Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 10, 2003

Old    scubastevebps            02-03-2003, 5:42 PM Reply   
Alright, I am so fricken lost in stereo systems, just to think about it gives me a headache. For reference i'm working with a 02 Super air Nautique. The one thing i'm lost in is choosing tower speakers. I went down to the nor cal boat show this past weekend and i have a better idea about what i want. I listened to just about every speaker and was impressed with everything. I had my heart set on 6 6.5" speakers for the top till the guy from proflight drove into the other direction. He'd showed me the tower box for 7X10". He quoted that the last guy who bought the same box got a ticket 2 miles away for his sound system. My question for all of you is on what type of speaker box or cans puts out the absolute best sound. I only want to do this once and get the best sound for my boat. Also what sub size 12" or 15"?
Boxes
4 6X9"
4 7X10"
6 6.5"

Down on the boat going with:
6 6.5" kicker marine speakers
12" or 15" kicker solo baric
2 amps?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-03-2003, 8:34 PM Reply   
Any of those combos will be loud. I'd stay away from the 7x10", I think that you will find a wider range of 6x9 and 6.5" to pick from.

Might want to do a pair of 12" subs to keep up with that many mids and highs. I'd suggest three amps, one tower, one boat and one for a pair of subs.

As long as the tower speakers cans have the correct volume you'll be ok. Just remember to deaden the inside of the cans, dynamat them. Makes a big difference.

Don't bother with Marine speakers. Get regular ones. For the same price they sound a lot better. Any good speaker will be fine in a boat.

(Message edited by magic on February 03, 2003)
Old    6more            02-04-2003, 6:26 AM Reply   

quote:

He quoted that the last guy who bought the same box got a ticket 2 miles away for his sound system.

There is a BS story if I ever heard one!

(Message edited by 6more on February 04, 2003)
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-04-2003, 6:56 AM Reply   
a 7x10 is just a 6x9 with a larger bracket. i would go with the 6.5's as you will not be putting much bass through them anyway. Also, use a 12" sub becuase the wavelength is too long on the 15". You will not get good effects on your boat with a 15, your neighbor farther away will though.
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       02-04-2003, 1:23 PM Reply   
2 amps?
Is that a serious question?
You want to run 14 speakers and two subs on two amps.... forget it.
I run one mono 2 channel MTX amp for the subs. (a pair of PolkAudio 10's)
I run another MTX 4 channel for the two 6.5 - MB Q's on the tower.
And an Alpine V12 4 channel for the interior
5.25 MB Q's

You are gonna need alot of power for all those big speakers. If you ask me its way-overkill
Old    skihardkore            02-05-2003, 1:25 PM Reply   
i echo sandy
I'd like sandy's setup.
you dont need that many speakers.
and yes, i'd get 2 12 subs
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-05-2003, 1:32 PM Reply   
Sandy,

I'd like to pick your brain sometime on stereo stuff...what do you say?
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-05-2003, 1:48 PM Reply   
I run four 6.5 pioneer premier 3 ways in the interior and a pair of rockford fosgate HPC aluminuim cone 5.25's in the bow (power handling was similar to the 6.5's). I opted to go with the aluminuim in the front because I run a 700 pound sac in the center floor to the bow and can take a little water every once in a while. The 12" sub is run by an orion 900 watt amp and the rest of the speakers are run by an orion 500 watt 4 channel. It is way louder than you need so figure that the 14 speaker set up is waaayyy over kill. iI don't even have tower speakers and you can hear it clearly boarding.