Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-12-2014, 7:39 AM Reply   
Hey guys odd problem. Have an aerial assault tower. Whoever designed this thing thought it was intelligent to have like 1/4" threaded inserts hold the tower together. I have atleast 1-2 on each side that have stripped completely out. When even 1 is stripped the tower can't be fully supported correctly and becomes a giant rattling swingset. Would you guys suggest threading/tapping a larger insert in or welding the 2 pieces together?

The dots are the inserts that are jacked up

Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-12-2014, 9:21 AM Reply   
I would weld anything I could on that tower.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-12-2014, 9:49 AM Reply   
Through bolt it. That way you could lower it still
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       03-12-2014, 9:56 AM Reply   
When we installed any of the china towers, we either spot welded or circumference welded all the joints... Thats what you get buying cheap stuff..
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-12-2014, 11:57 AM Reply   
William: Over time Aluminum cant take the constant un bolting and re-bolting that putting your tower up and down does. I had this same problem on my FTC tower. The main bolt that holds the upper tower to the lower legs got lots of use with me constantly folding my tower. What I did to fix the problem was a Heli-Coil.

Buy a Kit, It comes with Drill & Tap. You will drill out the Old threads larger and Re-tap New Larger threads and then Install a Heli-Coil. Its a set of Steel threads that become your new bolting surface. That way your bolting and un bolting into steel threads each time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSL5sIrj7Tw
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-12-2014, 12:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
When we installed any of the china towers, we either spot welded or circumference welded all the joints... Thats what you get buying cheap stuff..
Think this might be the way I go. I didn't "buy" the tower......I bought the boat haha. Its not the bolt for folding that has stripped. There are actually 5 useless ass threaded inserts that hold the pieces together. The bolt to lower is fine since I never lower my tower. What do you guys think is a fair price to weld 4 of those plates to the tubes?
Old     (gravity)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-17-2014, 3:57 PM Reply   
I had mine welded. It was money well spent. I was always tightening those stupid little things.
Old     (Birdman)      Join Date: Jan 2014       03-17-2014, 9:13 PM Reply   
The aerial tower on my old boat was horrible for that I would weld them perm. Fix that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkh
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-17-2014, 9:30 PM Reply   
Welding is an option....
I would avoid using threaded inserts like heli-coils or keenserts... those are more of an option when you want to continue using the same sized faster...basically opening up a hole, removing the damaged threads, and using the insert to restore design dimensions... you dont care about that here, and shouldn't.

id like to see some pictures if you have them? I guess im not entirely sure what the problem is, so i can't give you any good advice... 1/4" threaded inserts referring to the diameter of the bolt? length of threads engaged? OD ID of the threaded insert that you say is in there?

I need pictures. I think it would help everyone to help you.