Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-31-2011, 8:46 AM Reply   
I am redesigning a new battery bank this winter and wanted to confirm that I have my wiring down. I am going to be using 2 6v's for my stereo bank and I want them wired in series to create 1 12v bank. I will also have a 12v starting battery in the mix.

I would everything to be wired thruough the Blue Sea Switch as well.

Please let me know if my drawing is correct.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Wiring Schematic.pdf (171.5 KB, 249 views)
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-31-2011, 8:49 AM Reply   
I can't figure out how to get the actual picture of the wiring design to post - if someone can help, it would be much apprectiated
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-31-2011, 8:53 AM Reply   
You don't link all the grounds together. so, the middle battery doesn't need to connect to the common ground. The other 6 vt serves as the ground for that 12v bank. hope that makes sense. The rest looks ok.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-31-2011, 8:59 AM Reply   
Thanks

Last edited by murphy_smith; 10-31-2011 at 9:07 AM.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-31-2011, 9:25 AM Reply   
I'm under the impression you should eliminate the connection between negative of the middle 6V and the 12V. Have the negative on the first 6V go directly to the boat ground. But I will defer to the gurus here if they disagree with my assessment.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-31-2011, 9:54 AM Reply   
I erased the ground between the 2 6V batteries. Everthing else looks good.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-31-2011, 9:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
I erased the ground between the 2 6V batteries. Everthing else looks good.
Oops
Attached Images

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-31-2011, 9:58 AM Reply   
Actually, where are you running the amp positive to on the switch? The battery 2 terminal or the common? I would probably prefer to run it straight to the stereo bank.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-31-2011, 10:16 AM Reply   
Thanks so much guys!!

I am excited to go the golf cart route....232 amps hours for 200 bucks!!!!
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-31-2011, 10:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Actually, where are you running the amp positive to on the switch? The battery 2 terminal or the common? I would probably prefer to run it straight to the stereo bank.
I am going to run everything thru a switch. I forgot to mention that I am going to move to the 5511e switch. IMO it is much more simple that then 9001e.

Just flip the battery switch to combine when running the boat and the flip it to on when in the cove with the engine off. This will keep the stereo back completely spereate from the starting bank.

http://bluesea.com/files/resources/i...eb_version.pdf

Last edited by murphy_smith; 10-31-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-31-2011, 10:50 AM Reply   
also remove the line linking the negs. Then add a wire to connect the open negative terminal on the bottom batt to the top 12v neg.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-31-2011, 11:18 AM Reply   
I do not believe you should connect different types (gel, flooded, AGM or differing voltages) of batteries together which is why I suggested running a separate ground from the golf battery bank to the boat ground.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-31-2011, 11:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalrider View Post
I do not believe you should connect different types (gel, flooded, AGM or differing voltages) of batteries together which is why I suggested running a separate ground from the golf battery bank to the boat ground.
Is there any harm in the grounds being together....I can see why you would not hook the positive's together
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-31-2011, 11:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy_smith View Post
Is there any harm in the grounds being together....I can see why you would not hook the positive's together
I don't think it matters as much as some think as long as you keep the banks disconnected while using your at home charger. As for the grounds even if you run a seperate ground back to the block, both battery banks are still connected together on the negative side. It just means more cable cost.

Murphy, I should have menioned this but I think I would be careful running that switch in the both position all the time except when sitting. While sitting partying just put in the on position. Then leave it there till after you start up and wait a couple minutes to throw it back into the combined switch. Then I would switch it back to the on position after 10 or 15 minutes or so. If you jsut leave it in the both position for lets say a half hour or so, your alternator is going to work 100% for that time frame to try and charge the stereo bank back up. Give it a break every once in a while so it can cool down.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-31-2011, 12:11 PM Reply   
Brett - I agree