Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Tommy1005)      Join Date: May 2013       04-22-2015, 2:32 PM Reply   
I've been looking for a long time and have narrowed it down to these 2 boats.....We will surf 50%, wakeboard 20%, ski 10%, and just cruise and hang out at the sand bar the rest of the time. I just wanted to hear some other opinions on which of these 2 boats y'all like better. The X30 is a 2014 with Gen2 and the 6.0, the Z3 is a 2015 with the Raptor 400 and AVX.

I get that in the end it's a $100,000 decision and ultimately it doesn't matter what other people think, but the extra thoughts before pulling the trigger are never a bad thing to have. I have driven both, but haven't gotten in the water behind either of them.

Thanks for your help.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-22-2015, 2:41 PM Reply   
If you go over to Tige Owners.com they have many articles and pictures on the Z3 surf wave and how to set it up. I have surfed and Wakeboarded behind a 2012. The 2015 is only better. I have only Wakeboarded behind a Mastercraft and it has a excellent wakeboard wake. I don't know what level you're at but either boat should take you where you want to go progression wise.
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       04-22-2015, 3:40 PM Reply   
If you surfing more, I would get the boat with the surf system so you don't have to list the boat over. It's sucks when people don't want to move to one side and all you see is your wake deminishing. That's one thing I wish my axis had, surf gate. Imo, tige is a bit to flashy for me, too many florecent colors and a super busy interior. The more stitching I see in a interior, the more ripped seams I see in the future.

Do you have pictures of both boats that you can post?
Old     (dilpickle)      Join Date: Aug 2013       04-22-2015, 3:49 PM Reply   
You'll probably hear it plenty, but get on & behind both boats & fully check them out. This will give you a chance to evaluate not only the boat, but the dealer as well. When I was shopping last year, the MC dealer turned me off before we even got to seriously considering his line. The Tige dealer I ended up buying from was super easy to deal with & was truly interested in making sure I ended up with the best boat, even if that meant it wasn't his.

Regarding the listing to surf, the 7-9 degrees you lean a Tige over is not nearly as bad as most make it out to be, I have never heard anyone complain about being uncomfortable while out with us.

Again, gather 1st hand info & make your decision based on that rather than some complete strangers opinions/experiences.
Old     (Tommy1005)      Join Date: May 2013       04-22-2015, 4:05 PM Reply   
Simple gel schemes on both. I feel as though I have a pretty good relationship with both dealers.

Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-22-2015, 4:06 PM Reply   
Having had a boat the needed to be listed and one with a surf system I'd say the surf system is night and day better. Having to move everyone to one side, switch ballast ect ect is a PITA compared to just hitting a button to swap over.
Old     (Tommy1005)      Join Date: May 2013       04-22-2015, 4:22 PM Reply   
Any major issues with the 6.0 in the mastercraft or the Raptor motor in the Tige?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-22-2015, 10:39 PM Reply   
Can't say much about the new Z3 but the X30 has great surf wake and decent wakeboard wake.

I love both of those boats gel schemes. Huge fan of less is more. Boats like this never go out of style.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-23-2015, 4:25 AM Reply   
X30 also has one of the best slalom wakes of the bigger wake boats. Certainly nothing like a ski boat, but very good for a 23' wake boat.
Old     (spikeTX42)      Join Date: Dec 2014       04-23-2015, 5:01 AM Reply   
That captain's chair on the Z3 is so nice. If you have kids, its nice to be able to throw them all up front in the play pen. The rear facing seat behind the driver is money.

The Gen 2 system looks like it will take some skin off trying to get in and out of the boat. The teak deck looks nice now, but will require hours of maintenance later on. You get black 18" wheels on the boatmate versus 14 or 15" chrome on the MC trailer.

The raptor has yet to prove itself, the 6.0 is solid. I like the Wetsounds Rev 10's over the JL cans. You mentioned you have driven both - how would you compare the touch screens?
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-23-2015, 5:24 AM Reply   
I think comparing the two is like comparing an BMW and a Kia.

The Tige will probably surf pretty good and the wakeboard wake will be ok. The fit and finish on Tige just isn't there. I crawled around them at boat shows and they are very cheap feeling for the money that you pay for that boat. Personally I think the interior looks cheap. The interiors are very hard IMO with and very straight up and down.

