Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-28-2011, 5:08 PM Reply   
Anyone have one? Pros /Cons

My wife has been thinking about getting herself a new car, and she likes the look of the new Jeep. She was also considering a Ford Edge,although I don't really care much for the egg shaped cars, but it's her car not mine...
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-28-2011, 5:45 PM Reply   
I have also noticed that JCG are decent looking again.

I had two JGC's in the late 90s that sucked. Front ends, breaks, transmissions, cooling systems were shot at 90K miles.

So, in 2005 we went with Acura MDX which rolled 125K miles this weekend. Its been perfect and it drives like it is new.

Ford is doing some nice stuff. The EDGE, FLEX and EXPLORER are very nice options.

Last edited by diamonddad; 02-28-2011 at 5:47 PM. Reason: .
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-28-2011, 6:24 PM Reply   
The Jeep looks nice to me but my concern would be QC. Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge has dropped a ton and lets face it, it wasn't great to start with.

As you know I sell Ford so I'm a scosh biased. The Edge is a killer car, we have two in our family and I have sold countless others with zero complaints and maby happy customers. I just sold a second one to one couple so they have his and hers. The 2011 was refreshened and the technology in them is second to none. Have your wife drive on and an Explorer I think you will both be very impressed.
Attached Images

Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-28-2011, 7:13 PM Reply   
The new GC picks up where the old WJ's left off in terms of a decent SUV (1999-2004) but I too would be hesitant until Jeep/Chrysler proves it quality. I have had a 1989 Cherokee, 1993 Wrangler, and 2000 GC without any major issues. I would not have bought one Jeep product sold over the past six or seven years however. The new GC looks and drives great, but again that doesn't say much for what you will have three years from now.

The Edge and new Explorer do look nice, but if your looking to tow with them it might be an issue. The Edge is rated at 3500 lbs, the new crossover-based Explorer is rated at 5000 lbs. I looked at new sport utes at the auto show, the one thing that seemed odd to me was the over-abundance of head room in the Explorer. I guess it might be great if your extremely top-tall, but at 6'1" it made me feel like a midget.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-28-2011, 7:36 PM Reply   
I've had several WKs with zero QC issues. My mom has an '11 GC and it's pretty killer. The interior fit and finish is about the nicest I've seen in an American car.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-28-2011, 8:14 PM Reply   
Those Fords are fugly to me. The new Jeep GC seems put together real nice with definite Mercedes Benz influences throughout. Very solid and quite to drive. Stole a bit of the styling from the previous X5 but the new X5 is fugly too.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-28-2011, 8:24 PM Reply   
I am also looking for an SUV. It would be another MDX but I think Acura has lost it. Their new grill is SO UGLY! It's tough to buy a vehicle that you think is ugly. So, I have been searching but I have a odd requirement that I need at least 44" of width in the back for two dog crates. Unfortunately, the Ford Explorer is rather narrow at 40" or it would be my choice. I hate it that all these SUVs are optimized for a third row of humans -- something I would need once a year at most. I may end up with a Honda Pilot.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-28-2011, 9:30 PM Reply   
I'd be careful when putting options on the new grand cherokee. Some of the stuff on there is exceptionally nice (suspension system that can change the height of the car depending on terrain), but in the first year of the new model, I wouldn't trust them to have all of the kinks worked out of those new features like that. I think that's the only real danger in getting a 2011 jeep.

However, despite that, I think that there's a lot of hate on GCs that's unwarranted. I've been driving an 02 for the last 6 years. two things have happened to it. AC compressor failed at 120k, and one of the pistons in the engine had a manufacturing defect, and literally fell apart within the engine at 132k miles. Got both things replaced. Found a refurb engine from another jeep and a cheap mechanic, total cost to replace the engine was 1900 bucks. Both things happen to everyone's vehicles all the time, so it's not like they were really jeep specific problems. A few sensors have gone bad as well, but again, that shiz happens to everyone.

I just broke 140k miles on my jeep as well.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-01-2011, 6:59 AM Reply   
I'd go Ford. Edge rides like a car and pretty sharp with the right 20" rims on it like Hate showed. I'd get the grill painted the body color but that's me.

We are going to take a look at the explorer IF they put in the V6 ecoboost engine they say next year.

GC is nice now, but from experience, I wouldn't want it when over 100k. Not sure on the new model, but I'm not going to take that risk.

We got a Mitsu Montero with 167k on the clock and not one problem and very tight still, but keeping an eye open for next year. ---Damn those hondas/Acuras are FUGLY, what a shame.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-01-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
I love the look of the new Jeep. What's it rated to tow?

The new Explorer would be cool if they'd give it a bit more towing capability. I'm waiting to see the Expedition with the eco-boost. That will be one cool SUV.

GD, You should check out the LR4's. I love my LR3. They got bagged in the reviews because people were comparing them to car based SUV's. For me it's the perfect blend. It's smooth and quiet, has great power and tows 7500lbs. Plus I've been amazed by the fuel economy after reading that it was terrible by all the reviewers. Interior cargo space is unmatched by anything else in the size range. Your dogs would love it.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-01-2011, 10:44 AM Reply   
7,500 stacked out. Compare that to the Explorer, 4 Runner, Acadia and most others that max out at 5,000lbs.

