Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-04-2009, 6:16 AM Reply   
I picked up a new to me 1998 Sanger V210 and it is making its way from California today. The boat is in very good condition the only thing I could find wrong are the corner carpet/ seats are torn and the tower is in the wrong location But that is an easy fix IMO i got a really good deal on it.
Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-04-2009, 6:17 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-04-2009, 6:28 AM Reply   
Nice, I had mine shipped to Minnesota from So Cal. Are you planning on using the same tower? Did you see the boat in person yourself or what. Good looking boat.
Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-04-2009, 6:58 AM Reply   
Yes I am going to use the same tower. I flew out there on Friday and checked it out and got the title and bill of sale then. I am glad I did.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-04-2009, 7:05 AM Reply   
Great find Jason, congratulations you're going to love it.

Oh, and get that tower moved forward fast!
Old     (fasfeat)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-04-2009, 11:18 AM Reply   
Chris, I'm curious, why move the tower. We built a number of these this way and the customers always like it. I never have had someone let me know what is bad about this location. Is it looks or does it have a function problem. The feed back I have received has some good feature. Visibility is better, Bimini can be bigger, headroom is better, climbing in and out of the boat over the engine has grab capibilities. easier to get at board racks. Boards don't drip on driver or observer. Let me know what your thoughts are?
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-04-2009, 11:24 AM Reply   
This is exactly the reason why Sanger is so awesome! They have their rep, Scott Pellaton, asking questions from the users and are taking part in an online forum. Maybe the other manufacturers do this and I just don't ever see it.

Sanger - THE LAST FAMILY OWNED WAKEBOAT MANUFACTURER!
Old     (rob_pitchford)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-04-2009, 11:26 AM Reply   
You have some good points Scott. IMO there are two reasons 1) look - it just looks wrong. We are use to seeing towers in a certain place and when it is too far back it just doesnt look right. 2) I think there is some function with having the tower in the same vertical position as the ski pylon. The pylon is there for a reason - the boat can best handle the skier cut and not get pulled around. When you move this point back further such as with the current tower set up the boat can get pulled around more. I remember looking at some pictures from from the 13th floor tower site and they also mount the towers very far back. Not my cup of tea... http://www.13thfloortowers.com/photogallery.asp
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-04-2009, 11:26 AM Reply   
The biggest functional issue is you must ride a shorter rope because the tow point is further back. This doesn't seem like a big deal but 5ft change in rope length makes a big difference to how you can approach the wake. Secondary issue is it limits access when the boat is on the trailer. Also looks strange.
Old     (kbob)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-04-2009, 11:27 AM Reply   
Just a question on the tower, but would having the tower in the back cause more "back end sliding" when someone cuts really hard?
Old     (rob_pitchford)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-04-2009, 11:29 AM Reply   
I would say yes Keller - mentioned above. Scott what are your thoughts on this?
Old     (fasfeat)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-04-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
Our boats have 16 degree v bottoms and don't have a tendency to get pulled around much. The side to side pull is minimized in this area but I always wonder if we could build something better looking in this area and sell it?
Old     (kbob)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-04-2009, 11:42 AM Reply   
^^Oh yeah...guess I missed that. When I was on the market looking for a boat, I came across a ski nautique with a custom tower that was mounted in the back like that. My first reaction was that it looked goofy, but now that I think about it, it would be nice for not blasting out everyone in the boat with the tower speakers...and it doubles as a big spoiler

(Message edited by kbob on November 04, 2009)
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-04-2009, 11:44 AM Reply   
It is going to be really hard to get something that far back and still look good. There is always the option of doing something similar to the illusion tower to have better visibility and you may be able to move it far enough back so the wet boards don't drip on the driver/observer.

Jason, I saw that boat on craigslist. If I remember right I bet you got a smoking deal on that boat.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-04-2009, 11:50 AM Reply   
IMO it's just going against the grain. Sure, there are several good reasons that location vs over the helm, but we just used to wakeboats with towers over the console.
Old     (fasfeat)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-04-2009, 11:57 AM Reply   
I remember when a tower looked bad on a boat in the early 90's. Now it's a must! sometimes it just takes somebody going against the grain to make change for the better.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-04-2009, 12:10 PM Reply   
Scott, the same can be said about the illusion. I hated that and it looked so weird when it came out and now it is one of my favorite looking towers.
Old     (kbob)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-04-2009, 12:14 PM Reply   
I wonder if it would take longer to plane having the tower in the back...but I guess you could always put more weight in the front to compensate.
Old     (fasfeat)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-04-2009, 12:17 PM Reply   
If you think about it, it should have less effect on the bow rise of a boat.
Old     (kbob)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-04-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
Well...regardless in the end, a boat is a boat, Congrats Jason on your new toy! Is it warm enough there to get a few runs in before you winterize?
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-04-2009, 12:32 PM Reply   
I want a tower that has the functionality of a T-Top tower, like the CSX, but have four legs mounted on the gunnels, but still have the ability to collapse the tower so I can get it in my Garage. In Arizona it gets pretty darn hot and having a huge bimini would be a major plus.