The MC X30 will surf just as good as the Tige. GEN2 is the real deal and the wave is awesome. It has a ton of push and can be customized to your liking. The wakeboard wake on the X30 will be better. I have ridden one with about 2500 additional ballast and its on par with many other pure wakeboard boats. The touch screen on the MCs are flawless. I came from a 2012 MC with the older touch screen and I can tell you this is so easy to use. The MC Interior is way nice and the finish will be very well.

As far as speakers go, the dealer can swap out the JL tower speakers and add Wetsounds for no charge. I would keep the JL interior speakers as they offer a high quality sound.

I think in the end it comes down to dealers. Dockside Marine is a great dealer that is established in the Area and great with service. I purchased a boat from them and they are great. This past winter they let me come test drive an X23 when my dealer didn't have one and they were super nice and informative. I don't know much about the Tige dealer but I would do your research .
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-23-2015, 6:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
I think comparing the two is like comparing an BMW and a Kia.
This. Nothing against Tige - but the fit, finish and build quality are two significantly different levels.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-23-2015, 6:19 AM Reply   
Texas Tige has an excellent reputation. Surf both boats,then wakeboard behind them. Last while their loaded run them about 25 mph and turn them quickly and sharply in both directions. How a boat handles when it's loaded is important when trying to avoid obstacles and get back to a injured rider. Also make sure you do some double ups. This will tell you how well the handle the rough water.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-23-2015, 6:20 AM Reply   
Come on BMW to Kia??????????? These are the worst reviews. I have seen so many of the I crawled around one at a boat show and XYZ boat sucks. I agree with Xstar the boats both look freaking great. Good luck with your decision.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-23-2015, 6:46 AM Reply   
X30, no brainer. If nothing else, just due to better resale value on the Mastercraft brand. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all by the performance of the boat. The Tige is sharp, and I'm sure the wake is good as well, but brand recognition of MC is going to be better in the long run.
Old     (Tommy1005)      Join Date: May 2013       04-23-2015, 6:49 AM Reply   
I also think the BMW to Kia is a little extreme......I might give you BMW to Lexus. I agree the build quality of the Mastercraft seems to be better, but I wouldn't say night and day different. I also like the simple schemes because if I keep it for 10 years it won't be dated.

As far as the stereo goes, considering I can get Wetsounds and JL at cost I'm pretty familiar with both setups. I agree on the Mastercraft I would keep the JL inboats and probably even the towers for a year or so, then put either the JL 8.8 towers or a pair of Rev 410's on it.

I honestly didn't feel much difference in the touch screen use on either boat, so that is a wash for me. The big thing is I haven't driven one with the AVX and there doesn't seem to be very many videos floating around of people surfing the AVX boats yet. Guess I just need to go put it in the water and find out for myself. Thanks for the input.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-23-2015, 7:12 AM Reply   
if your really into surfing go with the tige. The shape and clean face of the wave is the best out there in my opinion. I surf 100% of the time, and I own a z3
Old     (willyt)      Join Date: May 2010       04-23-2015, 9:07 AM Reply   
if you're going to be surfing 50% of the time i would definitely prefer the JL's to wetsounds. You don't need, or want, a HLCD for surfing 15 feet behind the boat. That's why wetsounds has a completely different lineup (icons) for coaxial surf speakers.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       04-23-2015, 10:05 AM Reply   
I had short listed the Tige Z3, Centurion FS33 and Mastercraft X30.

The X30 is a very nice boat...but I feel the fit and finish in the Tige was very comparable....

The surf wave on the Z3 was much better than the X30... I surfed behind both!!

Overall the Tige is a well laid out boat just like the Mastercraft X30...The X30 will have some really nifty options you can get that are a step above...but in my opinion and what I wanted it for the Tige Z3 was a great fit.

Listing it over isn't that big of a deal. It take a bit of time to set up but meh...Doesnt bother me.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-23-2015, 11:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeko View Post

The X30 is a very nice boat...but I feel the fit and finish in the Tige was very comparable....
I think you may be seeing things and/or biased. The fit, finish and construction of a tige is not even close to MC. Now is we were talking about a CC, Malibu or Supra I would agree as all of these are in the same ballpark but tige lags behind all of these companies.

