Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-23-2016, 10:57 AM Reply   
The Supreme Court apparently thinks it's okay to admit students to a university based on race. Even if someone of a majority race has better qualifications.

I think that this is not only wrong, it, by definition, is racist and promotes racism.

Affirmative action needs to go away.

just my opinion. I know others will disagree

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...e85479047.html
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-23-2016, 12:19 PM Reply   
You realize that the girl who complained didn't meet the criteria for admission right? The court rightly pointed out that Fisher would never have been admitted, with or without race as a factor. Sounds like it's the top 10 plan that you have a problem with.

Interesting how you blame the supreme court (who only had 7 votes by the way, due to the republican refusal to fill the vacancy and liberal justice Kagan's recusal ---- which means that the voting members were tilted to the conservative side and yet still voted this suit down) and not Texas itself for creating the program.
Old    deltahoosier            06-23-2016, 1:36 PM Reply   
Sounds like the door is still open to attacking the special rights narrative since the court ruled about the plaintiffs eligibility?
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-23-2016, 1:43 PM Reply   
Pretty sure the court acts that way on purpose - being as narrow as possible is the typical mo yeah?
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-23-2016, 2:00 PM Reply   
Wes, where did you see she didn't meet the requirements?
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-23-2016, 2:04 PM Reply   
Remember this one http://www.britannica.com/event/Bakke-decision
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-23-2016, 2:13 PM Reply   
Most of the legitimate news stories end up mentioning that fact, including the one Cliff linked to:

"The school said Fisher, who did not graduate in the top 10 percent of her class, would not have been admitted with or without race as a factor. But officials did conditionally offer to allow her to transfer in as a sophomore if she maintained a 3.2 grade-point average at another public college in Texas."

I've noticed that other less trustworthy sites tend to leave it out...
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-23-2016, 3:17 PM Reply   
but wasn't her complaint that a minority student who's grades and scores were less than hers, got admitted....because he/she was a minority. If that's true, it doesn't matter if she was top 10% or 25%
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-23-2016, 3:32 PM Reply   
Duh, I forgot about his link. I thought I had read that on CNBC but wasn't sure. If she were rejected like Bakke, I could see her argument. IMHO, if we were to have fair affirmative action, it should be based on a combination of merit and income.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-23-2016, 3:52 PM Reply   
Their argument was that a minority student with overall lower grades and/or scores got in and she didn't. Unfortunately for them they neglected the fact that this occurrence had nothing to do with the student being a minority.

The student in question was in the top 10 in *their* high school so they received guaranteed admission based on Texas' top 10 rule- the white girl wasn't in the top 10 at *her* school so she didn't. Hence my point that your argument really seems to be against Texas and their top 10 rule.

The guy that put all this together really screwed up when he picked Abigail Fisher to con into becoming the student they based the case around - her grades and scores were seriously mediocre.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-23-2016, 3:56 PM Reply   
ah, I see your point. At UT, it's actually top 7% for automatic admission.

My real point was against affirmative action. Certainly for college admission. I guess I should spend more time studying my point before I post....

lake time.....:-)
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-23-2016, 6:45 PM Reply   
She was basing her case not on the top 10% rule but the lower tiered general admissions, so the affirmative action may have worked against her. ""Lawyers for the school argued that the Top Ten Percent Program alone wasn't enough to achieve racial diversity in the school.
They defended their admissions program arguing that it looked at each applicant as a whole person and considered race as only one factor among many in evaluating a student."" http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/23/politi...s-immigration/
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-23-2016, 11:01 PM Reply   
Actually she didn't really do anything with her case - she was backed (and seemingly manipulated and kinda used) by Blum. Neither of them happened to admit the fact that of the 47 students with aggregate grades/scores lower than her, 42 were white...

http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/i...ustin-7122125#!

"So Fisher and the other remaining applicants were instead evaluated based on two scores: one for her grades and test scores, and the other based on a "personal achievement index," which ProPublica explains awarded points for two required essays, as well "leadership, activities, service and 'special circumstances.' Those included socioeconomic status of the student or the student's school, coming from a home with a single parent or one where English wasn't spoken. And race."

School officials say that this is where Fisher's mediocre grades and test scores really dinged her, Hannah-Jones writes: "[E]ven if Fisher received points for her race and every other personal achievement factor, the letter she received in the mail still would have said no."

And yet: the school did offer "provisional" admission to students with lower test scores and grades than Fisher. Black and brown kids, surely, right?

Wrong. Five of those "provisional" students, according to court docs, were black or Latino. The rest of them —42 in all — were white.

As Hannah-Jones points out, neither Fisher nor her backer Blum saw fit to mention those 42 accepted white kids in interviews"
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-27-2016, 12:11 PM Reply   
Court struck down Texas' new abortion law today. Scalia dying probably didn't affect this one since it would have still been 5-4.