Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-27-2016, 7:39 AM Reply   
I use my brothers lake house only a hand full of times a year. So I can't justify paying 400 buck for whips. So I heard of people using 2" PVC pipes to do the same thing as whips. Then I found this guy that used a smaller PVC pipe with a 3/4" fiberglass rode inserted into the center of the PVC with a cast iron flag pole holder. This seems like it would be the strongest. I just want to here if anybody else has done anything similar?
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-27-2016, 8:27 AM Reply   
Not sure what your situation is, but if my brother was letting me use his lake house for free, I'd be spending the $400 and leaving them there for my brother to use as well.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-27-2016, 10:26 AM Reply   
I have seen some custom whips when passing by docks on the Willamette. My question is... How much is a gel repair job and is it worth saving the $400? Doesn't seem like a lot of money for a product you are going to use a couple times a season for the next 4 years.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-27-2016, 11:07 AM Reply   
He already uses some for his pontoon on the other side of his dock but has no need for them when I'm not their which is most of the summer. So they would just be in the way and if their in his way, he is the type of person to make a big deal out of it. Maybe you don't have that type of older brother but I do. One day I will have my own lake house, but until then I'll have to deal with it.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-27-2016, 12:30 PM Reply   
There are products out there that are effectively 'stand-offs' for your boat. They are two pipes with gimbals on both ends that hold the boat out while your boat is held in place with lines and spring lines.
I am of Markj's point of view. Leaving a great useful gift, which is also to your benefit is a thoughtful thank you.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-27-2016, 8:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
He already uses some for his pontoon on the other side of his dock but has no need for them when I'm not their which is most of the summer. So they would just be in the way and if their in his way, he is the type of person to make a big deal out of it. Maybe you don't have that type of older brother but I do. One day I will have my own lake house, but until then I'll have to deal with it.
Is there a type of whip where you can mount a flush-mount base and then unplug the whips when not in use so as to not bother your brother? if so, add up the cost of rental fees you would have to pay if you were renting his place. Also consider the cost of repairing a gel coat that's been wasted by dock rash. $400 sounds like cheap insurance, but maybe I don't have all the details. Sorry if I sound preachy.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-28-2016, 1:33 PM Reply   
Can you install a mooring buoy and bungie your boat between the bouy and the dock?

dock<->bungee<->boat<->bungee->bouy.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-29-2016, 6:20 AM Reply   
Right now I always ask the neighbor's If I can tie a line to their dock to hold mine off my brothers dock using some boat buddy lines. And the sweet old lady has no problem with it but I fell bad always tie off to her dock. I just know the one time a year she uses her boat will be the time my line is in her way and I'm not right there to help her get it out of the way. I could just buy some Hippy hops to throw over the railing to help me sleep better at night and not worry as much. I'll just be patient and see if any used mooring whip pop up on craigslist.
Old     (blackstang)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-29-2016, 7:32 AM Reply   
I just use a Anchor Buddy tied off the middle of my boat on the opposite side of the dock.. I leave my boat moored this way from May till end of Sept. I do replace the Anchor Buddy line every year.