Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-10-2016, 10:18 AM Reply   
Apparently more people in Colorado are getting high than I thought! State department is reporting that $996,000,000 worth of MJ was sold last year and collected $135,000,000 in taxes. I think the state would put up a pretty good fight if one of these candidates running for prez were to try and take that away.
http://www.thecannabist.co/2016/02/0...million/47886/

Really makes you wonder how much illegal was being sold and still is.
Old     (oldman289)      Join Date: Dec 2015       02-10-2016, 12:51 PM Reply   
Its how it should be. Crime is down. Revenue is up. People are feeling free. Its a great time to be a Coloradan. I don't even smoke the stuff.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-10-2016, 1:54 PM Reply   
Sure makes the illegal states look like MORONS
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-10-2016, 2:14 PM Reply   
^^^correction: Ignorant morons
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-10-2016, 10:07 PM Reply   
I just wish they could reveal the stats showing how many brain cells are permanently out the window-relative to those pot sales numbers. Now, THAT would be interesting.....
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-11-2016, 6:15 AM Reply   
Good for Colorado, I hope they spend that tax money wisely.

I find it amusing that alcohol flows like the salmon of Capistrano throughout the States, but MJ is still illegal in almost all of them.

In the past 4ish months I've been to Aspen, Steamboat and Vail twice. Never bought any buds or edibles, MJ is just not my thing. I have spent a chunk of change on beer and a little bourbon. I do not for 1 second think alcohol is safer for my body or the general public, than MJ.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-11-2016, 6:55 AM Reply   
Neither alcohol or THC kills brain cells.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-11-2016, 10:13 AM Reply   
Its absolutely comical people still think weed kills brain cells! Read much???
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-11-2016, 11:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by migs View Post
Its absolutely comical people still think weed kills brain cells! Read much???
Okay so you're a stoner. We get that. Heck, 29 years ago, I used it medicinally to help me to stop scratching when I had chicken pox at 18. It worked perfectly. No scars. Recreational use is a totally different thing and I challenge you to show me successful members of society who are daily dope smokers. (the entire NFL is not a good example) Actually, I used to know one myself, but that was a long time ago and he moved on to more serious drugs after getting bored with daily pot use for ten+ years and ended up in prison because of it. I don't know everything so prove me wrong. I wanna see data that shows regular MJ users are even close to non-users in terms of brain function. Maybe you and John are technically correct in saying it doesn't "kill" brain cells, but I know sure as heck it alters them in a bad way, forever.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-12-2016, 7:45 AM Reply   
Oh I'm a stoner now, really? Man you're comedy.
Old    bigdtx            02-12-2016, 7:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
I challenge you to show me successful members of society who are daily dope smokers.
Does Carl Sagan count? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3367112.html
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-12-2016, 8:23 AM Reply   
I'm not thinking that successful members of society go around bragging about how much pot they consume.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-12-2016, 9:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
I'm not thinking that successful members of society go around bragging about how much pot they consume.
+1! I've worked with some pretty smart programmer's over my 20 year career that smoked it all of the time and/or did LSD as well. I'm not into either of those but it did make me wonder if weed unlocked something for them because I was never in that state of mind to come up with the ideas that they did.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-12-2016, 10:24 AM Reply   
Markj still thinks that pot crazed Mexicans are going to come and rape his wife. The pot industry was demonized to protect industries that it threatened such as the cotton industry as only one of many examples. As with most mis-information in a country such as ours, if you look behind the lies you will almost always find a capitalistic motive. Big business has always been able to use propaganda to sway the simple minded public into using government to do its bidding. Markj probably thinks net neutrality is bad as well because Verizon and Comcast told him so. Only stoner liberals who like communism could possibly think that it was a good idea to have legal marijuana and an uncensored internet. Those couldn't possibly be non partisan issues because there's no way for BIG business to make a pile of money from them.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-12-2016, 12:37 PM Reply   
Instead of a glass of wine or two after a hard day at work, a pot brownie can really mellow me out.