MB has a better fit and finish than Tige.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-23-2015, 11:59 AM Reply   
If anything compares to a BMW, don't buy it. It will break down all the time and cost you thousands!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-23-2015, 1:59 PM Reply   
Paul I agree. I definitely wouldn't own a BMW.Stays in the shop and costs a ton for the parts.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-23-2015, 2:20 PM Reply   
Hey the good thing is that you're looking at the two best models in each manufacturers line up IMO
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-23-2015, 4:07 PM Reply   
I'd have to agree with Dave (and almost everyone else) on the fit and finish/build quality of Tige..... Especially if you start opening things, and removing panels, etc.... They just aren't there when compared to MC, CC, Bu, Supra and even some others. Heck, Tige doesn't even use tinned wiring, let alone tinned connectors. (At least the last one I looked at didn't. Think it was a '14.)

That said, they are still good boats, and are built well enough. It's not like their build processes produce a boat that is prone to failure. Fit and finish is way behind most others. I thought they were a LOT cheaper than they are...... A Z3 is running in the range of 80-110k now??
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-23-2015, 4:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post
I'd have to agree with Dave (and almost everyone else) on the fit and finish/build quality of Tige..... Especially if you start opening things, and removing panels, etc.... They just aren't there when compared to MC, CC, Bu, Supra and even some others. Heck, Tige doesn't even use tinned wiring, let alone tinned connectors. (At least the last one I looked at didn't. Think it was a '14.)
From what I've taken apart so far, neither does Malibu. MB definitely does not used tinned wire or connectors.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-23-2015, 5:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
From what I've taken apart so far, neither does Malibu. MB definitely does not used tinned wire or connectors.
Pretty sure Bu uses tinned connectors, but not wire (but I could be wrong) Think MC and CC are the only ones using all tinned wire and connectors. I have actually never even seen an MB IRL. Seems weird, I know, but we don't have any MBs anywhere around here.

Both of the local dealers that carried Tige, dropped them last year, so I probably won't get a chance to crawl around new ones anymore.

The tinned wiring comment was just pointing out one of the many things. There is a bunch of little things, that other manufacturers do, that put them ahead on build quality.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-23-2015, 8:06 PM Reply   
Why do all u guys say BU compares to MC and CC??? But then in same sentence say Tige doesn't? Gives no credibility. In my opinion tige is just as good fit finish wise as a bu and will leave at that...

Now between a x30 and the Z3 I'd have to choose the x30 all day long especially when price are the same or close. Having a surf system totally blow the tige out the water. Plus the reversible seat is a nice useable option on the MC. Not to mention the MC warranty is now 5yrs bumper to bumper correct?
Old     (spikeTX42)      Join Date: Dec 2014       04-24-2015, 4:17 AM Reply   
The Z3 comes with three years of bow to stern warranty and three years of free service - all you pay for is gas. That's saving me about $3,000 per year, granted we put a lot of hours on our boat.

The Z3 performs better in the sport you enjoy the most. I can't comment on the wakeboard wake, but I'm sure if you added the same amount of weight above factory that Dave recommended to put in the X30 that the wake would be comparable.

The guys on here can rattle on about surf systems all day, but a listed boat still makes a better surf wave. The one X23 I saw a guy dialing in was listed by the time they finished with it.

IMO, the Tige is more of a family friendly boat. I think you'll find the adjustability of the surf and wakeboard wakes make it ideal - you can dial it down for beginners and crank it up for the experienced peeps.

The Z3 has a taller freeboard - you sit deeper in the boat. If you have kids and are going to be on Lake Conroe you will appreciate this.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-24-2015, 5:27 AM Reply   
I still see 1997 to 2000 Tige's running around. First of all,there weren't as many produced as Mastercrafts. Secondly after 15 to 18 years of use they can't be all that bad.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-24-2015, 5:43 AM Reply   
These were 2 boats I also considered.

First off the X30 wave is definitely in the same league at the Z3, but no listing and easy switching. There isn't one trick you could do on a Z3 that you can't on an X30.
Surf system is a no brainier.
Wakeboard wake is better, much less touchy side to side and finicky!on the X30.
Ski wake much much better on the X30.

