Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sandaddiction)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-11-2017, 1:39 PM Reply   
I am currently riding a Wakesetter 23 LSV. I surf 90% of the time and wakeboard the rest. I am looking for something that has a great surf wave and fairly easy to "setup".

Please share your thoughts on the following:

MB B23
Malibu MXZ 24
Mastercraft X23
Tige Z3 or RX2

Pros & Cons would be great.

Thanks,
Neil
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-11-2017, 2:55 PM Reply   
What are features of the 23 LSV are you trying to upgrade?
Old     (sandaddiction)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-11-2017, 5:55 PM Reply   
Looking for a little better surf wave and something with more interior space (people and storage).
Old     (SoulSurfer)      Join Date: Oct 2016       06-11-2017, 7:27 PM Reply   
What year is your LSV? Seems like if you want more space and more storage, you need to be looking at a bigger boat, otherwise you're really just talking about minor incrmental changes. If that's the goal, I'd look only at 24-25 footers.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       06-11-2017, 9:05 PM Reply   
Put GSA on your LSV-- the surf wave will be a top 10% wave. Those hulls shine with GSA along with the wedge.

Unless you're wanting to spend some major cashola.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-12-2017, 5:02 AM Reply   
My bro went from an 09 LSv to a 2016 Z3 to a 2017 G23

I think your splitting hairs on 23 footers. Based on what you mentioned, you want a G
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-12-2017, 6:18 AM Reply   
Love my MC X23. The boat is dialed in from the factory and requires no additional weight. The surf wave is great on boat sides and the boat puts out a nice wakeboard wake.

I don't think you can go wrong in todays market with all the surf boats that are offered. It gets down to preference and the dealer.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-12-2017, 6:29 AM Reply   
Hands down, the 24 MXZ (as long as it's a 2017)
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       06-12-2017, 7:27 AM Reply   
Of the boats that you mentioned, the 24 MXZ will definitely have the best performance and features (pro level wake and surf, plus things like steering wheel controls and backup cam). Build quality will definitely be better on just about everything else though. X23 has a great surf wave and is good enough for most wakeboarders too. If you want the best of everything, buy a Supra
Old     (sandaddiction)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-12-2017, 7:30 AM Reply   
Great information. Thanks guys. Sands like a split between the X23 and MXZ 24...probably now comes down to dealer.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-12-2017, 7:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime41 View Post
Of the boats that you mentioned, the 24 MXZ will definitely have the best performance and features (pro level wake and surf, plus things like steering wheel controls and backup cam). Build quality will definitely be better on just about everything else though. X23 has a great surf wave and is good enough for most wakeboarders too. If you want the best of everything, buy a Supra
absolute non-sense statement
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       06-12-2017, 8:23 AM Reply   
Or could slap a $4000 set of GSA tabs on your old boat and have a top level surf wave and save your money. But that just isn't sexy.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-12-2017, 12:16 PM Reply   
I would seriously consider the 25LSV.
Old     (dusty2221)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-12-2017, 6:27 PM Reply   
Not on your list but I have a 2015 SE450 for sale.
Old     (sandaddiction)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-12-2017, 7:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
I would seriously consider the 25LSV.

Ideally I would want a walk-though..only thing holding me back from a 25 LSV.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-12-2017, 7:36 PM Reply   
I've got a 2013 MB b52 and the wave is amazing. But we slam it with 5400 pounds and have GSA . Con; engine compartment is loud AF.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-13-2017, 6:14 AM Reply   
You'll want to see the 2018 23LSV before making this move.
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       06-13-2017, 6:28 AM Reply   
Them joneses are fast breh!
Old     (hunter991)      Join Date: Jul 2016       06-13-2017, 6:42 AM Reply   
X23 would be a great choice.
Old     (BLucas86)      Join Date: Apr 2016       06-13-2017, 7:54 AM Reply   
OP,

If surfing is a priority and you're realistically surfing 90% of the time, the Tige RZX2 or Z3 wouldn't let you down. You could even squeeze an RZX3 onto that list too if X23 and MZX is within your budget.

Most of the boats you listed will have a good looking wave, as all the big names know that they have to produce to compete, but the power and shape of the wave behind the Tige is what really differentiates it. The wife and I had a 2015 Z3 w/ AVX (listed) and loved that wave, but the new Tige's w/ Taps 3 are just too simple to set up and drive great while loaded, so we are now in a 2017 RZX3 and we absolutely love it. The wave, the interior, the factory Rev series Wet Sounds package, the storage, E2 tower, etc. The total package is solid. The WakeWorld die hards aren't too keen on Tige', but most of them haven't been in one in 15 years. Go see for yourself.

