Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (rippenricky)      Join Date: Apr 2017       06-01-2017, 7:05 PM Reply   
Hello, everyone, I was wondering if you people have advice for me. I am trying to land a double backflip off the kicker but my mind in stopping from even attempting the trick. I know I can do it, my mind just won't let me. I am hitting a mental barrier. If you have any advice on how to just throw it and not be scared that would be great. My name is Ricky and I am 17.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       06-01-2017, 7:19 PM Reply   
Great name. Can you do them on a trampoline? If not, go get some coaching. It will save you time and crashes.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-01-2017, 10:51 PM Reply   
...or you can just try to pay a surgeon to cut your ACL ahead of time and do away with the suspense. JK Good luck...
Old     (Spotless)      Join Date: May 2016       06-02-2017, 5:39 AM Reply   
As an old fart, I'm stoked to see you post this. We all want to watch too. If you are riding good enough to try this, PLEASE get you a coach. Please post attempts. BUT to answer your question, put your #1 money trick that you can stick 100% of time, right before your attempt. It clears the mind.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-02-2017, 7:02 AM Reply   
If you're still calling it a backflip, then you probably aren't ready.
Old     (rippenricky)      Join Date: Apr 2017       06-02-2017, 8:26 AM Reply   
a double tantrum ... I am sorry
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-02-2017, 8:29 AM Reply   
OK, you're ready. Hope you are grabbing the board. Because that will help you increase the speed of your rotation.

If we knew how to convince ourselves to not be afraid to try a new trick, then we would all be either pros or convalescing from multiple injuries.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-02-2017, 8:38 AM Reply   
landed a single? whats your best "trick"?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-02-2017, 9:37 AM Reply   
OP why shop for boards? If you can almost do doubles aren't you sponsored?

Also has anyone done a double tantrum off a kicker? I thought they were all doing double back roll to revert
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-02-2017, 9:51 AM Reply   
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-02-2017, 10:12 AM Reply   
Yeah I don't think I have seen a double tantrum off kicker.

Anyways, mental blocks-

Overcoming this is one of the most liberating things in riding and the better you can get at doing this the better rider you will become. I can say that its not easy and everyone has different ways of doing it. For me I feel like I make the decision to try something before I even get to the water. Like if I'm thinking about something and start riding without deciding "this is what im going to do" then it probably wont happen. I need time to think about the risk and decide what it is I desire to accomplish. Sometimes I back out of stuff because it's not worth it. Other times the rewards outweigh the risk.

This weekend I was at The Levee and I have had my mind on a bs lipslide on the deck lander. If you aren't familiar with the setup its basically at flat rail that drops off and you go about 10 feet before you land on a wooden deck that goes into the water. The risk: clipping the rail on the way up because its a little bit of an ollie. The worst that would happen is you'd get bucked off the rail then land on your back or head on a wooden deck moving pretty fast. I love bs lipslides though so I felt ready to do the trick. The week before I had bs boardslided it with getting the back lip in mind. Anyways this particular day I had already decided I was going to do it in the car. I warmed up and didn't think much about it and went for it. Got it first try then cleaned it up later. I have something else in mind to add to that bs lip to try next. Might be a few rips before I send it but its incubating in my mind right now

The point is take calculated risk. If you think you are ready go for it. If you can't make yourself do it maybe your mind is trying to tell you something. If your goal is to become the best rider possible you should think about injury. If your goal is to be a stunt man then send it without thinking. A lot of times what the pros do seems crazy but for them its just the latest trick in a slow evolution of their riding and its just a small step. But every now and then you really have to step out of your comfort zone to get that fruit. Doubles I think are a bit like this. No one can make that decision for you. If you think you can do it then I say send it!!!!!
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-04-2017, 6:12 AM Reply   
Hey dude,

sometimes you just have to send it....

have someone film it.

but honestly getting a double checked off your trick list doesn't involve much skill, just kind of involves hucking and tucking.

I got my girlfriend to land a double half cab roll 2 years ago, it took her alot of trying, but she just wasnt strong enough to hold the grab. After so many tries I had her just huck one and forget the grab, and maybe a try or two later she rode away.

My friend Mitch Bergsma came to the cable for the first time in 6 years a couple weeks ago. I got him to do his first halfcab roll on the cable, then to grab mute on it, and after a few hours of getting comfortable with a solid mute cab roll he decided to try some doubles. After about 6 tries he rode away from one.

I have tried quite a few double tantrums, on the boat and cable. Never landed one successfully, the crashes are not insanely brutal. The times I land on my feet I accidentally go to blind. But I have belly flopped and head dove a few times, pretty much had every fail you can have on it and ended up okay. (knock on wood)

but yeah send it, commit, don't second guess yourself
Old     (Droopington)      Join Date: Jul 2015       06-06-2017, 6:37 PM Reply   
Any update on your attempt???

So I have tried double tantrum behind the boat and as everyone else says, it is 1000% commitment and hucking. The biggest thing is committing especially to the 2nd flip. I came untucked on one of maybe 5 attempts as I was trying off the double up, and it kinda turned into a disaster as I put my knee to my eye as I did 1.5.. I wasn't knocked out but definitely had three butterfly stitches above my eye.

So the lesson here is 1) if you can go grabbed 2) once you start the trick fully commit as doubles are not something you can pull out of safely 3) Wear a vest 4) Through some huge singles first and gauge it out and 5) Anything is possible!

Good luck.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-07-2017, 1:38 PM Reply   
As you're cutting in just scream out loud "I'm Rick James BITCH"

Not throwing the new trick is like not asking the girl out and letting her get away. Better to have tried and got schooled than have it haunting you in your head.

Throw it. Get the first one out of the way.