Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       02-21-2015, 8:11 AM Reply   
http://redding.craigslist.org/boa/4874913046.html

This might start a new trend.
Old     (chriscno)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-21-2015, 10:14 AM Reply   
Lol
Old     (retoxtony)      Join Date: Apr 2012       02-21-2015, 10:48 AM Reply   
I see this kind of thing alot. Do these people not even look at a picture before deciding where to mount the tower?
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-21-2015, 11:20 AM Reply   
Looks exactly like it should...on a Bayliner.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       02-22-2015, 11:47 AM Reply   
He put 6K in that? Ouch.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-22-2015, 1:56 PM Reply   
Kimball Bearings?????
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-23-2015, 3:47 AM Reply   
Lets be honest it really doesn't take anything away from that boat.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-23-2015, 6:12 AM Reply   
Eh, years ago I had to put a million aftermarket towers on I/Os. It can get weird. There may be a technical reason It had to be mounted that way. They may be utilizing a brace in the gunnel for support. I would almost always have to buildout something custom make it work because I didn't want to make it look goofy.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       02-23-2015, 7:05 AM Reply   
We've actually got one on our lake that looks almost identical, except the rear legs are mounted about 4' more forward.
Old     (quik876)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-24-2015, 9:22 AM Reply   
I'm gonna have to agree with Justin on this one. Putting a tower on a basic runabout boat to bring it up to wakeboard towable CAN get pretty tricky. When my buddies and I started several years ago we debated a LONG time as to where a good placement for the tower (for a Stingray runabout) was going to work both in a functional way but still look asthetic . If you try to put that one in the picture back too much further, the back legs would probably be in the middle of those vents on the rear of the boat so they wouldn't be able to lock it down in the rear there (which is probably why they had to keep it so far forward). Pluss, like Justin said they probably needed to work out a stability issue with the gunnel since the area they PLANNED to put wouldn't have quite been strong enough to handle it. I think they just used a tower with too wide a stance for that type of boat.

They might've gotten away with a more narrow stanced tower (maybe an adjustable length/width tower would've worked better for them) Another issue might've been the clearance for the Bimini that was already on the boat (which makes me wonder why they didn't spring for a bimini package deal to complete it and remove the factory bimini.

Last edited by quik876; 02-24-2015 at 9:25 AM.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-24-2015, 3:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by quik876 View Post
why they didn't spring for a bimini package deal to complete it and remove the factory bimini.
Because Bayliner owner.

My parents just purchased one last season. A clapped out 1992 Bayliner Capri with a really tired interior, gel coat, and to top it off a blown engine, for dirt cheap. They're swapping a new engine into it and talking about putting a tower on it.
The whole situation makes me sick. For the time and money they are putting into it, they could have easily gotten into an open bow direct drive, which would be perfect as my dad loves to slalom.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-24-2015, 10:12 PM Reply   
That guy got ripped off if he paid 4k for that!!
Old     (quik876)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-25-2015, 7:33 AM Reply   
Well that's true phathom, but whether the Bayliner line has a good quality bimini or not. It still probably woulda worked out better to get a bimini that worked with the tower itself. But like you mentioned some people just get that name brand myopia and they don't stray from it.

And they'll go all out, even to fix one that for a similar amount of money and less work (especially if they're doin' the restoration project themselves) to go with somethin else. But if they've got the money and or time then that's their business.
Old     (warrenbn)      Join Date: Feb 2015       03-03-2015, 6:59 PM Reply   
Makes me think of this one I saw the other day

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/boa/4885045125.html
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-04-2015, 5:52 AM Reply   
That one is even better, they got the back leg backwards.
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       03-04-2015, 11:51 AM Reply   
Either that or they tried to pull up a really heavy person and the legs bent out ... LOL