Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-02-2016, 1:23 PM Reply   
I need another project like I need a whole in the Head but I keep coming back to wanting a Hobie Cat.

I'm looking to do a Electric Hobie Cat. (Lithium Bat's with Brush less motor's) So I don't need or want the sails and or ANYTHING to do with making it ever Sail. In fact I'm gonna construct a overhead Bimini /Solar panel so the mast and all its stuff would go in the garbage. With that said What should I look for?

the 2 most common sizes are 16 and 18? I have absolutely Zero experience with these? any advice or things to look for would be great Thanks
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-02-2016, 1:35 PM Reply   
I fail to see the point if youre not going to sail it????? What am I missing here.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-02-2016, 3:15 PM Reply   
I wanted to use a Hobie because the hull is probably the most fluidly efficient design or platform out there. Think of it like a Duffy Boat just something to put around on.
Seeing I'm not going to use the sail or the ropes or most of the hardware that makes them or breaks them. I'm guessing I just need to know about the components that are left, Hulls, Trampoline, Rudders ect?
Old     (duderdude1)      Join Date: Mar 2014       03-02-2016, 9:52 PM Reply   
Grant, I have restored an old Prindle 18 (like a Hobie 18) some things to look out for would be soft spots in the fiberglass hulls, deep dents on the decks of the hulls, corrosion on the tramp stands, tears or rips in the tramp and stiching on the tramp. I would look for soild hulls and plan on replacing the tramp with a new. Things that are great if you ever wanted to sail it not that you seem to. Would be a sealed mast, crisp sails or a box top sail, furling jib, and newer rigging standing and running.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-02-2016, 9:55 PM Reply   
Why not just get a Duffy then? There are tons of them in harbors of SoCal. They are the ultimate cruiser. I'm sure you could find a sweet deal on a used one to turn into a project. So many ways to pimp those out. I'm sure you'd find new ways too.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-03-2016, 6:13 AM Reply   
I like the way at you think G. I'll go get my popcorn.