If storage matters at all, the X30 has about double. It's not even close.

If I were buying a new boat, Tige would be at the very bottom of my list. This is of on course just my opinion but I would take a LSV, 230, Supra SE or even an MB over the Tige.

At the same price It would be X30 all day. If the Tige were $20k cheaper than I'd be looking closer at it. The Tige will depreciate faster.
Old     (Tommy1005)      Join Date: May 2013       04-24-2015, 6:06 AM Reply   
everybody says the Tige will depriciate faster, but 2013 model Z3's with the base 350 are listed in the $70-$75K range......X30's seem to be listed about the same. The one nice thing that Tige offers as was said before is the 3 years of maintenance so all I have to do is put gas in it. Mastercraft does have the 5 year bow to stern warranty which is also a nice plus.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-24-2015, 6:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy1005 View Post
everybody says the Tige will depriciate faster, but 2013 model Z3's with the base 350 are listed in the $70-$75K range......X30's seem to be listed about the same. The one nice thing that Tige offers as was said before is the 3 years of maintenance so all I have to do is put gas in it. Mastercraft does have the 5 year bow to stern warranty which is also a nice plus.
A three year maintenance is nice but to be honest everything on the MC is covered under warranty expect for the Routine maintenance i.e. oil change, impellor, belts.

The bow to stern warranty is a big deal IMO as these boats have more and more electronics.

Something else to take into account is the dealers. I have been told that Dockside pretty much has the market in this area which means they aren't going out of business anytime soon and they are awesome people to work with.

Unless you are getting a great deal on the Tige versus the MC it would be a no brainer. The X30 is one of MCs most popular boat and the resale will be there for a long time.

For those that think the X30 surf isn't any good and that these boats need to be listed to get the perfect wave haven't ridden the boat. GEN2 makes surfing awesome, simple and safe.

501 you need to share some wake/wave pics I know yours is dialed in and perfect!
Old     (spikeTX42)      Join Date: Dec 2014       04-24-2015, 6:15 AM Reply   
Yeah the warranty and the free service combined is legit. I brought mine in on Tuesday this week for service and a few warranty items - picked it up yesterday (Thursday) and it cost me zero dollars, heck they even gave me a beer while I was chatting it up with them. Brandon, Johnny, and Larry are awesome to deal with. They treat me the same now as if I was walking in to buy a boat - just a great group of guys.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-24-2015, 7:22 AM Reply   
If I was at home I'd post some pics of the wake/wave but unfortunately I'm in Florida at Freedom Wake Park riding with Cobe and Tarah Mikacich, and it's even better than I Imagined. Just awesome. I will say the X30 is very very easy to setup. And to this point I haven't made one warranty claim what so ever in 2 years and 200 hours.

As for the used prices, all that really matters is how much they sell for not how much they are listed for and owners always want to get as much out of them as possible.

If the OP likes the Z3 he will probably be happy with it, this is all opinions. But there is absolutely positively a difference in build quality. That is not even up for debate.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-24-2015, 7:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Tige will depreciate faster.
This a major misconception that gets tossed around when any other boat is compared to the "the big 3". The reason thats its false is because it gets based on the listed dollar amount compared to the original MSRP. The only way to make a fair comparison, is to look at the secondary sale price as percentage. In other words, you cant say boat A depreciated X dollars and boat B only depreciated Y dollars.

The other variable that skews the whole equation, is if there is a trade in the deal. Just like a car deal, the new vehicle can be discounted heavily in order to offset a low trade allowance. Or, the new vehicle can be held at asking, and a higher trade allowance shown on the docs. At the end of the day, the bottom line for the buyer is the same.

A heavily discounted boat will hold an artificially high resale value in their perspective.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-24-2015, 7:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
I think you may be seeing things and/or biased. The fit, finish and construction of a tige is not even close to MC. Now is we were talking about a CC, Malibu or Supra I would agree as all of these are in the same ballpark but tige lags behind all of these companies.

