Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (garveyj)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-19-2013, 9:32 AM Reply   
whats up fellow wakeworlders - I am about to be a first time boat owner (pick it up in a few weeks) and was starting to think about all the stuff that I will need in my boat. I am wondering if anyone has a good checklist to use or maybe what the typical things are. I have a few things that I have thought of but what else am I missing? Also - if you have a preference for a product to buy - can you post a link (like a certain anchor that you absolutely love). Here is what I have on my list:
  • dock lines
  • bumpers
  • anchor
  • extra life vests
  • an oar
  • jumper cables or a charge box

Thanks
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-19-2013, 9:37 AM Reply   
tools
duct tape (ha, ya never know)
electrical tape
fuses
impeller
boat registration and insurance (was surprised at how many didn't have this at coast guard boat inspection last summer)
spare boat key / spare tow vehicle key (don't ask!)
first aid kit
a knife
goggles/mask and snorkel (for cutting ropes out of your prop with that knife I just suggested)
a giant magnet for treasure hunting

Last edited by shawndoggy; 03-19-2013 at 9:40 AM.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-19-2013, 9:37 AM Reply   
small box with adjustable wrench, duct tape, 4 in 1 screwdriver, pliers, etc.

don't forget some really fat chicks to maximize wake and food to feed them (no cheetos)
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-19-2013, 9:38 AM Reply   
good call on the first aid kit but if you can't duct it...........Seriously though electrical tape is the best band aid ever made
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-19-2013, 9:41 AM Reply   
Ice luge
Shot ski
Funnels
Large cooler
Gas powered blender
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-19-2013, 9:44 AM Reply   
Attached Images

Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-19-2013, 9:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Gas powered blender
Don't listen to chatt. They make the margaritaville ones with battery packs or get an inverter.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-19-2013, 9:46 AM Reply   
http://www.gasblender.com/

I have one. It is awesome. That is all.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-19-2013, 9:53 AM Reply   
It must weight alot too!

I thought those things were bigger?

Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-19-2013, 10:23 AM Reply   
Extra prop?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-19-2013, 10:29 AM Reply   
A tool box is a good item to have . The way to get a good tool box going is. Just start thinking about the items you might need. I have found the Pre made tool kits have a ton of stuff that YOU DONT need and Very little of what you do need. That's why you need to custom make you own one. Start with the soft bag style. They are soft so they will not hurt your interior. They are easy to pull in and out of your boat Ect.

Some items I didn't see on some of the posts
Small Flash light
A "Throw" (personal life preserve)
Fire suppressor.
Leatherman (Multi tool)
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-19-2013, 10:33 AM Reply   
I would recommend 2 paddles instead of just 1. Every time I've actually had to use a paddle when a boat ran out of gas or had engine trouble I've wished the boat owner had 2 instead of just 1.

Some other things not already mentioned that you might want:
boat cleaner/vinyl cleaner/vinyl conditioner
extra towels
throwable life preserver (a requirement in at least some states)
inboard engine flusher (if you don't have flush kit installed)
floating keychain

stuff for tow-vehicle and trailer that you may not already have:
air compressor
hitch
wheel chaulks
adapter for plugging the trailer's lights and brakes into your tow-vehicle (probably a 5-straight-pins to a big-circular thing)

As for your anchor question, based on opinions I've seen in other threads here I bought a box anchor for my first boat that I just got. (http://www.slideanchor.com/Hlm_ShopI...1-c5e749bb8688) I got the "small."
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-19-2013, 10:47 AM Reply   
Anchor Buddy, Sand Spike, extra rider down flag, fire ex,
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-19-2013, 11:06 AM Reply   
Floating knife for cutting rope off shaft. As noted before don't ask.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-19-2013, 11:51 AM Reply   
Trailer straps so If you get in a wreck the boat will stay on the trailer.

LOL
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-19-2013, 11:52 AM Reply   
Shawndoggy! thats a mirror image of my list!! LOL And Chatt, Love the boob ballast!!
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-19-2013, 5:31 PM Reply   
Think about spending some extra money on a good anchor, these are awesome. Throw it out and forget about it, they wont pull up in high wind conditions...

http://www.slideanchor.com/hlm_shopi...1-c5e749bb8688

Also... to add to Shawns list, extra drain plug, extra cheap pair of sunglasses in glove box (you will need them someday when either someone breaks yours or they go over into the lake), gorilla tape (stuff is amazing), extra cell phone charger.

Last edited by fman; 03-19-2013 at 5:39 PM.
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-19-2013, 5:41 PM Reply   
I also keep a fresh superglue on board for any skin lacerations that aren't too bad
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-19-2013, 5:46 PM Reply   
As mentioned a good multi-tool, bottle opener, koozies (you can never have too many), zip-ties (came in handy for broken bikini hooks/clasp a couple times on my boat), and a loud whistle (in case your horn stops working you're still legal or for emergency).
Old     (tigeidaho)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-19-2013, 5:47 PM Reply   
X2 on the box anchor. Extra suntan lotion. X2 on the insurance and regs. Congrats on the new boat

Last edited by tigeidaho; 03-19-2013 at 5:55 PM.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-20-2013, 4:59 AM Reply   
Jeff, congrats on the new boat. What'd you get?

