Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (JCleary)      Join Date: Dec 2016       06-05-2017, 9:18 AM Reply   
So I finally got a chance to put the boat in the water. Had 3.5 hours when I picked it up a few weeks ago. Now it has 14. Just curious if anyone has any suggestions as to how to rectify these issues. I'm not sure the local dealer is willing to help, as I didn't purchase the boat from him... That's what I've been told by others anyway.

Here is the list of issues I discovered:

- Minimum depth warning goes off all the time, even after I reset it to 2 feet. No matter where I am on the lake, could be 50 feet deep and I get the warning. Other times it's 999 feet.

- Audio system, sometimes it works, sometimes not. When it does work, it sounds very tinny and the sub does almost nothing. Other times there's next-level feedback through all the speakers regardless of source selection. For about 20 minutes Saturday the thing sounded really good, all speakers worked and the sub was pounding. Then it stopped, feedback came back and wouldn't go away so I had to unplug the ground wires from the amps. The tweeters still buzz but it's tolerable. Having no stereo sucks...

- When the bags fill, they push the engine compartment panels in towards the engine. The panels won't stay in the channels at the bottom of the compartment. It ended up denting the air cleaner. The carpet is delaminating from the panels.

- The Swell Surf system is wired BACKWARDS. It took me a while to figure out why the boat was acting weird and not making a good wave. Turns out when the display says the port tab is down, it's the starboard side that's down and vice-versa.

- At certain speeds the Smart Plate just cycles up and down constantly.

- There's a nice stress crack on the bow of the boat in the pickle fork area.

So, am I at the mercy of a dealer or are these things easy to diagnose and fix? Anyone have any similar issues? I'm pretty pissed at myself right now for buying this and not a G23...

At least the boat looks good. And the motor kept running. It's got that going for it.
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-05-2017, 9:37 AM Reply   
The panels you can fix with the stiffeners that wakemakers sells. It happens to all the boats with the big bags. They are $30 a set and you need two.
As for the stereo, there has to be a wiring issue somewhere that should not be too hard to fix.

But I would definitely take it back to the dealer and have them sort out all the other issues. That's not acceptable for a new boat.
Old     (JCleary)      Join Date: Dec 2016       06-05-2017, 9:38 AM Reply   

I uploaded a video showing the display but photobucket is taking forever... I'll try to repost later.

Last edited by JCleary; 06-05-2017 at 9:43 AM.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-05-2017, 9:38 AM Reply   
Is this a new boat with warranty? Take it to the dealer you bought it from.

These are all things that commonly happen on hand built boats. This is the reason so many on here will tell you the dealer is more important than the brand.

Unless you are an electrical engineer or have supra's software your gonna have a tough time troubleshooting most of that.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-05-2017, 9:53 AM Reply   
I am not sure if you have gotten any help yet, I hope you get all of that worked out with your dealer. You can email me at support - at - wake9 - dot - com if you are still struggling, since you are in NorCal.

I have seen strangeness with those touch screens before, that can cause weird problems like the plate going up and down. First try cleaning it good with some windex. I know that sounds funny, but sometimes stuff like sunscreen can get on there and cause issues. It may not be the problem, but its such a simple fix, its worth a try.

Hope you get that sorted.
Old     (JCleary)      Join Date: Dec 2016       06-05-2017, 10:46 AM Reply   
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-05-2017, 10:55 AM Reply   
all are pretty easy fixes but should be done by dealer.
Old     (JCleary)      Join Date: Dec 2016       06-05-2017, 11:14 AM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure what's up with Photobucket, but it's not letting me post the video.

Wheels are in motion to get scheduled at a dealer. I'm not sure how it happened but Brian w/ Supra called me and said he'd take care of it. Talk about excellent customer service! I never expected a call, I figured this would be an uphill battle. I'm starting to feel better about the purchase already...
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-05-2017, 11:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCleary View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure what's up with Photobucket, but it's not letting me post the video.