MB has a better fit and finish than Tige.
I went from Malibu to CC.. it's a far bigger difference than Tige to MC. The CC is a whole different league than Malibu/Supra/Tige.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-24-2015, 12:12 PM Reply   
What does 3 years of scheduled maintenance cost you all?? I put on 150hrs a year, and I have all of $200-$250.00 in scheduled maintenance per year. It is next to nothing. 3 oil changes at $50.00 each, and $80-$100 more on the last oil change for the trans and other little 200hr checks. (Shaft alignment, impeller, etc.)

Does Tige cover winterizing, summarizing, etc. as well as scheduled maintenance? That would certainly add a couple hundred in savings a year. Just scheduled maintenance is peanuts though...... One little thing on year 4 would quickly make up for any scheduled maintenance savings. Not to mention, there are a lot of exclusions in the Tige 3 year.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-24-2015, 12:57 PM Reply   
^^Nope just fluid changes and 1 impeller per year. Winterization and summarization are not included. I mean its nice to not to worry about it, but it doesn't save you thousands. A lot of people on here do their own maintenance and at that point your talking about $100-$150/ year with the impeller. Having worked at a Tige dealer not at all sure what "exclusions" you are referencing. Its a bow to stern same as other brands and trust me I'm not sticking up for Tige. But I will say 3 years dealing with them I never once saw them decline a warranty claim.

I would take the 30 all day for the same price. Surprised they are even close. In my area there would be $20-25K difference between a Z3 and an X30.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-24-2015, 1:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
^^Nope just fluid changes and 1 impeller per year. Winterization and summarization are not included. I mean its nice to not to worry about it, but it doesn't save you thousands. A lot of people on here do their own maintenance and at that point your talking about $100-$150/ year with the impeller. Having worked at a Tige dealer not at all sure what "exclusions" you are referencing. Its a bow to stern same as other brands and trust me I'm not sticking up for Tige. But I will say 3 years dealing with them I never once saw them decline a warranty claim.

I would take the 30 all day for the same price. Surprised they are even close. In my area there would be $20-25K difference between a Z3 and an X30.

Exclusions would be-
-Tige only covers labor for 1 year. Year 2 and 3 labor is customer pay.
-Tige excludes parts shipping charges from warranty coverage. (I'm sure they probably cover for a lot of stuff, but it is an exclusion in their warranty)
-Tige doesn't cover the integrity of ANY finished surface. Chrome, anodized, powder coated, and painted surfaces are not covered for any sort of defect. Obviously normal wear and fading is also not covered just like any other.
-Tige doesn't cover any non skid, flooring, carpet, and traction products.
-Tige doesn't back the warranty for any item not made by Tige. (Engine, transmission, trailer, etc.) yes, these items are typically covered by the component manufacturer, but that can be a big fight for coverage. Lots of folks have run into this issue. MC backs these items, without any third party involvement, or hoops to jump through.
-Tige warranty is only transferable under "limited circumstances".
-The lifetime hull warrantee can be transferred to a second owner for an additional $500.00, HOWEVER, that "Lifetime Warranty" is now only a 10 year warranty...... This transfer fee of $500 does not cover anything else.

That is a lot of exclusions in my opinion........ And when they are only paying labor for one year, I wouldn't call it a 3 year warranty at all.....
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-24-2015, 2:37 PM Reply   
Tige covered every part of any claim I've had. I paid nothing. no shipping for parts, or labor. They also fixed painted surfaces under warranty.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-24-2015, 2:50 PM Reply   
^ Thats great! Just doesn't change the fact that everything I posted is in perfect black and white on their warranty details. Maybe they only deny claims when they feel like it, or maybe rarely ever at all. You would never know until that time comes, because they certainly reserve the right to do so.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-24-2015, 3:15 PM Reply   
-The warranty you posted is for the R20 and the R20 only. Tige covers every other boat bow to stern for 3 years. Parts and labor.

The rest of their warranty is pretty standard restrictions that many others also have. Again not sticking up for them, personally won't own another one but it sure isn't for warranty reasons. I think they are lacking in the transferable part, but less than half of tow boat manufacturers transfer last I checked. All have a transfer fee if they do it. I don't know MC's warranty, but I can tell you from owning and working for them Tige is pretty easy on warranty work. We even did gel work which NO One covers (on paper) and they covered it.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-24-2015, 3:30 PM Reply   
^ I hear ya, sounds like they are good about what they cover beyond what they promise. the exclusions I listed are from the warranty details for the rest of the models. Only difference I saw on the r20 warranty was that the hull warranty was not transferable.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-24-2015, 3:30 PM Reply   
they covered gel work on mine! no questions asked!
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-24-2015, 4:03 PM Reply   
No arguments or opinions needed. Here is the print.

