Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-16-2012, 1:36 PM Reply   
Ok it's happened again!Every darn year i get a hornets nest inside the tongue of my trailer!!They are very agressive,been stung every year trying to hook it up to truck.Today i was just sitting near it trying to relax got attacked by one.They seem to have attitude!Can't see nest too far in there not sure what to sprray in there don't want to damage wires/connections.Wondering if anyone else has this problem and how they solved it.Even when i tow it 90 miles away for a week they don't seem to get lost.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-16-2012, 4:03 PM Reply   
There are MANY different makers of wasp spray that come in cans that will shoot accurately from 15'+ away. Try Home Depot or any home and garden store. Don't worry about the wiring either. Some of the sprays are made to shoot into electrical panels without any harm.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-16-2012, 4:05 PM Reply   
water?
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-16-2012, 4:20 PM Reply   
I really dont see how any wasp killer would damage anything on your trailer.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-16-2012, 4:22 PM Reply   
Ya blasted them with water once didn't phase them.Always come back.I guesse if there are sprays that can be shot into electrical panels i will try that.Hard to hit them direcly cause can't see up in there and don't want to stick my face close enough to pinpoint them.Maybe i'll submerge the trailer in the lake overnight in 40 deg water.

Last edited by slowwwflowww; 04-16-2012 at 4:31 PM.
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       04-16-2012, 7:20 PM Reply   
you need hair spray and a lighter...... when they come out of the hive to attack you their wings bet burned off
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       04-16-2012, 7:26 PM Reply   
To kill wasps I've used muriatic acid watered down around 50/50 in a spray bottle. Set to a heavy mist and they die quick, drop out of the air. If you're quick you can keep them off you with it. It may discolor the paint on the trailer though. You'd want to wash it down real good with water after they're dead so it doesn't bubble the paint and rust. If you do acid though be careful not to breathe the acidic mist, it'll burn your lungs and eyes too.

I'd try any ol' bee/wasp killer spray first, just hose down after. If that doesn't work, up your game.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-16-2012, 7:36 PM Reply   
All you need is a pot of gasoline under your trailer hitch when the suns out.Wasps ,hornets and bees breathe through their skin and the fumes from the gasoline will kill them.I had a hornets nest under one of the eaves of my house.I put a pot of gasoline on a ladder at night [that's when there not active] then when i got up the next morning they were dropping like flies.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-16-2012, 7:39 PM Reply   
yeah mike, thats what i meant by "water". drop your trailer in the water all the way and leave it...
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-16-2012, 8:21 PM Reply   
Gee wiz hasn't anyone killed wasps before? Did I accidentally go to the "Girls who ride" section? All you gotta do is hit the area where they're coming and going from with that long distance wasp spray like I said before. Expect to go through a full can if it's real bad. As they come out you just keep spraying a little bit very so often to make sure that "everyone" is covered. That doesnt mean you're dead if you dont hit all of them. All they have to do is get a little bit on them and they're done. You then walk a little closer after a minute and then when it seems like there's no more- you release hellfire inside that trailer tounge if you need to. Then go change your tampon! Just kidding. The residual spray which will stay under the trailer tounge and in nooks and crannies should keep them out for quite awhile. You know what would make this thread better? Pics.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-16-2012, 8:26 PM Reply   
Pot of gasoline? Never heard of that before. Sounds interesting. Acid? No thanks. Wasp spray starting from 15' back is risk free.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-16-2012, 9:32 PM Reply   
Spray for hornets at late dusk. The hornets will be back from their foraging and all in the nest. If you see any leaving, wait longer. I use Raid brand. Mind you, I have never had them in my trailer.
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       04-16-2012, 9:58 PM Reply   
Brake cleaner will put a hurting on them too! Learned that in a pinch one day when I didn't have any wasp spray on hand....
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-16-2012, 10:30 PM Reply   
Just hook the boat up and back that sucker into the water, and leave it for a few minutes.
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-17-2012, 6:30 AM Reply   
Carb cleaner or starting fluid work as well and shoot a nice stream lol.

Whatever you do once you kill them all make sure to knock the hive out as well, that's why they keep returning.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-17-2012, 7:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
Gee wiz hasn't anyone killed wasps before? Did I accidentally go to the "Girls who ride" section? All you gotta do is hit the area where they're coming and going from with that long distance wasp spray like I said before. Expect to go through a full can if it's real bad. As they come out you just keep spraying a little bit very so often to make sure that "everyone" is covered. That doesnt mean you're dead if you dont hit all of them. All they have to do is get a little bit on them and they're done. You then walk a little closer after a minute and then when it seems like there's no more- you release hellfire inside that trailer tounge if you need to. Then go change your tampon! Just kidding. The residual spray which will stay under the trailer tounge and in nooks and crannies should keep them out for quite awhile. You know what would make this thread better? Pics.
bahahahha I agree! have you all never just taken a can of wasp/hornet killer and gotten the job done before?!? make sure you take out the next after you kill them too. and no the nest won't sting you.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-17-2012, 11:32 AM Reply   
Ok ok sorry for silly thread.Just wasn't sure if I should spray chemicals up around/on wires.Anyway problem solved,sold trailer.Just kidding I used spray around entrance and will continue to until they are gone then will fish for nest.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-17-2012, 1:04 PM Reply   
Pee on those bitches ! They hate pee!!!'
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-17-2012, 1:21 PM Reply   
Call Billy the Exterminator!! or just pee on them ^^^
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-17-2012, 1:29 PM Reply   
Don't be a wuss. Tennis racket!
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-17-2012, 2:14 PM Reply   
If you run out of wasp killer, you need to bust out the oven cleaner. It puts a hurting on them wasps, but you need make sure you don't get it on your skin cause it'll burn you and leave a scar.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       04-18-2012, 8:34 AM Reply   
Man you thought your trailer had it bad, LOL
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=20034458&nid...cid=featured-5
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-18-2012, 8:36 AM Reply   
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-18-2012, 9:14 AM Reply   
^^^ hahha nice!! Forget the pics have somebody film you spraying them and post that up on here so we can all see you squeel like a chick and try to slap them with your purse!

jk, well sorta a video would be funny. anyway, no the spray won't hurt the wires. just spray really good, watch them fall and die, take out the nest, then grab the hose and spray it down so the chemicals don't sit on there for a long period of time and you'll be fine.