Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old                11-30-2004, 4:56 PM Reply   
I am very new to the whole video editing thing and am looking for a good setup to start out with but that I won't outgrow in six months. I would like to get into a mac with some version of final cut. Witch version would be best? Can I go right to pro 4? And I have a few questions about hardware. I found a g5 on overstock.com that seems like a good deal(link at bottom). Will this system run pro 4? And last question can I use any monitor with a mac or due I have to buy one from apple.

Thanks

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=737682
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-30-2004, 10:46 PM Reply   
for just starting out that computer would run great with final cut pro. Running with scissors and Boombox were both done on a apple power book g4 laptop. I run an upgraded flat panal imac g4 with 3 external lacie hard drives. It runs just fine. I would recomend just getting final cut express then after you learn it you can upgrade to pro. also you should mess around with imovie just to get the hang of editing. final cut is alot to jump into if you have never edited before. You can use almost any monitor on the stand alone macs. Just not on the imac or emac computers
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-01-2004, 6:15 AM Reply   
thats not really a good deal. for $200 you can get a 1.8 with double the RAM. look at apple.com. free shipping too. personally, i would stay away from a mac, if this system is gonna double as a gaming/internet computer.

as for software, start with what the pros use. a slimmed down version of it anyway.
http://avid.com/freedv/index.asp

(Message edited by toolfan on December 01, 2004)
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-03-2004, 7:23 AM Reply   
Brinks is right, for editing DV Final Cut Express is all you really need. Any G5 system will run final Cut like a champ. If your final destination will be DVD than look for one with a Superdrive. iDVD is a free program which is capable of producing a commercial quality DVD master but it only works on PM's with a superdrive. (unless there's a hack out now, haven't been following that)
Old                12-03-2004, 4:18 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone. Any other pointers?
Old     (thelakeisglass)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-04-2004, 4:35 PM Reply   
Don't listen to toolfan about the "stay away from Mac . . ." the Mac will do anything you want it to and DV better than any windoze box. My PowerbookG4 17" edits (FCP4) and burns DVD's like nothing . . .and is a great internet and gamer. Windoze users mean well but are deep in the Microsoft box which is too bad
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-09-2004, 8:38 PM Reply   
oh ya if u get a G5 get at least a lil bit more ram
Old                12-09-2004, 9:00 PM Reply   
"the Mac will do anything you want it to and DV better than any windoze box"

...and then you wake up, someone buys you a clue, etc.

Mac-Nazis crack me up.
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-10-2004, 7:55 AM Reply   
Mac-Nazis.

Hey, perhaps instead of giving the guy the advice he asked for (Question for Mac users. "I would like to get into a Mac."), we can turn this into one of those lame mine vs. yours threads.

I'll start... I own a Mac and a Super Air Nautique; all other products on the face of the earth must bow down to MINE!
Old     (ddoubleu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-13-2004, 2:29 PM Reply   
ehy i just went through the whole jump into video and did this whole thing just like what your doing i went with the G5 and just a junker monitor (for now) but i got final cut pro HD and learned it relativly quickly i had help though but i love the whole set up. i just want a new monitor or two. good luck
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-14-2004, 11:31 AM Reply   
I'm not trying to start a mud-slingin' contest.

Im not bragging, but I do speak from experience.
I am a professional video editor. Thats all I do, all day long. Macs are NOT bad machines. If you really want to get FCP and dont think you will EVER edit with other program...get a MAC. Otherwise, stay away from them. I work all day on a MAC. At home I have 2 PCs. I like to play alot of games and edit on my home machines. Mostly play video games though. PCs are WAY MORE FLEXIBLE! Programs come out sooner for PCs and so do the updates/upgrades. More and more editing programs are veering away from Mac support, except for FCP. Adobe wants out of Mac and so does Avid. I deal with Adobe and Avid techicians daily. They tell me want I am telling you. Down the road, all Adobe programs (Photoshop, After Effects, etc..) will probably not be made for Macs.

