Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-29-2015, 2:35 PM Reply   
Here in California with the drought, I have let lawn die. We have a small section of lawn in our backyard. I am thinking of going fake. I have heard mixed reviews about it. I do have a small dog so I don't know if that will be an issue. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-29-2015, 2:55 PM Reply   
There's a homeowner in our neighborhood who has a 3' wide strip of fake grass the entire length of his back fence (wrought iron) for the specific purpose of his dog. when you pass by their German Shepherd runs back and forth along the fence line. It blends in w/the natural grass really well, and you have to look real close to tell it's not real. So it's apparently not a problem for dogs or at least he has a specific product.
I think fake grass has come a LONG way over the last decade. they make some stuff that looks super real. The issues i see are, if you're the only one on your street w/it (you mentioned back yard so this wouldn't apply), your grass may look "different' from your neighbors and in the winter when theirs is dormant, yours will be as green as peak springtime. which will look odd. or during extreme drought of course. everyone else is dead, and yours looks awesome. You might get some sneers, or rude comments by people that don't realize it's fake... which would be awesome to inform them of.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-29-2015, 5:59 PM Reply   
I bought some fake grass off costco.com for a dog run (elimination area) on the side of the house. Put is in 5 years ago and looks the same today. I keep it picked up and power wash it every month or so. Did the install myself. 1" of sand and 3" of DG underneath.
Attached Images

Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-30-2015, 9:03 AM Reply   
I have been on the verge of doing this for years. This may be the year. I have heard that it gets VERY hot and can burn dogs paws out where we live. My parents have it in Cupertino and on an 85 degree day it is pretty hot. Other than that, it is great stuff. If drains well, looks awesome, dogs like it,etc.. It is expensive if you have someone else do it, but I understand that experience makes a big difference to lay it flat and get the joints perfectly matched.