If this Tower could collapse I would have it on my boat:

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-04-2009, 12:33 PM Reply   
Oh ya, congrats on the boat! Sangers are awesome and the V210 makes a GREAT wake!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-04-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
Scott, I agree. Although, I remember an early 90's V-drive nautique that was reasonably priced and had a rear mounted tower. Sat on the market forever. In fact, I think the guy traded it for something else.

Kinda like a wakeboard pants. Sounds great for so many reasons, but not too many people will wear them.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-04-2009, 12:47 PM Reply   
Jason, turn those rear mounts into cupholders...
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-04-2009, 12:54 PM Reply   
I would just go cheap and buy some gator grip to cover the old mounting holes.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-04-2009, 1:10 PM Reply   
Sorry Scott, had to go to work, so couldn't respond right away. I guess some already answered what I was thinking, it just looks wrong! Also, what about getting in an out of the boat at a dock? Seems like the tower would be right in you're way.

You're right though, if every boat had started out putting them back there, that would be the accepted norm, and someone with one mounted forward would look like the odd ball.
(I still think the illusion tower looks like it is on backwards.)

Anyway, I do agree having a mfg rep speak right up on these threads, is just one more reason to feel the Sanger love!

(Message edited by rio_sanger on November 04, 2009)
Old     (fasfeat)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-04-2009, 2:17 PM Reply   
Jason, Sorry I haven't mentioned it before, Welcome to our family, Enjoy!
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-04-2009, 3:14 PM Reply   
Congrats on the boat jason. Your going to love the wake.

As far as the tower goes I agree that it just looks bad/wrong.

Scott P,

Any plans of giving the V210 more freeboard ? It's such a great boat and I love mine but it would be so much better with more freeboard.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-04-2009, 3:41 PM Reply   
Noooooooo Scott don't change the V-210 !!!

It is is the sexiest boat on the water, it's low freeboard is what makes it what it is!! There are plenty of boats to choose from that feel like you're sitting in a bathtub!!

Walt, go buy a v215 if you want
more freeboard
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-04-2009, 3:47 PM Reply   
IMO it would make sense to shorten the V215 up to 20ft to meet some private lakes restrictions.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-04-2009, 3:48 PM Reply   
I agree with Chris and Darren. A 20' 92-95" beam Sanger V200 would be awesome.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-04-2009, 3:52 PM Reply   
Chris,
I like the 215 too ! I'd just like to run a little more weight in the V210.
Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-04-2009, 4:04 PM Reply   
Thanks Everyone. I already ordered 2k worth of sacs from ebay, a new prop and I just bought 325 lbs worth of 6" painted steel bars from the scrap yard to put in the front.

Brett, Yes it was the one on Craigslist it was a horrible picture with a caption - Sanger boat, AM/FM stereo, swim deck
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-05-2009, 12:20 AM Reply   
Congrats!

Scott P is right about the 210 not getting pulled around on the water. Point the boat and it goes there...even with a huge rider loading the rope up. Other boats I have driven...you are always getting pulled around by the rider...even much larger boats. Rider goes left...you have to turn the boat right. Makes driving a lot real pain.

You will love the wake. Very much a steep up pop type wake...but long landing zone. It starts rampy...but gets very steep at the top. The only thing is you need a lot of weight up front. Basically...as much as you feel you can run safely. Put the first 700# all up front (400# ski locker and another 300# in pop bags under the front seats. Once there...you can distribute any additional weight evenly about the center of the boat.

The magic numbers on my boat....
2000# weight + crew
72' rope
22.7-23 mph

A few riders have gone out to 80' at 24-24.5 with 2300#+...but they had a look of fear on their faces. Wake was rock hard and vertical back there. Huge difference between 75' at 23'...and 80' at 24.

For learning new tricks...I like to go 'mini-wake'. Say 55'-58' rope, 1500#, 21.5 mph. SUPER fun and less scary for learning rolls and BS spins....

Enjoy!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-05-2009, 9:40 AM Reply   
Jason, congrats on the ride! It's going to be a long winter..

BTW Sanger will be my next boat. Sexy and well-built and just for so many reasons.
Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-08-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
Took it out Yesterday and WOW what a huge difference coming from a 86' supra saltare to a v-210. It is like leaving a 3/4 ton truck and getting into a corvette. I rode without ballast and the wake was actually very nice without it. I filled one sack in the ski locker and another in the walkway and the wake size jumped up a lot. Then we filled one back locker and my friends were able to surf. There are a few minor things I need to fix on the boat but overall I am very pleased.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-08-2009, 8:55 PM Reply   
Have to agree with Chris. The low freeboard keeps the 210 tied nicely to Sanger's storied racing history. Low is sexy. It just looks fast sitting there. Jason, nice buy. Welcome to the family. I'd move the tower too, but in this case it would be form over function, and I usualy preach the opposite, function over form but that just looks plain wrong IMHO.