Personally, if I had to make a home editting system, I would get a PC with Sony Vegas.
Old     (drakewake)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-16-2004, 12:13 AM Reply   
too bad the technicians your talking to don't run the software companies. Adobe is not pulling the plug on Mac.
If you are a creative person, get a mac. FCP will give you everything you will need and more as an amature.
Old                12-16-2004, 7:59 AM Reply   
"Adobe is not pulling the plug on Mac."

Please explain Adobe's decision to make Premiere Pro only compatible with Windows XP.

It's quite true that Adobe is not spending the money to make software compatible with Apple in areas where Apple already has a product that they have written and that they are pushing.
Old     (drakewake)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-16-2004, 10:50 AM Reply   
I agree, but Apple does not have anything in competition with Photoshop, After Effects, Illustartor....
As for Premiere,
That would be a real easy decision for Adobe. Premiere is not their strongest product. They do not compete with the quality or marketing of FCP and it is not a part of their creative suite that they are known for. I use Adobe products every day and teach Digital Painting using Photoshop. I think that they make great products. I was reacting to a blanket statement that is not accurate, it is an opinion. IF they do eventually stop making products for mac (which I highly doubt), it will be far enough in the future that the computer you buy today will not be affected.
Old                12-16-2004, 11:00 AM Reply   
"Apple does not have anything in competition with Photoshop"

iPhoto competes directly with Adobe's consumer targeted image editing software, Photoshop Album, and guess what...PS Album isn't Mac compatible.

Do you see a trend here?

Old     (drakewake)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-16-2004, 3:59 PM Reply   
PS Album???? You are proving my point. If you are creative buy a mac. Mac users would not buy this product even if it was available. iphoto is free.
I am not sure that I see any point to arguing this.
I was trying to help someone find a system to create videos with.
Good Luck.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-17-2004, 6:26 AM Reply   
"Please explain Adobe's decision to make Premiere Pro only compatible with Windows XP."

we are still waiting....

I know how you feel Scot, if I would have dumped alot of money in a machine that software companies are pulling the plug on, I would be defensive and in denial too.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-17-2004, 2:40 PM Reply   
u mac haters are trippen, I go to a creative school and all the VJ's use is Photoshop for mac becasue its soo great. i dont belive that adobes pullen the plug if they make such much $$$ from everyone buying it. If you are in Media then you want a mac, office or games then PC. And if you are an editor, then you know its Advid or FCP in some cases. But then when it somes to that time of system its a lot bigger than anyone using here. and i know that for a fact.

Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-17-2004, 2:43 PM Reply   
also Adobe Premiere is not as good or even as close to FCP, so no buys it for mac, easy anwser. thats why there probably getting rid of it for macs. I used both, and i use to cut on PC, i switched because PCS cant hang with all the renders im doen.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-20-2004, 12:05 PM Reply   
...well since I am in Media and use a Mac (note my work setup below)

I am switching my Mac Avid MediaComposer to the PC version soon, under the advise of my friend that works at Avid(he is actually getting groomed to be a VP).

"But then when it somes to that time of system its a lot bigger than anyone using here. and i know that for a fact."
....GUESS AGAIN!
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-17-2005, 2:10 PM Reply   
well if you want to show whos is bigger come down to VC and ill show you the protools lab that i can access anytime, not a big deal oh ya for got about the two sound stages and back lot.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-19-2005, 6:25 AM Reply   
From the "MacNazi" camp:

Adobe stopped supporting Premiere Pro on the MAC because they realized MAC users probably wouldn't buy the program. Adobe let Premiere lag a bit for a few years and FCP slipped in. No other reason then that, good business decision.

There was a lot of buzz around the Adobe booth at MacWorld about what Adobe mgt's reaction would be to the new version of iPhoto with it's RAW support and histogram. This is going to make a big dent in Adobe's bundled software deals.

As far as Adobe dumping the MAC with their other software like Photoshop, they wouldn't dare. Most of the PS heavy hitters out there like Russel Brown and all the NAPP guys use it on the Mac.

Avids' a smart company, giving away a stripped down version of AvidXpressDV means there may be some users in the future to actually buy their main products.

Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-27-2005, 9:23 PM Reply   
What about an ibook with 7??of and an 80 gig hard drive with a superdrive? 14" any good?