Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (newboarderman)      Join Date: May 2016       05-17-2016, 12:06 PM Reply   
We just got a boat. My wife hasn't wakeboarded much. I used to wakeboard a lot when I was younger. Both are in our mid-30s. I'm 185 lbs and she is around 130lb. Is it necessary to buy individual wakeboards for each of us or are there any recommendations for boards that can be used by males and females? Love to get any thoughts and, particularly, if there are any boards you recommend...I tried searching over google/yahoo, but this topic was a little harder to sift through...
Old     (twowake)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-17-2016, 1:08 PM Reply   
Boards are rated by weight. I would get 2 different boards, even if they were older models. I have a couple "boat boards" on my boat for new people to ride. Check Craigslist for some used ones. The right equipment makes all the difference!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-17-2016, 1:38 PM Reply   
If you are going to have decent boots that fit properly, then you really need two boards anyway. Craigslist might have some good deals.
Old     (CaseyJones)      Join Date: Apr 2016       05-18-2016, 7:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by newboarderman View Post
We just got a boat. My wife hasn't wakeboarded much. I used to wakeboard a lot when I was younger. Both are in our mid-30s. I'm 185 lbs and she is around 130lb. Is it necessary to buy individual wakeboards for each of us or are there any recommendations for boards that can be used by males and females? Love to get any thoughts and, particularly, if there are any boards you recommend...I tried searching over google/yahoo, but this topic was a little harder to sift through...
I have a 2016 Ronix Space Blanket size 137 I will sell you for $400.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-18-2016, 8:20 AM Reply   
You're gonna need 2. I have a few for sale. And am local to you. 1 is a 2012 139 Watson with Watson closed toe bindings (this set up was $800)basically brand new for $300 and I have a 139 liquid force Lyman deck only I'd let go for 75$. A lil older but boat only so in great condition
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-18-2016, 8:45 AM Reply   
do you wear the same shoes??

That Watson package ^ is a good deal on a great board. For her, something in the 128 to 134 range would work well.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-18-2016, 9:24 AM Reply   
������
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-18-2016, 9:27 AM Reply   
@OP red....

Here's a good price on a LF Trip 133
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Liquid-Force...MAAOxyUrZS-BuB
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-19-2016, 8:10 AM Reply   
If you guys want to try something out to share, I'd suggest a 139 Ronix Vault...very beginner friendly, will be ok size for you and won't be TOO big for her. Later if you really get in to it that board/size it makes a perfect boat board and then you both can get your own that you like for yourselves. Will shoot you a PM, happy to get you out on one to try it if you'd like!
Old     (newboarderman)      Join Date: May 2016       05-30-2016, 10:49 AM Reply   
Hey Matt - What year is a good fit for the Ronix Vault? You recommended it to be earlier, but not sure if there was a specific year you had in mind?
Old     (newboarderman)      Join Date: May 2016       05-30-2016, 10:53 AM Reply   
Another question. Do you think any of these are good for a universal board to share with people regardless of sex/size, etc.?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/e...-37-1&sort=rel

or, do you think i should suck it up and buy brand new?
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       05-30-2016, 11:16 AM Reply   
I'll start off by saying that it is obviously always best to get the best brands that fit perfectly. HOWEVER, if this is just a 'every once in a while' fun thing and your budget is limited, don't worry about getting something perfect. If both of you will just be doing it every once in a while, get a board thats a little on the small side for you and it will fit both of you just fine. If you think that you will be doing most the riding, get a board that fits you well and some open toe bindings. If your wife starts doing it enough to justify a second one, then great, you can buy one once you know shes into it. Otherwise, your wife will be just fine and the open toe bindings should fit. Contrary to what some will make you believe, you will ride JUST FINE with a board that is too big or too small.

In fact, since your wife has not wakeboarded, the too big board will be great. It will pop her right out of the water and float her very well. It's not conducive to doing serious jumps but it's perfectly fine for just fun.

I am 200 with size 11 shoes and my wife is 105 with size 6 shoes. We both started on a 5-10 year old O'brian 136m board that came with the boat. It was too small for me and too big for her and some open toe bindings. We learned how to do all the basics and even did a bunch of wake jumps with it. Once we saw we were serious about the sport, we both bought brand new 'top of the line' Ronix setups.

Now that O'brian board is still in commission as the community board. It's had people as light as 95lbs on it and guys as big as 240lbs on it. Everyone had fun and noone was held back because of it.

Last edited by timelinex; 05-30-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       05-30-2016, 11:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by newboarderman View Post
Another question. Do you think any of these are good for a universal board to share with people regardless of sex/size, etc.?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/e...-37-1&sort=rel

or, do you think i should suck it up and buy brand new?
Here's the thing with used ones.... You got to know what to look for and have experience to get a good setup used.

Otherwise, the 10 year old 'technology' boards look just like the new boards so you don't really know what your getting.

Like I said in my last post, if your not sure how serious your gonna be about wakeboarding, I am super confident in recommending for you to get a cheap board both of you can share. Find something in decent condition from a decent brand (hyperlight/ronix/etc...) in the 136-140 size range with open toe bindings. It will works fine for you to get your feet wet in the sport and see if it's something you want to get serious about. Don't get something smaller than 136. A too small board is way more of a hindrance than a too big board. Then when your ready to upgrade, you can be confident you are spending money on something that you will use enthusiastically. As a bonus, you will have a community board that visitors and friends can use.
Old     (challengerwake)      Join Date: Mar 2015       05-30-2016, 5:32 PM Reply   
Imo you need two different setups. You will eventually need two different boards anyway. A least if you do not get two boards get two sets of bindings. Comfort and support are what you need in the beginning and you will not find that in low end universal bindings. And since yall are new to the sport try not buy before you try stuff on. Liquid force Trips/Angel are awesome to learn and will grow with you, My wife started out on a Hyperlite eden ( mens state) and loved it she is on an angel now.

Last edited by challengerwake; 05-30-2016 at 5:38 PM.
Old     (cdoggy81)      Join Date: May 2016       06-01-2016, 9:15 PM Reply   
CaseyJones - I sent you a PM :]