Test drive them all AND ride behind them and buy what fits your family's needs and budget. Dealer support is also a HUGE consideration to throw into this equation. Good luck in your search and keep us posted. Feel free to PM me if you have an Q's regarding the Tige line up.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       06-13-2017, 9:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripr View Post
You'll want to see the 2018 23LSV before making this move.

If it has become a deep V, then Surfgate is a contender. If the hull stays flat, then the wave shape will still be a "hill." Works good, but not a sexy shape.
Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       06-13-2017, 5:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
If it has become a deep V, then Surfgate is a contender. If the hull stays flat, then the wave shape will still be a "hill." Works good, but not a sexy shape.

https://instagram.com/p/BVPsClhFITM/
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       06-13-2017, 6:26 PM Reply   
Not sure what I am looking at here other than a great stab at a 360 by a good surfing kid?
Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       06-13-2017, 7:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
Not sure what I am looking at here other than a great stab at a 360 by a good surfing kid?

23 LSV surf wake....
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       06-13-2017, 7:57 PM Reply   
I have ridden one -- 2017 with Plug and Play. Very familiar with it. Works really good, big gentle slope, no real crisp lip. That's the Surfgate shape on Malibu's flatter deadrise hull.

However, if you put a "goose slapper" (DIY Surfgate system) on a deep V hull, you get a steeper wave with a lip. MB guys do it all the time. It's just how the different hull shapes release water differently.

What I am saying is, surfgate boats are fine, you just won't get a crisp defined lip off of them if the hull shape remains flatter. You will get the big "hill" shape.
Old     (sambo13)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-15-2017, 12:32 PM Reply   
24 MXZ. Demo it. Surf it. Love it. Buy it.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-15-2017, 1:45 PM Reply   
I would demo the Supra SA and SE, both have outstanding surf wakes, we Surf the SE 550, have 50 hours on it so far, nothing but surfing. Demo each in your list with someone that knows how to weight them well. I like to find people that own, and go out with them.

Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       06-15-2017, 2:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo13 View Post
24 MXZ. Demo it. Surf it. Love it. Buy it.

Make sure it's a 17, and rob a bank first. LOL just kidding. Just be rich.
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       06-16-2017, 1:17 PM Reply   
If surfing is your game you should look at Centurion. They pretty much invented the modern surf boat and they are still inovators. Their ramfill system and CATS tracking system are examples. Centurion is now owned by CorrectCraft aka Nautique so quality is better than in the past.

https://centurionboats.com/
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       06-17-2017, 3:49 AM Reply   
As long as we talk of 2017. I would definitely change my list and test drive :
- Supra SG
- tige RZX3
- centurion Ri237

Like you said you said you are surfing almost all the time and their are the top 3 surfing machine for 2017.
G23 would be on this list too but a little too much pricy for my opinion. Really great boat but you pay a little bit more to have pretty the same as the other so..

I'm talking for 2017 because if you look around 2016 my list would be completely different too.
Centurion and Supra REALLY made lots of improvement this year ( mostly because competition was kind of knocking them)
For the surf wave I would go for the centurion in 2017.. As MLO said centurion is now a nautique brand so no scare to have on quality and reability. Like older centurion models.

Supra in 2016 2017 really improve themself too. Makes them one of the most selling brand.
The surf system is really simply and works pretty damn well for a simple touch and go button.

Personally à own a 2016 tige. Because I prefer having lots of settting for my surf wave. But everyone is different.
You have to make compromise sometimes! To have the best wave on the market you have to work a little bit and dial it.
Taps3 system makes it pretty simple but still need some adjustement depending on the wind and people in the boat.
It's not a push button and surf like Mastercraft, Malibu and Supra. They all have their pos and cons.

Push button and go is really simple, takes 2 sec and your out surfing but you deal with the wave you get and move people places when the wave is not ok.
Dialing wave like tige Have plenty setting to achieve the perfect wave, but it takes a little bit more time. Most of the time it's just the first ride of the season. You try it and dial it as you like and save the setting on the computer And your good. You have to play with your taps a little bit when the wind is blowing crazy or you have 5 more people in the boat as your original settings but it's really easy with the surf remote in your hand. It stay really simple too.