Wheels are in motion to get scheduled at a dealer. I'm not sure how it happened but Brian w/ Supra called me and said he'd take care of it. Talk about excellent customer service! I never expected a call, I figured this would be an uphill battle. I'm starting to feel better about the purchase already...
Maybe hes a WW member ? Glad to hear its getting straightened out hopefully wont take more then a couple days .
Old     (Shane10p)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-05-2017, 12:08 PM Reply   
Congrats on the SE !! They are awesome boats I'm on my third SE and have all been trouble free. Sorry to hear you are having a couple issues but they all sound very easy to get handled by your local dealer. Brian and Supra are both awesome to work with they will get you taken care of and back on the water soon !
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       06-05-2017, 12:32 PM Reply   
I've had the electrical gremlins a few times in our SE. Not a big deal usually. Actually have them at the moment and need to get it to my dealer. Pretty sure this time was because someone switched the batteries to "1&2"
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       06-05-2017, 2:08 PM Reply   
At what point did going computerized on a boat sound like a good idea?
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-05-2017, 8:31 PM Reply   
Doesn't sound like a good idea to me but honestly that boat looks killer.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       06-05-2017, 9:21 PM Reply   
Enjoy the G
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       06-06-2017, 6:51 AM Reply   
Love that SE! Everything will get taken care of, Supra is a wonderful product and even better team backing it. I would suggest to establish a relationship with the local dealer, you will want to utilize them when it comes to this stuff and service. In UT 2 of the ROUSH editions sold so darn fast and I can see why. Congrats on the new boat...
Old     (JCleary)      Join Date: Dec 2016       06-10-2017, 10:47 PM Reply   
I think the video works now. Looks reversed to me, comparing the display to which trim tab is down.

http://vid208.photobucket.com/albums...E2F9509E85.mp4

Last edited by JCleary; 06-10-2017 at 10:49 PM. Reason: edit video link
Old     (JCleary)      Join Date: Dec 2016       06-10-2017, 10:52 PM Reply   
Looks like the local dealer is gonna take a look at it sometime in July. I guess that's not too bad, as I didn't buy the boat from him....

I look forward to having a properly functioning boat with a stereo lol.
Old     (BrettLee3232)      Join Date: Feb 2015       06-11-2017, 10:58 PM Reply   
Did you call Robby at AWS, I know that boat was sitting at their shop for awhile but I would be pissed buying that thing and having that many issues. Especially being so far away. Did you water test with them before you left?

Glad they are taking care of it. Sucks when stuff happens like that.
Old     (Khyber)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-12-2017, 9:19 AM Reply   
Piece of advice - don't ever post a picture with a boat like that with a tube behind it on a site like WakeWorld. Bad karma
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-12-2017, 10:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyber View Post
Piece of advice - don't ever post a picture with a boat like that with a tube behind it on a site like WakeWorld. Bad karma
was wondering if we're so far from our roots that it wouldn't even be mentioned. Thanks Khyber for keeping it real
Old     (JCleary)      Join Date: Dec 2016       06-12-2017, 11:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyber View Post

LOL well we have kids in our group too small to surf, and they love the tube. What can I say?

I'm a noob. What's the bad karma? Cause I'm hauling a tube and not surfing?
Old     (JCleary)      Join Date: Dec 2016       06-12-2017, 11:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettLee3232 View Post
Did you call Robby at AWS, I know that boat was sitting at their shop for awhile but I would be pissed buying that thing and having that many issues. Especially being so far away. Did you water test with them before you left?

Glad they are taking care of it. Sucks when stuff happens like that.
Yeah, we did a water test, for like an hour. Long enough to fill the bilge with water from a popped bag fitting and long enough to discover it had a bad battery (and that's what they blamed the feedback on). Anyway, they told me to bring the boat back and they'd fix it. So I hauled it back, they slapped in a battery and I left.