Arguably, it better on my body/liver too. And, not very different from the coffee I drink in the AM.
Old    mojo1127            02-12-2016, 1:11 PM Reply   
oh gosh. don't have a different opinion from eric or else he'll resort to name calling and bashing the free market while undoubtedly using something made by Microsoft, google, apple, or the like while not providing any facts to prove mark wrong. p.s. I agree about the mis information. however, net neutrality is bad. "Harvey Anderson, senior vice president of business and legal affairs for Mozilla, said the court's decision is alarming for Internet users because it will also provide broadband operators the legal ability to block any service they choose, which will undermine the once "free and unbiased Internet." it's the opposite of uncensored content.
--I am anxiously awaiting a snarky reply.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-12-2016, 3:26 PM Reply   
Actually the FCC rules on net neutrality specifically prohibit an ISP from blocking or censoring legal content. The rules were made because Comcast and Verizon had plans in the works and on paper to begin censoring internet content. These plans were squashed because of the FCC rules. The plan was to slow down any content that Comcast or Verizon didn't approve of unless the content provider paid them to be in a "fast lane", double dipping in essence since we already pay our ISP for a certain level of internet access. Harvey Anderson obviously has an agenda which is to make money. He has no obligation to tell you the truth. Harvey Anderson doesn't make money by telling you the truth. The fact that you believed him makes you a ____ (fill in your own description). No doubt anyone reading this thread already has an answer. Snarky enough for you?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-12-2016, 3:48 PM Reply   
How does this apply to ganja?
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-12-2016, 3:51 PM Reply   
Sorry for the hijack
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-12-2016, 4:00 PM Reply   
Oh man. I haven't even read all the posts here since I last posted and I already know I'm gettin flamed hard. Oh well. Maybe I should spark one up and relax about it? No thanks. I'll keep my brains intact, thank you. Now, someone hand me a beer!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-12-2016, 4:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverRider View Post
Markj still thinks that pot crazed Mexicans are going to come and rape his wife. The pot industry was demonized to protect industries that it threatened such as the cotton industry as only one of many examples. As with most mis-information in a country such as ours, if you look behind the lies you will almost always find a capitalistic motive. Big business has always been able to use propaganda to sway the simple minded public into using government to do its bidding. Markj probably thinks net neutrality is bad as well because Verizon and Comcast told him so. Only stoner liberals who like communism could possibly think that it was a good idea to have legal marijuana and an uncensored internet. Those couldn't possibly be non partisan issues because there's no way for BIG business to make a pile of money from them.
Okay... That has to be one of the most retarded troll-like responses ever. You went WAY off the reservation there, Tanto. You might wanna go use your "medicinal" bud and chill out before you say much more and TOTALLY marginalize yourself. Oops. Too late.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-12-2016, 4:23 PM Reply   
BTW, I'm still waiting for someone to point out any studies showing regular use of pot does no net damage to your brain. Anyone? I know Eric hopped on his liberal high horse and barfed up a bunch of stuff that never answered my original question so he's uber worthless. Anyone else wanna give it a try? I'm genuinely curious with zero agenda. I mean, I have my opinion , but I'm open to learning something if my opinion is wrong about pot causing dain bramage. Maybe it's not as bad as I think.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-12-2016, 4:42 PM Reply   
Why don't you post all the studies proving it damages brain cells?

All legalization does is take the money that used to go to the druglords and put it in the economy legally allowing it to be taxed and I'll bet there's still a billion going to the druglords. This is just the normal public use. It didn't go up when legalized. Noone who wouldnt smoke it before ran out and bought it just because it was now legal.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-12-2016, 4:47 PM Reply   
http://www.iflscience.com/brain/new-...-brain-changes
Old    mojo1127            02-12-2016, 6:20 PM Reply   
i will also apologize for taking the exit route eric provided. as a libertarian i don't care what a person does as long as it does not harm another regarding pot or the like. bang heroin for all i care, but you darn well better have health insurance that you do not take other peoples' money to pay for it. and so we are all clear; the people setting up these retail stores aren't doing it to be nice. they are doing it to make money. i guess we should condemn them for wanting to earn a living in the private sector by investing time, resources, and jumping through all the regulatory hoops in order to be in that business, all the while rising being arrested by the feds and/or not being allowed to use banks in many instances. here is where situational ethics come into play. when you like something the fed does you champion it. however, in the case of pot, which is only legal due to state law, you say screw the feds this is what we should do. can't have it both ways. the 10th amendment:The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-12-2016, 11:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftskir View Post
Thank you. That's exactly what I was asking for. Eric however, couldn't resist his desire to brainlessly blather with his dogmatic response. Unfortunately, the article was inconclusive at best if you're of the mindset that pot is even neutral for brain health. Having said that, I'm still open. I do appreciate GD mentioning his use of dope-relative to wine.
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       02-13-2016, 7:53 AM Reply   
There are several studies for pot smoking that support both sides of the argument. I am curious to how much the people who are anti weed, scared of it, or just ignorant of weed understand how weed or any drug (caffeine, nicotine, cocaine, etc.) interact with the brain?