Now for your list. As I said it's MY personal opinion.
I will say why I wouldn't get these ones.
Tigé Z3 is really a matter of choice. Z3 for me is and still are the prime surfing machine on the market. But I prefer the RZX3 look. And the wave is 98% similar.
And for all tige model built quality is irreproachable.

MB Sport really improved themself since 2016 too. But they are a little lower budget than the rest of your list so.. I would consider them over Moomba and axis but not compare to what we have here.

Malibu.. great boat too. Lost some fans over years because they always cut somewhere to have more profit..
i remember when wakesetter was the best boat by far like in 2012 2013 when surfgate was the new thing. Now it's been almost 5years so you gonna have the same system then your present boat.
Built quality is good but you can have better, surf system is good but you can have better, I think in 2017 the plug and play system don't even come with the ballast bags you need to buy them separately and plug them with the plug and play (another Malibu marketing to make more money over their costumer).

Mastercraft. Really good quality boat. But for my opinion you pay for the interior and everything beside the surf system. They are really great boats but you can have a better wave with others.

Finally ! It's all a matter of preference. All these boats are made for surfing so you probably never gonna make a bad choice in all these models. It's just your feeling, take time to test drive your prefered ones and go with your feeling.
They all have their pos and cons.
Some are more head turning, more agressive style, more sensitive, have better sound system, better surf system, etc. It's all a matter of preferences.
Good luck!

Last edited by Mike88; 06-17-2017 at 3:52 AM. Reason: Tapping
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       06-17-2017, 10:06 AM Reply   
That was quite the post!
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       06-17-2017, 10:17 AM Reply   
"For all Tige model built quality is irreproachable"

I think I know what you mean with this sentence, and our experience with a 2016 RZX is the opposite. This boat has had little bugs left and right. Tons of them with touchscreen issues, actuator issues, surf module issues, ballast bag issues. They look high quality, but have a good deal of bugs.

"z3 prime surfing machine"

Z3 is a good surfing machine, "prime" is a stretch. RZX wave is quite a bit better than Z3 in dialed mode.

And Centurion quality has been good for the last few years. The FS44 models are sweet boats. For sure.

MB is as high quality as any boat mentioned, it's just not a mainstream brand and doesn't have all the fancy toys. Stay tuned for their 2018. I think a big leap is coming.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       06-17-2017, 10:18 AM Reply   
Boat opinions are like bungholes--everyone has one, and thinks theirs doesn't stink. LOL
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-17-2017, 11:23 AM Reply   
Mine smells like roses
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       06-17-2017, 12:42 PM Reply   
Hahaha. That's exactly why I said it's all matter of preferences.
We all have our own opinion of the perfect boat. So they are all different. That's why you have to make the choice by yourself and with your feeling when you test drive it.
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       06-17-2017, 6:19 PM Reply   
If surfing is a big priority, Centurion and the new Ri series has an absolutely ridiculous surf wave. Thing is a BEAST.
Old     (Chugh2surf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       06-17-2017, 7:18 PM Reply   
The centurion ri237 or 257 would be my choice. The surf wave is insane. I rode behind a stock ri237 last year and the wave was super long and had the most push of all the waves I have been on and that's including a g23 and z3. Even though I really like tige, if I was getting a new surfboat and could afford it, it would be a centurion ri237. Then second and third would be a toss up between tige rzx3 and Supra SA.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       06-17-2017, 7:48 PM Reply   
I talked to a decent authority who said the FS44 comes very close to the Ri237. The new one is the sexier boat no question. The old one, if it can hit 90% of as good of a wave, is a great deal $$ wise.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       06-17-2017, 7:48 PM Reply   
257 is unattainable. Man boats are high priced. INSANE.
Old     (Chugh2surf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       06-17-2017, 8:50 PM Reply   
I would look at a very slightly used boat instead of ordering a brand new one because you can save a ton buying a basically new boat with a big discount and then they don't lose as much value.
Old     (Chugh2surf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       06-17-2017, 8:57 PM Reply   
Look at 2016 because you can get a basically new boat for a lot less money than brand new. Look on boat trader a 2016 centurion and you can find some ri237 for less than an fs44. But either one would be great.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       06-18-2017, 12:04 PM Reply   
Good advice!