Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-12-2015, 8:07 AM Reply   
Another case of a Gental Giant minding his own business gets guned down by a Trigger happy police man! < Well not quite. But I'm sure that's the story that will spin from this!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/protests...shooting-teen/

Why can't certain groups of people except the consequences of their actions?
Old    bigdtx            08-12-2015, 8:36 AM Reply   
So when you break in to a car dealership and vandalize the property, then bum rush the cops that show up to respond it's the cops fault when they shoot you?

If the property/business owner had whacked this guy we would have been calling him a "hero". What's wrong with this picture?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-12-2015, 12:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdtx View Post
If the property/business owner had whacked this guy we would have been calling him a "hero". What's wrong with this picture?
That's because an individual protecting his property is different than a cop. I have zero sympathy for the guy that died, but a police force is different than an individual. If procedures are in place and a cop doesn't follow them, then some kind of dicipline is needed. While an individual has to decide how to handle a situation like that on the fly, cops are professionals that have rules for conduct put in place by their superiors. I'm not arguing that his firing was warranted because that's the job of the dept to decide. I just see the death of the individual as a separate issue of the officer not following the rules.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-12-2015, 1:09 PM Reply   
Why do they always have to bring in the "race" card! Doesn't matter what color you are, if you do the crime, be ready to pay the fine!! The media fuels this racism, and I'm about to stop watching the news! The racial tension in this country is mainly because of the way the media reports it to us! All BS to me.......does anyone agree?
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       08-12-2015, 1:24 PM Reply   
how bout keep the politics to your self ...this is the crap that will ruin a good forum real fast
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       08-12-2015, 2:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIV210 View Post
how bout keep the politics to your self ...this is the crap that will ruin a good forum real fast
Haha I take it you haven't been on here very long... And this is the "non-wakeboard section" btw
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-12-2015, 2:35 PM Reply   
Did you read the article you posted Grant? The officer wasn't fired for shooting a black man. He was fired because he didn't follow a procedure that was put in place to protect him. The officer therefore put him self in danger. My brother works for the railroad and was nearly fired once during his first year because he put him self in danger by not following procedure. I didn't see anything in the article that referenced race in anything but an informative way.

If we want to make implications, I've got one for you:
It was obvious from the video that the man who was shot was acting erratically. Probably having a mental breakdown. If the officer had stayed outside the building as his training partner had instructed him, then possibly a standoff would have resulted in an arrest instead of a death. This wasn't a thug stealing cars. It was a crazy person who was experiencing temporary insanity.
This is all conjecture, but at least it makes more sense than the blind rage you are all experiencing that has caused you to completely blow this out of proportion. Your racism has gotten you so upset that you can't even comprehend what you're reading anymore.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-12-2015, 7:06 PM Reply   
This is media manipulation at its best. If the situation were a white cop and a white suspect no one would hear about it outside the local news. Because it is a black suspect and a white cop it fits the current agenda for national story lines. Do the black lives matter supporters have legitimate grievances in certain situations? I believe yes. I also believe that black (or any color) behavior matters and being a "victim" doesn't excuse the behavior that was the catalyst often times. We can't ignore one for the other regardless of skin color.

Smashing car windows and crashing your car through a dealership showroom is blatant criminal behavior no matter who you are. Coupled with a rookie cop that didn't follow procedure and now 2 lives are destroyed. Did the kid deserve to die? Probably not but I wasn't there. My guess he was out of his mind high not having a mental breakdown but that's for the autopsy to determine. Did the cop want to kill? Probably not but I wasn't there. My guess is he forgot his training in the heat of the moment. Too gung ho or scared ****less? That's for the investigation to decide.

Two wrongs and unintended consequences that can't be taken back are being used to manipulate the sheeple. Media wants to Monday morning quarterback every situation to be judge, jury and executioner before the facts are even out. All for click bait, politics and $$$. It's disgusting

