other features.

For those that do not like the boxy look of the Kicker knobs surface mounted, just note, the knobs can be removed from their housing and panel mounted for a real clean look

No need to waste money on a head unit IMO....
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-02-2015, 7:45 AM Reply   
I considered not using a deck but I like to be able to play CD's. Sometimes friends get on my boat and have a CD in their car they want to play.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-02-2015, 8:36 AM Reply   
Do they keep them in a sleeve attached to their car's sun visor? 😀
Old    r33pwrd            12-02-2015, 8:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
I considered not using a deck but I like to be able to play CD's. Sometimes friends get on my boat and have a CD in their car they want to play.
What is a cd?? Lol honestly all mine where stolen a few years back so I went all bluetooth via phone. I find it easier to tell friends to bring their phone not a pack of cds.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-02-2015, 10:31 AM Reply   
Well right now I just have the deck that came with the boat that plays CD's and mp3 files. No auxilery jack or Bluetooth. I would stream Pandora or play from my library on my last boat and use the auxilery jack. I will say I still think the audio quality playing straight from a CD sounds better.

brainrinse, funny on the CD's on the visor. I still have a CD book style binder for CD's I keep in my my truck.
Old    r33pwrd            12-02-2015, 3:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Well right now I just have the deck that came with the boat that plays CD's and mp3 files. No auxilery jack or Bluetooth. I would stream Pandora or play from my library on my last boat and use the auxilery jack. I will say I still think the audio quality playing straight from a CD sounds better.

brainrinse, funny on the CD's on the visor. I still have a CD book style binder for CD's I keep in my my truck.
My bluetooth (exile) sounds way better than my cd player, much more full sound imo.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-02-2015, 5:01 PM Reply   
Brad, is that comparing a non compressed store bought CD or one thats burned with compressed MP3? Huge difference in formatting. The exile and JL BT's (same unit) have good range and SQ. but not better then an uncompressed CD in a quality system. Thats based on a phone that actually support 4.0 and AptX.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       12-02-2015, 6:13 PM Reply   
There is more than full sound?...... Seriously though, that's not possible. Sounds like the bass/mids may be boosted on your phones download. You sure the head unit doesn't have seperate settings for certain sources? Or as Mike pointed out?

Last edited by Truekaotik; 12-02-2015 at 6:18 PM.
Old    r33pwrd            12-02-2015, 6:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
Brad, is that comparing a non compressed store bought CD or one thats burned with compressed MP3? Huge difference in formatting. The exile and JL BT's (same unit) have good range and SQ. but not better then an uncompressed CD in a quality system. Thats based on a phone that actually support 4.0 and AptX.
That was good old normal cds..
Old    r33pwrd            12-02-2015, 6:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truekaotik View Post
There is more than full sound?...... Seriously though, that's not possible. Sounds like the bass/mids may be boosted on your phones download. You sure the head unit doesn't have seperate settings for certain sources? Or as Mike pointed out?
Head unit had all eq settings off...
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       12-03-2015, 6:30 AM Reply   
If this is really the case, two things, your downloads are boosted or your phone EQ is on....
I had a customer with a new vehicle, who stated his iPod sounds better Bluetooth than XM or CD, I said bring it by... Turned out his download source was being boostedin certain frequencies.. Could be your issue?
Old    r33pwrd            12-03-2015, 6:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truekaotik View Post
If this is really the case, two things, your downloads are boosted or your phone EQ is on....
I had a customer with a new vehicle, who stated his iPod sounds better Bluetooth than XM or CD, I said bring it by... Turned out his download source was being boostedin certain frequencies.. Could be your issue?
No idea I'm using the android play store...
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-03-2015, 7:42 AM Reply   
I have never heard of getting better sound from Bluetooth. In reality if I am playing my phone and using my music library, most of those files are 128kbps mp3's. I am not sure how its possible to make that sound better than an original CD in a 24 bit player.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       12-03-2015, 8:27 AM Reply   
I have had people who had a lot of stereo experience/ownership swear that the MP3 sounded better than the CD...and...I have had people swear that the BT sounded better than a hard-wired link. Either is impossible if all other aspects are equal.
The perception may be real for those people but based on the incorrect conclusion.
A little placebo can be at work in anticipation of the newest device.
As stated above there can be extra 'equalization' in the source or download.
Or there can be a large 'gain' differential from source to source.
Or many respond to more 'compression' as it does make things appear louder. In the same way, many hear subwoofers with awful overhang and believe they sound better/louder. They absolutely don't but more overhang definitely contributes to the volume perception in a major way.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       12-03-2015, 8:26 PM Reply   
Hey now... We live off the placebo affect still... Just cause your retired doesn't mean you can spill the beans... HeHe....

It happens to often... I laughed pretty good on that one...