Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-22-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
Took the family to 3 Palms MX park in Houston Saturday. 1st time any of us had ever ridden on track. We had a blast.

My wife didn't get any pic's though because she was too busy chasing the 3 y/o around from track to track watching the tail whips over 70ft+ triples.

We lucked out...there's a practice track that some nice family had reserved from taking some lessons earlier in the day, they let us ride w/them (as they were 1st timer's too). they left early and said we could continue to use the track for the rest of the day. it was a nice way for me and the kids to get our feet wet w/o fear of getting run over or impeding traffic too much. by the end of the day i was ALMOST able to clear this one table top. i was landing just about 4-5 ft from the down side. The boys did great too. they would always seem to slip out in the berms and go down, but they'd get right back up again. No one got hurt (just bruised).
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-22-2010, 12:11 PM Reply   
^^^ Have you been to the track in Splendora?
alot of fun, and they have a good beginner/kids track.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-22-2010, 12:23 PM Reply   
no, we'll have to put that one in our rotation.

there's a track real close to our house, but they require neck braces for kids under 16. it's not a bad idea to have them, but we don't yet and they're EXPENSIVE. (yes, i know you can't put a price on your kid's safety and all, but still, they're pricey).
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-22-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
very cool. The motocross track is an intimidating place. Cool that you had a track all to yourself to learn. Once you clear that first jump, you'll keep going bigger and bigger. It never ends.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-22-2010, 2:39 PM Reply   
^^^^when you slip a disk and have severe sciatica it does end for a bit
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-22-2010, 3:10 PM Reply   
i think the scarriest thing for me will be the 1st attempt to clear a double. cuz if you come up short...that's the worst. you gotta be 100% committed. my kids are way more timmid than i am (except for that 3y/o...he's gonna cost us some money at the ER).
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-22-2010, 3:57 PM Reply   
well ride smart...don't try to ride above your ability. Know that injuries with motocross are guaranteed. I've been racing/riding MX for 16 years and have had a lot of trips to the ER, but I can say it's all been worth it. Sadly the injuries are catching up and my MX days me be coming to an end...

Stay safe and have fun!
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       02-23-2010, 3:49 AM Reply   
Awesome! I've been wanting to ride at 3 Palms ever since I heard about it... 2 years and still haven't made the trip . I'll get down there eventually, I hear it's definitely worth the trip.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-23-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
Most of the doubles I've seen haven't been bad. I've cased many without incident. On public tracks, they are usually pretty tame. As long as you clear the upside of the second hump you're good. Here's a 80-90 footer. You can see how they flatten out the landing just incase. The down side is another 5-10 feet to the left (out of the picture).

I've worked my way up to the big jumps over the last two years. So far (knock on wood) no disasters yet. Like Ben said, just take it slow. Find a jump that is good for you. Once you dial it in, find the next. On go for it if you are confident. If there is any doubt, save it for another day.

Upload
Old     (brianmiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-23-2010, 11:58 AM Reply   
J-Rod, that pic turned out good. I am sackin up and going for that thing next time out there.

Another good thing is to pace behind someone that is already clearing the jump. That is how J-Rod first hit the one above and he had no problem with it. It gives you that confidence of knowing you are going the right speed.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-23-2010, 4:09 PM Reply   
Picture by Brian Miller ^^^^^

Thanks buddy. I hope you got the one I sent you.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-23-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
Nice jump Jarrod! looking good
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-24-2010, 7:54 AM Reply   
thanks, now I need to figure out how to add some style to it.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       02-24-2010, 3:24 PM Reply   
^^^^Please post a 'How To' thread when you figure it out... I'm in desperate need myself .