Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (plav77)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-28-2015, 1:57 PM Reply   
I figured it would be best to start my own thread of trying to get the perfect wake out of my boat.
Just purchased a 2002 Supra Launch - Direct Drive (Not a SS or SSV, just a Launch)

It came with 500 LB ballast in the Bow and 500 in the back locker, both hooked up on switches which is nice.
With the ballasts full the wave was ugly and not big enough so I came here looking for suggestions.
Built a custom wake gate last night to try out today after reading a bunch of posts.
This was a quick 1hr prototype build, I will make a nicer one later.

This is my configuration today
9.5 MPH
500 LB Bow
500 LB Rear Locker
750 LB Surf Side (New got yesterday)
Wake Gate

We went out today and first tried it without the wake gate and it wasn't a clean wave. Once I installed the wake gate you could tell the difference.
Next we played around with the speed, started at 11 MPH and ended up happy at 9.5 MPH, check out the video to see what you think.
https://youtu.be/WWyYoicWkhg
This was only my 4th time surfing so I'm still a rookie, I'm sure you experts wouldn't have much issue on this wave.
I started to get the hang of it after a couple rides. My buddy who is 180LB could not go ropeless though. I think the 4ft4 happy pill wasn't enough of a board for him.
This is my ride, not the best video since my 10 year old is recording!!!
https://youtu.be/RZAaddvSTuA

My platform is definitely digging into the wake so I will be building a new one like Trayson did.
Tomorrow my buddy is bringing another 750LB bag so we are going to try that on the other side of the motor.
Another thought is to get 1 or 2 of the 155LB bags and put them on the back seat surf side.

Any other thoughts or questions on how I can get this wake PERFECT!
I will update a new video tomorrow of it with the added 750LB

Thanks for reading and giving your comments!

Last edited by plav77; 09-28-2015 at 2:00 PM.
Old     (Aurex)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-28-2015, 7:04 PM Reply   
I have a Sanger DXII direct drive and I think my wake is decent. We have fun with it.

My setup is here if you are interested. I need to update it a bit as we have made a few tweaks as the season progressed and the wake is better now than when the last photo's in that thread will show.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803698

I too, am currently working on a surf gate.

Old     (plav77)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-29-2015, 9:15 AM Reply   
Went out again yesterday with a new configuration

10.5 MPH (1 MPH faster)
500 LB Bow & Rear Locker
750 LB Surf Side and Non Surf Side (So another 750 LB compared to yesterday)
Wake Gate

So I was running even weight and using the wake gate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMst1JxInWY

This is me riding the wake, WAYYYY better than yesterday! If I wasn't such a rookie wake surfer I think I could ride that all day.
My family liked my little dance at the end!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_X7MYgp9gI

I don't have a big family so I think I'm going to get 2 155LB cubes to put on the back seat surf side.
Besides that I wouldn't mind taking the back platform off and seeing how much that has an effect on the wave.

Thoughts? Paul
Old     (Aurex)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-29-2015, 10:31 AM Reply   
My first thought is that direct drives are difficult to weight for a "great" surf wake. I think it is possible, it just takes a little creativity.

How is your freeboard? Where is the rub rail in relation to the waterline? Is the bow in danger of dunking?

I would say you need to figure out how to shift the weight to the rear more. Part of the reason why a vdrive will throw a better wake easier is that the weight of the motor is already pushed far back. The bow bag should stay to lengthen the wake imo. You may want to list the boat a tiny bit to the surf side. That is what we do, all passengers sit on the surf side, and we move a 350lbs bag to the surf side as well. We will move passengers around to dial the wake in.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-29-2015, 12:15 PM Reply   
You may also want to play with the speed. I'm not running a DD and I have a wack load of weight but i'm running up to 12.2 mph. So try the speed as well.
Old     (Aurex)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-29-2015, 1:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
You may also want to play with the speed. I'm not running a DD and I have a wack load of weight but i'm running up to 12.2 mph. So try the speed as well.
This is a good point, slower should make the wake larger with more push, faster will make the wake longer.

To add, you ideally need more than 8-10 feet of water to allow the ballast and the boat to do it's work. When it gets too shallow it will cause the wake to wash out, can't remember the technical reasoning on why, I just know that it is true.
Old     (plav77)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-30-2015, 8:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurex View Post
My first thought is that direct drives are difficult to weight for a "great" surf wake. I think it is possible, it just takes a little creativity.

How is your freeboard? Where is the rub rail in relation to the waterline? Is the bow in danger of dunking?

I would say you need to figure out how to shift the weight to the rear more. Part of the reason why a vdrive will throw a better wake easier is that the weight of the motor is already pushed far back. The bow bag should stay to lengthen the wake imo. You may want to list the boat a tiny bit to the surf side. That is what we do, all passengers sit on the surf side, and we move a 350lbs bag to the surf side as well. We will move passengers around to dial the wake in.
My feeboard is fine and my bow isn't in any danger of dunking, the boat can defiantly hold more weight if needed.
How much will removing the platform dig help my wave? and it what way?
Thanks Paul

Last edited by plav77; 09-30-2015 at 8:51 AM. Reason: mistake
Old     (Aurex)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-30-2015, 9:07 AM Reply   
You may want to see where the platform is digging into the wake. If it is touching the water, it is stealing energy from your wake. I think trayson had noticeable improvements when he did his custom platform.
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-01-2015, 10:09 AM Reply   
the 155lbs cube will do a good job - you can move them around and play a little bit with the weight. I had three of them in my "old" supra 21V.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-01-2015, 11:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurex View Post
You may want to see where the platform is digging into the wake. If it is touching the water, it is stealing energy from your wake. I think trayson had noticeable improvements when he did his custom platform.
Yep, I did. I had a custom platform on my Supra and made another one for my Moomba XLV.

Narrower and tapered on the corners so that it almost mirrors the shape of the wake coming off the corner of the hull. A little length added too.

Nice and smooth underneath.
Old     (plav77)      Join Date: Aug 2015       10-01-2015, 12:59 PM Reply   
Thanks Trayson. I'm going to make one out of wood first, then once I get the shape I like I will use plastic.
Where did you order the foam top from?
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-01-2015, 1:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by plav77 View Post
Thanks Trayson. I'm going to make one out of wood first, then once I get the shape I like I will use plastic.
Where did you order the foam top from?
For the one on my Moomba I used Hydroturf. Got some diamond molded B-stock. Call Derek at PWC muscle and ask for the forum discount. I think it's like 15% off.

For the cheap one I did on my supra out of scrap wood, I just got some cheap closed cell foam off ebay. slippery though.
Old     (plav77)      Join Date: Aug 2015       10-02-2015, 10:08 AM Reply   
I found a plastic source up here in BC, Canada, he only has 4x8 sheets available for $335.
only if I could find someone local that wants to split on it!
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-02-2015, 12:37 PM Reply   
Paul, have you tried http://www.plasticworks.ca/ ?