I'm 750 miles from AWS. Not likely I'm taking it back to them for anything...
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-12-2017, 11:38 AM Reply   
well, that's why you don't buy a brand new boat from a dealer that is 750 miles away.
Old     (JCleary)      Join Date: Dec 2016       06-12-2017, 12:06 PM Reply   
Not much choice when you want one of 25 built and local guys had none...
Old     (JCleary)      Join Date: Dec 2016       08-11-2017, 8:15 AM Reply   
Brian at Skier's Choice hooked me up with Brent at Boat Country. They took in my boat last month and went to work. They verified all my complaints and executed repairs.

The selling dealer did not perform a required retrofit prior to delivering the boat. Evidently some 2016 boats were shipped with an incorrect wire harness installed, resulting in the screen and computer module to fight for a ground. A new harness was to be installed prior to running the boat. If it wasn't replaced, then use of the boat would damage the screen and module. Which is apparently what happened on my boat.

Boat Country replaced the screen module and harness. While water testing they discovered that the surf system was indeed wired backwards. The right tab would deploy instead o the left and vice versa. They rewired the connector and now it works as designed.

Turns out the epic stereo feedback was due to a defective RCA cable.

Overall Boat Country had about 12 hours of work diagnosing, repairing, and water testing the boat. It is now MUCH better. I put another 20 hours on it in the past two weeks, and most everything works as it should. The things that aren't right have nothing to do with Boat Country. (7 speaker lights that don't work, and the stereo switching inputs on its own when you restart the boat).

Boat Country went above and beyond in repairing my boat. Brent and his crew are great people with awesome customer service. I can't say enough about their shop and the professional manner in which they dealt with me, even though I didn't purchase the boat there. They even returned my boat cleaner than when I dropped it off.

It really highlights the importance of having a good dealer.

Also a big thanks to Skier's Choice for helping me out. Great customer service from them as well, better than expected.

Last edited by JCleary; 08-11-2017 at 8:19 AM. Reason: grammar, punctuation
Old     (smorris7)      Join Date: Nov 2013       08-11-2017, 8:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCleary View Post
Brian at Skier's Choice hooked me up with Brent at Boat Country. They took in my boat last month and went to work. They verified all my complaints and executed repairs.

The selling dealer did not perform a required retrofit prior to delivering the boat. Evidently some 2016 boats were shipped with an incorrect wire harness installed, resulting in the screen and computer module to fight for a ground. A new harness was to be installed prior to running the boat. If it wasn't replaced, then use of the boat would damage the screen and module. Which is apparently what happened on my boat.

Boat Country replaced the screen module and harness. While water testing they discovered that the surf system was indeed wired backwards. The right tab would deploy instead o the left and vice versa. They rewired the connector and now it works as designed.

Turns out the epic stereo feedback was due to a defective RCA cable.

Overall Boat Country had about 12 hours of work diagnosing, repairing, and water testing the boat. It is now MUCH better. I put another 20 hours on it in the past two weeks, and most everything works as it should. The things that aren't right have nothing to do with Boat Country. (7 speaker lights that don't work, and the stereo switching inputs on its own when you restart the boat).

Boat Country went above and beyond in repairing my boat. Brent and his crew are great people with awesome customer service. I can't say enough about their shop and the professional manner in which they dealt with me, even though I didn't purchase the boat there. They even returned my boat cleaner than when I dropped it off.

It really highlights the importance of having a good dealer.

Also a big thanks to Skier's Choice for helping me out. Great customer service from them as well, better than expected.

Great to hear! Glad things are finally getting worked out for you.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-11-2017, 8:55 AM Reply   
Boat Country is awesome. I've bought several boats from Brent over the years. You were hooked up with a great shop. Best of luck.
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       08-11-2017, 8:56 AM Reply   
Great to hear!
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-13-2017, 3:52 PM Reply   
Great to hear. Skiers choice has always been stand up!!
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-13-2017, 5:11 PM Reply   
Boat country is great, Brent is a good dude, greg his head mechanic is great, landon a sales guy is great as well. Theyre all very knowledgeable and good dudes