Tige - http://www.tige.com/warranty/tige_li...rev_070814.pdf

MasterCraft - http://www.mastercraft.com/warranty-info
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-24-2015, 6:49 PM Reply   
How close are the two in price? The Z3 is a good looking boat on the water. It really catches your eye and has nice lines. They also perform great, and I've never been in a boat that had better access to the engine and trans for maintenance purposes. That being said, the only Z3 I've been on, had some minor quality issues. They weren't serious issues, but there were small things that would drive me nuts on something that expensive. For example, imperfections in the gell lines and stitching pulling apart on upholstery in under 20 hours of use. It's possible that this particular one was an anomaly. For what it's worth, I've had a Tige and think they're good boats.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-24-2015, 7:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini88 View Post
How close are the two in price? The Z3 is a good looking boat on the water. It really catches your eye and has nice lines. They also perform great, and I've never been in a boat that had better access to the engine and trans for maintenance purposes. That being said, the only Z3 I've been on, had some minor quality issues. They weren't serious issues, but there were small things that would drive me nuts on something that expensive. For example, imperfections in the gell lines and stitching pulling apart on upholstery in under 20 hours of use. It's possible that this particular one was an anomaly. For what it's worth, I've had a Tige and think they're good boats.
gel flaws can happen to the best of them

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=66225
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-25-2015, 10:27 AM Reply   
Mike, I completely agree with you on that. That particular boat may have been an outlier, but there were multiple lines in the gell on it that were not clean. I'm just giving my personal experience with the particular model that is being asked about on here. As I said in my post, I thought the Z3 was a great looking boat that performed well. I also would be perfectly happy owning one. That being said, if the OP is able to buy these two models at the same price, if it was me, I'd lean towards the X30.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-26-2015, 4:04 AM Reply   
^^^l'f it was me I'd see which dealer was the best"after" the sale.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-26-2015, 4:05 AM Reply   
It doesn't matter what you pay for a product if you're unhappy with it and can't get it resolved.
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       04-27-2015, 3:52 AM Reply   
Seams like you have a better resale on the MC. You will limit half the people looking at it because 1)it doesn't have a surf system and 2)it doesn't have a great wakeboard wake.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-27-2015, 6:47 AM Reply   
So what is the cost difference?
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       04-27-2015, 11:11 AM Reply   
After everything was said and done the MC was approx 15K more than the Tige....
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-27-2015, 11:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
After everything was said and done the MC was approx 15K more than the Tige....
This could vary in different states. I think for 15K more the MC is well worth it still.....
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       04-27-2015, 2:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
This could vary in different states. I think for 15K more the MC is well worth it still.....
That's your opinion. I would compare the Z3 more the X-23 to be perfectly honest. and at 30K difference...not worth it at all!
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-27-2015, 2:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
That's your opinion. I would compare the Z3 more the X-23 to be perfectly honest. and at 30K difference...not worth it at all!

First rule of forums. Never type while your drunk!

I can promise you that the Z3 and the X23 aren't even in the same ball park. I own an X23 and have been in a Z3.

The fact that you think Tige is very comparable in fit and finish as MC tells me everything. These two companies are on two different playing fields.

Again to say that MC and CC are comparable is one thing because both are premium brands and incredible boat companies. Tige not so much.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-27-2015, 3:22 PM Reply   
In case the wakeboard wake on an X-30 matters to you, here is what it looks like nicely loaded down.
Attached Images

Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-27-2015, 6:38 PM Reply   
MC has a following thats different from Bu, CC,tige, centurion, mb, etc etc. The x30 is a super nice boat, and no one would say MC does a poor job of building there boats, but you have to want to own a MC, you can buy anything, but it seems (just my opinion) there is a certain type of buyer that falls in love with MC and has to have one, then there are those who would never buy one, but would be happy with the BU or CC etc etc, and not because of cost. So are you the guy who wants the MC or would rather have the alternative. Not that MC is better by any means, but they have built a cult following.

