Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (alolsen2012)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-21-2014, 12:23 PM Reply   
Hi Please can you follow the attached link and there is a vote asking if people want the 10 Knott speed limit lifting

Please vote YES http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/ half way down the page on the right hand side.

I live in the UK and Lake Windermere is Englands largest lake, and it has had a speed limit the last 9 years, while we can just about manage to wakeboard obviously we do a lot of Wakesurfing, but the lake as you might expect the lake is very quite the majority of the time, and the local economy has really suffered as a consequence. While this survey will not solve the whole thing it will show which side the public are on.

Thanks in advance.
Old     (alolsen2012)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-21-2014, 5:28 PM Reply   
Votes are appreciated
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       10-30-2014, 2:12 PM Reply   
How fast is 10 knots?
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       10-30-2014, 4:03 PM Reply   
11.5 MPH. Maybe you could squeeze a few more MPH before harassment but you're not gonna be running a practical riding speed. I don't see the article in that link but I'm curious what the reasoning to the law is. Probably either completely arbitrary or some reasoning that doesn't hold up to scrutiny.
Old     (chrislandy)      Join Date: Mar 2014       10-31-2014, 5:06 AM Reply   
They use radar to check your speed so no going over the limit!

The limit was apparently introduced to "restore the natural tranquility of the lake" but basically by doing that they have screwed over 90% of the boat owners and sunk the local economy. It used to be one the UK's most popular watersports lakes as skiing / powerboating / (add other watersport over 10mph)
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-31-2014, 4:53 PM Reply   
no hope at those speeds for wakeboarders..find another lake or switch to cable
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       10-31-2014, 6:42 PM Reply   
Natural tranquility? What a load of crap. What natural tranquility is there with a boat running 10 MPH nose up with straight pipes throwing huge rollers with a surfer behind it? Don't get me wrong, among the things I love most are the smell of two stroke in the morning (firing up the runabout to retrieve my inboard) and the sound of a straight piped ski boat running the course... These are the things I find tranquil.

Pretty much all my hobbies and interests involve burning fuel, but that law makes no sense. Where I live the liberals just outright outlaw anything fun. Public land (whihc they steal money from me to "maintain and enforce") cannot be used for things like dirt bikes, cannot off road in your truck because there are endangered bacteria living in that mud hole, cannot dredge your marina because fish and frogs are migrating, cannot use a gas powered boat on any lake in the state because liberals hate people minding their own business having fun while not harming anyone, cannot have a drag strip or off road park on private property because liberals build rich folk developments next door eventually and kick you off your own land, etc... At least they're honest criminals here and just flat out say no gas engines on most lakes.

Anyhow, good luck with the fight. You might suggest these liberal types give up electricity and indoor plumbing, to restore natural tranquility...
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-11-2014, 12:43 PM Reply   
couldn't find where to vote?
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       11-11-2014, 1:13 PM Reply   
I looked high and low and couldn't find the spot to vote either.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       11-19-2014, 4:00 PM Reply   
I think the article is old enough that the poll was likely removed.

That said, this is probably the article that accompanied the poll.

http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co....change/?ref=mr
Old     (StuartM)      Join Date: Sep 2014       11-20-2014, 12:52 AM Reply   
Don't the ferrys go faster than 10 knots?