Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dDubya)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-03-2016, 8:40 AM Reply   
Anyone try listing a surfgate 23LSV or T23? I love the boats, just not a fan of the surfgate wave. I sold my Z3 and am trying to duplicate its perfect wave as close as possible, without spending $100k. Thinking of a "quick release" method of attaching the surfgate so I can remove it when I'm surfing and reinstall if I'm bringing out a bigger crew or to resell it.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-03-2016, 10:57 AM Reply   
Surf systems like NSS, Swell, Surfgate, and whatever MC calls their's can't (at this time) reproduce the listed shape/lip of a dialed Z3 or Centurion Enzo or FS. The T23 wave is very nice with weight and a breeze to set up.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-03-2016, 12:11 PM Reply   
Just cause it has the surf system on it does not mean you have to use it. You can just keep the surf system turned off and list your boat all you want. We have done it on occasion. No reason to full remove it from the boat.
Old    r33pwrd            01-03-2016, 4:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dDubya View Post
Anyone try listing a surfgate 23LSV or T23? I love the boats, just not a fan of the surfgate wave. I sold my Z3 and am trying to duplicate its perfect wave as close as possible, without spending $100k. Thinking of a "quick release" method of attaching the surfgate so I can remove it when I'm surfing and reinstall if I'm bringing out a bigger crew or to resell it.
Personally I love my wake with the surfgate (A24) I have tried listing with and without the SG and every time I go back the even weight and using the gates and moving people to surf side.
Old     (dDubya)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-03-2016, 4:25 PM Reply   
I remember reading a thread where someone tried listing a SG boat, T23 I think, and it appeared the surf gate paddle on the listed side disrupted the flow and uglied up the wave.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-03-2016, 5:49 PM Reply   
why remove the SG gates, just dont deploy it?
Old    r33pwrd            01-03-2016, 5:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
I remember reading a thread where someone tried listing a SG boat, T23 I think, and it appeared the surf gate paddle on the listed side disrupted the flow and uglied up the wave.
I can get mine clean but loses all the push without the SG.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       01-05-2016, 12:05 PM Reply   
Surf gates were designed to be used on non-listed boats. If the surf gates gets below the water line, the "delayed convergence" doesn't happen and the wave goes to ****.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-05-2016, 1:20 PM Reply   
Dont you mean "above the water line"? All the gates boats ive been in, the side deployed is the non surf side. So if the boat was listed to the surf side, what would be the deployed gate, would be at or above the water line. As far as the non-deployed gate on the surf side, its in the water either way, so I dont see it causing an issue listed v's "evenly" weighted. It may, just doesnt seem that it would.
Old     (dDubya)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-05-2016, 11:21 PM Reply   
It would appear though that the gate being fully submerged in the surf side of a listed boat would disrupt the flow of water the damaging the face of the wave.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       01-06-2016, 6:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
Dont you mean "above the water line"? All the gates boats ive been in, the side deployed is the non surf side. So if the boat was listed to the surf side, what would be the deployed gate, would be at or above the water line. As far as the non-deployed gate on the surf side, its in the water either way, so I dont see it causing an issue listed v's "evenly" weighted. It may, just doesnt seem that it would.
Yeah. I was thinking about that backwards.

But also if the boat is too heavily weighted and the surf gate does gets below the waterline on the non surf side then it will also cause that issue. A lot of the guys building ghetto gates get that problem when mounting them too low.
Old    r33pwrd            01-06-2016, 6:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
It would appear though that the gate being fully submerged in the surf side of a listed boat would disrupt the flow of water the damaging the face of the wave.
In my experience it has little effect.
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-06-2016, 11:19 AM Reply   
I have had a fair amount of experience with this this summer and there is a big difference if you list when using Surfgate, the wake stands of and gets much steeper. If you run like a 60/40 stock ballast then add weight to the surf side, either people or ballast there is a drastic difference.
Old    r33pwrd            01-06-2016, 8:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKASurfing View Post
I have had a fair amount of experience with this this summer and there is a big difference if you list when using Surfgate, the wake stands of and gets much steeper. If you run like a 60/40 stock ballast then add weight to the surf side, either people or ballast there is a drastic difference.
Yup I have found with mine even 300lbs (2 extra people) on the surf side makes a big difference.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-07-2016, 6:17 AM Reply   
you guys are talking about two different things... listing (i.e. traditional surf weighting on one side) and cheating (using surf system but running a bit of extra weight on the surf side). Pretty sure the OP is asking about listing.

IME using SG on a '14 LSV, cheating really helps the regular wave. Goofy doesn't need it.

But I've never tried listing the boat.
Old    r33pwrd            01-07-2016, 8:43 AM Reply   
I agree but I think the point is you can do both to improve the SG wave if it is not good enough for you. I will tell you I can't imagine having to fully list a boat after having SG's. I surf both sides and I'll give up a little wake quality to do that (although I don't feel like I'm giving up anything)
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-07-2016, 10:51 AM Reply   
Apples to Oranges here but I rode on a 2016 Tige RZ2 with the TAPS3 on it and we listed it (drained opposite side down) and didn't use the surf settings and it produced the same exact wave that I have on my old 2007 RZ2 (which is taller and steeper than the non-listed wave) just as one would think that it would. I don't see how the Surfgate would be any different, as TigeMike is pointing out, when you list it, the surfgate would be out of the water or only partially submerged and if it's not deployed, would hopefully not interfere too much.
Old     (Atxjones)      Join Date: Sep 2015       01-07-2016, 7:10 PM Reply   
Wake surfing is a waste of time and lame ! Just weight your boat and wakeboard like you're supposed to ! Sick of wakesurfers destroying my lake and smooth water !
Old    r33pwrd            01-07-2016, 7:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atxjones View Post
Wake surfing is a waste of time and lame ! Just weight your boat and wakeboard like you're supposed to ! Sick of wakesurfers destroying my lake and smooth water !
What lake do you own?
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-08-2016, 6:59 AM Reply   
Isn't that water skiers use to say (or still do) about wake boarders?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-08-2016, 7:41 AM Reply   
The problem I have always had with a listed boat is that you have to drive it. That is why I love my surfgate. That said, I weigh the boat evenly, but shift the passengers to the surf side. The gate still gets plenty of traction w/o spray and it is not a nightmare to drive.