I think colorado is a great example to show you how many successful members of society smoke weed. Denver is one of the fastest growing economies in America. I believe Austin and Denver are neck in neck to take the number 1 spot. Colorado's current unemployment rate is 4.2% and has one of the strongest housing markets in country, (13% average home price increase over the last year). McDonnell Douglas, Charles Schwab, Boeing, and a lot of tech companies have huge offices through out Denver. Weed is a part of the culture in colorado and lot of people from different walks of life smoke it here. But I can promise you with 996 million dollars in sales last year, if weed was only used by non productive members of society, Denver would not be the city it is today.
Old    mojo1127            02-13-2016, 12:48 PM Reply   
the biggest problem in the usa is that pot is classified as a schedule 1 drug with absolutely no medical uses. therefore, it has not been studied as it should have been over the years. In isreal for example, they have studied it extensively. They have created legitimate measures of dosage for use in pill form, or whatever else may be used for medical needs. here in the usa all the medical stuff is generally just assumed as to what level is actually in the dosage in whatever form(liquid, edible, smokeable.) as an aside, I thoroughly believe that for medical use nobody should be allowed to smoke it. that is the most basic way to ingest anything. vaporizing for medical use for inhaling should be the only thing allowed. recreationally legal pot should be used however the heck you want.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-13-2016, 5:24 PM Reply   
It's going to be reclassified...it's going to be legal throughout the USA for recreational use.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-15-2016, 7:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftskir View Post
It's going to be reclassified...it's going to be legal throughout the USA for recreational use.
I hope so! It's a plant that has soooo many uses and it's oil is already proven to help people with seizures. I think if the US would dump the schedule 1 stigma, we could make some real progress with it.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-22-2016, 10:05 AM Reply   
Just wanted to post up some facts about Colorado and our current "crime" situation. Hers a link with the facts.
http://www.9news.com/news/crime/crim...-year/50176654

Along with crime being up, so are the amount of homeless, vagrants, street corner beggars, and general thugs and riff raff. I'm a native and have lived here 48yrs. I want the old Colorado back.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-22-2016, 11:58 AM Reply   
That's a lot of auto theft's and vehicle break-ins. Are you implying that they are directly related to marijuana sales?
I would attribute the homelessness more to the high rents and gentrification that is going on. Lower income people have nowhere to live because the house that they once lived in that sold for $50k 10 years ago now sells for $400k.

Last edited by timmyb; 02-22-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-22-2016, 12:54 PM Reply   
Matty above posted "Its how it should be. Crime is down. Revenue is up. People are feeling free. Its a great time to be a Coloradan. I don't even smoke the stuff. "

Just wanted to show that crime is NOT down. People are NOT feeling free and that it is NOT such a great time to be in Colorado. Hard to feel "free" when you read the crime numbers and see it on the news every day. Homicides at a 10yr high. Rent and housing market is at a historic high. Traffic is absurd, the roads are in terrible shape, schools are overcrowded, etc.

Last edited by colorider; 02-22-2016 at 12:58 PM. Reason: j
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-22-2016, 2:11 PM Reply   
Its been around for thousands of years and was even used as currency. funny to see what the drug war propaganda created. The gateway drug argument is a funny one.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-22-2016, 2:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Hard to feel "free" when you read the crime numbers and see it on the news every day. Homicides at a 10yr high. Rent and housing market is at a historic high. Traffic is absurd, the roads are in terrible shape, schools are overcrowded, etc.
Sounds like the local news from... everywhere
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-23-2016, 7:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdtx View Post

Some of the most brilliant and successful people (some millionaires) I've met are MJ smokers. CEOS, and several of C-level executives. Really smart people.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-23-2016, 9:44 AM Reply   
You have to think of marijuana as alcohol. Lots of successful people drink but most don't drink excessively, aren't constantly wasted, and aren't alcoholics. Those are the losers. The same goes for pot. The successful users aren't high all the time, don't wake and bake, don't drive or go to work high, and they aren't burn outs. Too much of anything is bad. For some things such as crack, meth, and heroin - just trying it once is bad. Marijuana is just one of those things that has to be done in moderation unless, like me, you choose not to partake at all. It may be safer than alcohol but just for simplicity's sake, I'll put it on the exact same level. That means you still keep your kids from doing it.