I have been a porsche owner for years and cannot get into ferrari's. I think they are beautiful, but something about them (not money) pushing me away. I think a lot of people feel that way about MC and defend there stance only on feeling, not product.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-27-2015, 6:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougr View Post
MC has a following thats different from Bu, CC,tige, centurion, mb, etc etc. The x30 is a super nice boat, and no one would say MC does a poor job of building there boats, but you have to want to own a MC, you can buy anything, but it seems (just my opinion) there is a certain type of buyer that falls in love with MC and has to have one, then there are those who would never buy one, but would be happy with the BU or CC etc etc, and not because of cost. So are you the guy who wants the MC or would rather have the alternative. Not that MC is better by any means, but they have built a cult following.

I have been a porsche owner for years and cannot get into ferrari's. I think they are beautiful, but something about them (not money) pushing me away. I think a lot of people feel that way about MC and defend there stance only on feeling, not product.

Not going to lie this has to be one of the greatest Wakeworld comments about MC. This guy puts its all in prospective!
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-27-2015, 8:04 PM Reply   
I have owned both a 2013 Z3 and now own a 2013 X30 (bought the Z3 in the fall of 2012 and the X30 was a holdover at a dealer in 2014). We surf 90% of the time.

I liked the layout of the Z3, it seemed a little roomier and the playpen was nice. The listing didn't bother me because I was used to it. The water never got close to the rub rail even with massive bags in the lockers. The wave was typical to Tige and was naturally very steep which is fine for my riding style and you could tame it a bit with the plate although that sacrificed push. I owned a 2012 RZ2 prior to the Z3 so I was fine with Tige brand and quality.

I have owned 4 boats in 4 years searching for the best surf wave I could find for me in my budget.
Fast forward to last summer when I sold the Z3 and bought the X30. This summer I will have had this boat for 2 seasons which for me is saying a lot, I typically dump and move on to the next. I always add way beyond factory ballast to these boats and did the same with the Tige's and now the Mastercraft. The Tige had the edge as far as room for sacks, I had to get a little more creative with the MC to add the weight I wanted. I have added two 900's in the rear corners, two new thru hulls that fill 400's in the side compartments and have an additional 500lbs in lead spread around. All in all its over 5k if I want it and the rub rail is still 10" off the water, its nuts. This is the best wave I have ever ridden, and I retrofitted the Gen2 which only makes it better to be honest. I will try to find some pics and post. the interior of the X30 is really nice as well, the electronics seem to be equally nice.

With my propensity to flip boats and move on I feel much more comfortable with the resale on my MC than I did on the Z3. I think MC holds their value better and you can move them much quicker if you decide to switch things up.

Just my .02 cents coming from someone who has owned both.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-28-2015, 8:39 AM Reply   
I might point out Market conditions control resale value. Number of units available,dealership customer satisfaction,financing available and qualified buyers are major factors in determining resale value. If there is no longer a dealer to service your boat within 100 miles,that may hurt your resale value too.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-28-2015, 6:21 PM Reply   
I think there is different trends in different locations, when i moved to Lake wylie Sc, i never saw so many supra/mooba's in my life, in the north east, they are rare to see. MC,BU,CC all have a long standing market share across all markets and a lot of the other companies has pockets where they are stronger. Thats changing with wake surfing pushing the boat market (i am not saying thats good or bad, but is happening) so its opening tige, supreme, centurion, maybe sanger, more mb etc etc and it is showing at the dealer level as well. i buy my boats from a malibu, centurion dealer that was CC for many years as well. I had BU's first now centurions. I (personally) think people get too wrapped up in the fine points and miss the point of buying what fits your needs and what makes you happy. I know that sounds silly, but i have never been told to leave the lake because my boat was no of choice at the sand bar.lol if performance is the driving factor, and style or status is not, then you can choose based on that factor, if status, style, shape, color are a stronger buying factor, choose in that direction, either way, you have to be happy with your purchase, not any of us

we will still make fun, trash, bash, etc etc all in good fun no matter what you choose.hahaha