Last edited by Cabledog; 08-12-2015 at 7:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-13-2015, 11:32 AM Reply   
Per Arlington Chief of Police "its my job or his so I fired him to save my job"
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-13-2015, 6:22 PM Reply   
This is how it's supposed to work. Reprimand and/or prosecute officers who fail at their jobs... especially when a life is taken. If police were properly trained, and then held accountable for these types of mistakes, all along... there wouldn't be anything for the media to spoon out to the "sheeple".
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       08-13-2015, 6:45 PM Reply   
+1
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-15-2015, 10:08 AM Reply   
Unfortunately, when anyone breaks the law, especially grand theft, there are possible consequences. I'm don't understand why more people don't realize this. In the officer's defense, behind a desk or computer, it's easy to say procedures were not followed.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-15-2015, 12:57 PM Reply   
I absolutely believe there should be consequences to things like grand theft. And I absolutely believe that death should never be one of them.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-15-2015, 3:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by digg311 View Post
This is how it's supposed to work. Reprimand and/or prosecute officers who fail at their jobs... especially when a life is taken. If police were properly trained, and then held accountable for these types of mistakes, all along... there wouldn't be anything for the media to spoon out to the "sheeple".
The criminal holds all the cards. Stop acting crazy and violent and everyone goes home to dinner with their family.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-15-2015, 8:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledog View Post
The criminal holds all the cards. Stop acting crazy and violent and everyone goes home to dinner with their family.
Really? No non-criminals have been injured or killed by police? Whew. That's really good to hear.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-16-2015, 8:51 PM Reply   
The subject of this thread was acting criminally. Chances are if you're not commiting crimes or associating with people that are, you will not have negative interaction with the police, therefore almost eliminating your odds of being injured or killed by the police. It's a simple concept. Just sayin....

Last edited by Cabledog; 08-16-2015 at 8:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       08-16-2015, 9:08 PM Reply   
Criminal behavior... Like running away, or being insane. Or getting a DWB
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-17-2015, 11:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesos View Post
Criminal behavior... Like running away, or being insane. Or getting a DWB
Why are you running if you haven't committed any crimes? 98% of the recent media events (the ones the media focuses on) involving the police (white cop - black suspect) they were attacking the officers after committing crimes, not running away or gunned down while minding their own business on an afternoon jog. Unless you just want to believe the rhetoric instead of the facts.

Being insane in the membrane is now an accepted reason for criminal behavior? I think not. How exactly do you identify someone with mental issues at the time of the interaction? Umm, excuse me Mr criminal sir...This is the police, before we go any further do you have any mental issues that are causing you to act out violently... Yes, you do? Oh, okay have a nice day...

DWB - I assume you mean Driving While Black - is another BS excuse for higher crime and arrest rates amongst one ethnic group. DWWT - Driving While White Trash is an equal category of this.

Doesn't matter what color you are. Stop acting like an idiot and you wont have to deal with the police. Or when you do act politely and surrender when caught so you can live to commit more crimes another day.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-17-2015, 12:24 PM Reply   
That's just it though... you have no basis for saying one side is rhetoric and one side isn't. You don't know any more "facts" than the rest of us. I just read an article yesterday about a kid who was shot and killed by police because the office said he was coming at him, trying to hit him with the car. Ok, fine. Justifiable. Except that the kid was shot twice. Once in the chest, and once in the back. Oh, and the officers chest camera footage isn't being released. That's not media rhetoric. That's what happened. Anything else is conjecture. There has to be transparency or there will be suspicion.

There are too many examples of this sort of thing. Or of instances where police act much too quickly and inappropriately... like killing a man in a Wal*Mart because he has a BB gun in the store. You know, one that they sell there. That guy got shot while talking on a cell phone. No verbal commands were given at all by police. But you're probably right... if that guy had acted less like a criminal, I'm sure his chances of being shot would have been greatly diminished.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       08-17-2015, 12:28 PM Reply   
You can't fix willfully ignorant.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-17-2015, 12:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by digg311 View Post
That's just it though... you have no basis for saying one side is rhetoric and one side isn't. You don't know any more "facts" than the rest of us. I just read an article yesterday about a kid who was shot and killed by police because the office said he was coming at him, trying to hit him with the car. Ok, fine. Justifiable. Except that the kid was shot twice. Once in the chest, and once in the back. Oh, and the officers chest camera footage isn't being released. That's not media rhetoric. That's what happened. Anything else is conjecture. There has to be transparency or there will be suspicion.

There are too many examples of this sort of thing. Or of instances where police act much too quickly and inappropriately... like killing a man in a Wal*Mart because he has a BB gun in the store. You know, one that they sell there. That guy got shot while talking on a cell phone. No verbal commands were given at all by police. But you're probably right... if that guy had acted less like a criminal, I'm sure his chances of being shot would have been greatly diminished.
That's why I said 98%. Some of these are very concerning like the Wal-Mart one you mentioned or the kid in SC at a Hardees where the cop high fived the body and planted evidence. They are the ones we should be focusing on instead of the ones where the bad guys acted stupidly and the community is protesting the outcome.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-17-2015, 12:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesos View Post
You can't fix willfully ignorant.
At least you are willing to admit you have a problem....