That was going to be my point to this topic. We have been looking at a new 2011 SUV, and the Grand Cherokee has become the far and above favorite. Let me also mention I am on my 3rd Explorer (94, 99, now 03), and never would have thought about leaving the Ford or Explorer family for anything, until they changed the Explorer. My boat weighs 4,800, the Explorer max's at 5,000lbs, I am not going to run that risk. The Explorer is not an SUV, it's a CUV now like the Edge. I don't want an F150 just so I can pull the boat, and I understand that most of society wants better fuel economy etc, but Ford left their current customer base, used a legendary name in the Explorer, and targeted a different crowd than what made the Explorer what it was.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just still hurting from the realization the best SUV for 2011 is the Jeep Grand Cherokee. We looked at one, haven't test drove it yet, but compared to the 4Runner (which just looks big, it isn't all that much bigger), the GC is plush and very impressive. The 4Runner was nice though, and we are still going to test an Explorer. FYI, when I went in to look at the Explorer, the sales guy could tell me that it looked great, and I would love how it looked and rode. When I started talking tow capacity, ground clearance (lower now), he had to pull out his sales cheat sheet, prove me wrong, and then I showed him he was showing me the Expedition factoids. In their salesman data sheets Ford compares the Explorer to the Chevy Traverse and Honda Pilot. The compare the Expedition to the 4Runner and I believe Acadia, not sure. Nonetheless, it's not what it used to be, and I am referring to this now as the Feminization of the SUV.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-01-2011, 11:40 AM Reply   
Chris tows with an 8.1 liter Suburban 2500 if I'm not mistaken so I think he's good there.

Quote:
The new Jeep GC seems put together real nice with definite Mercedes Benz influences throughout
Daimler ditched the Chrysler family in 07 so I'm not sure how much influnce there is with this car. Not saying there's none but Fiat owns them now. We dropped Land Rover but kept some of their engineers and designers which you can see in the new Explorer so its possible Chrysler did the same, although I'm not so sure they could have afforded it.

I definitly agree that the loaded GC's look sharp so long as its a Limited.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-01-2011, 12:39 PM Reply   
Hate, I laughed when the commercial showed the terrain knob on the Explorer. It looked very much like the one on my Rover. I also noticed when I jumped into my Rover for the first time that it had the exact same mirror switch as my F250 did. All in all I'll take the Ford influence on Rover. I'm not sure I'd want too much Rover influence in my Ford. Ha, ha, ha.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-01-2011, 1:54 PM Reply   
I can't speak for the new jeeps, but my mom had one a few years ago and it was the worst car ever. Suspension was so sloppy that 60 mph felt like you were barely in control. Felt like a roll-over waiting to happen. Also thought it was weird the the center of the steering wheel seemed to point closer to my left shoulder, than the center of my chest, as if the steering column was built to close to the door and they have to offest the seat to the right. Total thrown together piece of ****.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-01-2011, 8:02 PM Reply   
Evan , yeah we had a LR3 as a shuttle in Whistler and I laughed when I saw the terrain knob its pretty much identical. Ha, yeah I'll take the Ford too. Lets see how Ta Ta Motors influence is on Rover :0
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-01-2011, 8:46 PM Reply   
Doesent really matter that Diamler isn't in bed with Chrysler anymore. MB engineering still comes through in the Chrysler products, even now. I just think most of the Ford body styles, including the F150 are horrible. The new Jeep GC will sell better and better once they are out for a while. When the factory switches back to building Jeeps in March, look for alot more to be out there....
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-01-2011, 10:06 PM Reply   
Only recently, I have started to really like what FORD is producing.

All three of these vehicles are very nice...
Attached Images

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-02-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
Hate, yeah we'll see what Ta ta has to offer. I really like the LR3 and would replace it with an LR4 if they maintain the Ford level of quality.

GD, I'm totally with you except the Flex. I can't get into the look of that. The other two are very nice, though. For some reason I just can't picture owning any ford that's not a truck or "muscle" car. I've always liked the Mustangs and pick-up's, but have swayed European for sedans. I'm still not sold on cross-overs. I don't care who makes them.

Sparky, I'm kinda with you. I liked the last gen F150 the best off all the pick-ups around. I was bummed when they replaced it. The new technology is nice, but I don't dig the tail lights and tail gate. Of course, I think the new Dodge is hideous. The GMC and Chevy are good looking, but they took a while to grow on me.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-02-2011, 12:18 PM Reply   
I test rode the FLEX and really liked it. It would be mine if the back was optimized for storage instead of a third row of seats. The third row arm rests and cup holders make it so my two dog crates can't fit in the back. :>(
Old     (PictureMeRollin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-02-2011, 12:26 PM Reply   
The new Durango looks pretty cool too.