Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RidingTheNW)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-19-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
I'm planning on getting a Wakesetter VLX soon. I'm debating between the 02-04 VLX with the SV23 hull and a 05 VLX. I ride a 94 Echelon with the SV23 hull and love it. Just looking for some input on which wake is better? Photos of the wakes would be sweet to see too! How are people weighting these boats?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-19-2010, 11:33 AM Reply   
people say to stay away from the diamond hull.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-19-2010, 11:33 AM Reply   
I havent ridden the SV23 hull but I hear its good. However, our boat is an 05 VLX. Its a really great wake. Its nice and smooth transition, pretty mellow, but when weighted It really gives you good lift and hang time without being abrupt. We usually run ours with the factory 1250+wedge and a 725lb sack in the walk through. With a few people it gets really nice. Load the back up and it gets pretty steep but still not too abrupt. Weight the front to mellow it out. Everyone of my friends that rides our wake really likes it. I like it way more than the new VLX hull. One of my friends, a pretty advanced rider, says that he likes the 05 hull better than any other VLX hull or any boat for that matter. I havent heard anyone that doesnt like it, only people that like others more.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-19-2010, 11:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingTheNW View Post
I'm planning on getting a Wakesetter VLX soon. I'm debating between the 02-04 VLX with the SV23 hull and a 05 VLX. I ride a 94 Echelon with the SV23 hull and love it. Just looking for some input on which wake is better? Photos of the wakes would be sweet to see too! How are people weighting these boats?
Kyle, I believe the general consensus is that the 05-08 hull is better for wakeboarding assuming it is the wake hull and not the diamond hull.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-19-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
The diamond hull=/=the wake hull. You can get malibus in diamond or wake hulls on wakesetters. I think the VLX only comes in the wake hull, although I could be wrong.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-19-2010, 11:37 AM Reply   
I had an 06 Vride, same hull as the 02-04vlx, wake was great with or without wedge. I ran 1200lbs in the rear, 600 center, 400lb bow + people and sometimes the wedge. You may want to extend your boat search to the 2005-2008 Vrides - the same wake hull. Heres is a 2006 Vride wake pic:

The 05 vlx hull is the hull i have currently on my 08 vlx. The wake is awesome, but I also heavily utilize the power wedge, which wasn't an option until 2006. You will have to weight down the 2005 much more than a 02-04 vlx, because its a bigger boat. The advantage to that is, you get alot more interior room. The feel from an 02-04 hull to an 05 is insanely different. The 05 has much more room and storage space. Personally, I wouldn't have an 05 VLX because of it lacking the power wedge. Although, I know when weighted with no wedge, the 05-08 hull still throws a really nice wake. I just like using the power wedge to get more of a "straight up" lip. I run factory rear tanks with another 400lbs of sand in the rear, 400lb sand/lead in the nose, 500lb center tank, with another 100 of sand under back seats.
08 wake pic:

Regardless, either boat will be 100 times better than the echelon. Somewhat similar in shape, but way bigger and much more fun. If its a VLX or a Vride, its going to have the "wake hull". I believe Suncape Vdrives, etc had the diamond hull which was supposed to be better for slalom/mellower wake scenarios.

Last edited by bhyatt_ohp; 10-19-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old     (fabs128)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-19-2010, 12:13 PM Reply   
I have owned a 2001 Wakesetter VLX and currently own a 2005 VLX. I would have to say that the 05' VLX is a better wake. I run 4 stock tanks and two vdrive sacs at 500 a piece and 360lbs in lead. I normally run without the wedge and it is perfect. I have used the wedge before and it is much bigger. You cant go wrong with either hull but my preference is the V25 hull which is on the 05'-09' VLX's. Have fun with the new boat.
Old     (RidingTheNW)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-19-2010, 12:19 PM Reply   
Yeah i know the diamond hull is not good at all to have for wakeboarding. The echelon has the SV23 wake hull that the 00-04 wakesetters have, and I like it a lot, but I'm over riding a slammed direct drive boat with no floor space. Its time for a V-drive boat. Brandon, which wake did you like riding on better, your V-Ride or the 08 VLX?
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-19-2010, 1:59 PM Reply   
I love both wakes, but I do like the 08VLX better. It is a wider wake though and can get very big. The older vlx hull can get big too, so don't write it off if you find a killer deal on one. If you can, go with the 05 up hull. You will have more room and a super legit wake.

Pre Pop wake vid a few years back had alot of shots from an 2004 VLX that was yellow and white, look for it and danny harf riding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IggttTXIdwg

Up close vid of the 08 VLX:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h31wUFwI0Q8
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-19-2010, 3:47 PM Reply   
I ride both pretty regularly and to be perfectly honest I have a hard time saying one is better than the other wake wise. I think they both can throw a great wake. The newer boat has more space and makes stacking weight much easier. I think overall the new boat is better, more space and a better ride.
Old     (RidingTheNW)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-19-2010, 3:58 PM Reply   
Awesome! Thanks for the info everyone!
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-18-2011, 3:13 PM Reply   
You can get a 02-04 in the 20k range, I suppose the 05 vride(same hull)is going for 30k, why not get a low hour 02-04 vlx with the same hull for a cheaper price?
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-18-2011, 3:54 PM Reply   
Both wakes are similar, but the 05 is a little more mellow (depending on the wedge setting) and can get bigger. Both wakes are fun but I would choose the 05. I like the wake with no wedge and about 3-4000 lbs of ballast. The 05 also has a lot more storage where the older vlx have tanks that take up some of the back compartments.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-18-2011, 6:18 PM Reply   
X2 with everything e said above. I rode both boats wedgeless with 3200 in the old hull and 3600 in the newer (05-08). Wakes were both very fun and very big, but i liked the 07 a lot better. It was a tad bit wider and mellower and seemed to be firmer at the same speeds. However, the 07 felt way bigger inside, drove better, turned better...
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-18-2011, 8:28 PM Reply   
I owned the 00 VLX for 10 years.

Was 00 hull different from the 02-04 hull? I thought they were the same.

My 00 VLX always left me with a bit of wake envy. I had 400 lb of lead in the bow, the center ballast full and the rear lockers full. Yet, to make the wake less rampy (more vert), I would put more weight in the back which would have me always flirting with excessive bow rise, difficulty to get on plan and porpoising.

I guess it all depends on the wake you like. Some like it rampy. Some like it steep. I think the perfect wake is between the original SAN wake and the original VLX wake but more towards the SAN than the VLX.