I've got quite a bit of stuff that I might be willing to get rid of...extra bumpers, extra life jackets, throwable, extra ropes, an anchor or two, and possibly some other stuff. It was all stuff I used for my 2000 Xstar. The G23 is a lot bigger, and I decided to beef up the equipment as well.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-20-2013, 5:54 AM Reply   
A class on how to run a boat. Seriously. It amazes me how many people I meet who buy boats and really have no clue about how to run them, rules of the road, etc.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-20-2013, 5:55 AM Reply   
Anybody suggest jumper cables yet? Those are important.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-20-2013, 6:02 AM Reply   
One other thing to have on any boat is some good cleaner and vinyl conditioner. I have used Boat Bling's products for the last two seasons, and could not be happier. Each and every time I use my boat I wipe the hull down with Hot Sauce to get all of the grime and water spots off. I also use the Vinyl Sauce and Conditioning Sauce on my interior to keep it clean and protected. Many people screw up their new vinyl by using harsh chemicals to clean theri interior and strip the protectants from the vinyl. Boat Bling's sauces don't do that. I've owned numerous ski/wakeboard boat since the late 90's, and one thing I've learned over the years is that the best way to keep your investment in great shape is to keep high quality cleaning products on board at all times.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       03-20-2013, 6:43 AM Reply   
I use boat bling too and love their vinyl sauce and conditioning sauce. I use vinyl sauce every time we use it, and conditioning sauce when I put it back in the storage unit at end of weekend. Good stuff!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       03-20-2013, 8:19 AM Reply   
snorkle set and dive knife.
anchor
spare wake rope.
4 dock lines
fender/bumpers.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-20-2013, 8:24 AM Reply   
Gas station sunglasses; boat towel; asprine/motrin; tums; pepto; and solo cups.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-20-2013, 8:42 AM Reply   
Fat Girls and cheetos!!!
Old     (Rad_Matty_D)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-20-2013, 9:26 AM Reply   
flares/flare gun
Old     (lavinder)      Join Date: Mar 2008 Location: Gig Harbor, WA       03-20-2013, 9:27 AM Reply   
Extra gear I have on the boat at all times. (life jackets, Type IV throwable, bumpers, standard gear)
Anchor and Chain
extra rope
Toolbox
Flashlight
Extra dock lines
First Aid kit
Battery charger/jumper
bungie cords
paper towels in ziplock bag
3 bottle openers in different places
Extra orange flag
air compressor
Locking carbiner
Old     (garveyj)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-20-2013, 9:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj32 View Post
Jeff, congrats on the new boat. What'd you get?

I've got quite a bit of stuff that I might be willing to get rid of...extra bumpers, extra life jackets, throwable, extra ropes, an anchor or two, and possibly some other stuff. It was all stuff I used for my 2000 Xstar. The G23 is a lot bigger, and I decided to beef up the equipment as well.
Thanks Jay - We are picking up an 03 Malibu Wakesetter - pretty excited for my first boat. I might take you up on that offer - send me a PM with what you have and what you want for them.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-20-2013, 12:05 PM Reply   
I dont think it has been mentioned.

- extra impeller for your jabsco or extra motor for your aerator pump (depending on your system)
- spare serpentine belt (they are cheap and take minutes to replace but could ruin your weekend if you shred one)
- little packet of dielectric grease
- little hand pump for airing up deflated bumpers
- cheap DC air mattress inflater for days you wanna chill on floaties (OR TUBING!! whoo)

I keep a lot of tune up type stuff on hand or buy double when I do buy it so I have an extra. Then when I need it again I dont have to look up part numbers. It always seems to be a headache to get certain things. Obviously I dont keep these items on the boat

Spark plugs
wires
distributor cap
oil
filter
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-20-2013, 12:26 PM Reply   
Toilette paper, Benedryl, big band aids and meat tenderizer are must have.

Corkscrew, bottle opener and a lighter. You would not believe how many friends can be made simply by having a lighter.
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-20-2013, 1:22 PM Reply   
+1 for putting paper towels in a ziplock. Just had to throw a fresh roll away cuz it was soaked
Old     (lavinder)      Join Date: Mar 2008 Location: Gig Harbor, WA       03-20-2013, 8:48 PM Reply   
A container of Kirkland Signature baby wipes is handy too. Good to wipe the boat down with in addition to sticky fingers.
Old     (NotSure123)      Join Date: Nov 2012       03-21-2013, 12:23 AM Reply   
These boat bumpers are awesome...they're not abrasive like the rubber ones that I've found always mar/scratch your gelcoat. O and a floating beer pong table always comes in handy!
Attached Images

Last edited by NotSure123; 03-21-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-21-2013, 1:05 AM Reply   
Love the funny pics, but on a serious note... I will not leave the dock without a tow rope ready to go in the front of the boat. Perhaps this is more needed in the delta but if my boat motor dies, I will need to find someone to save me from the wrap rock ASAP.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-21-2013, 3:41 AM Reply   
I didn't see sun screen.Ipod and a battery [pwr adapter] powered vacuum.Flares and a fire extinguisher.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-21-2013, 6:26 AM Reply   
Can you imagine the cost and storage you would need if you bought every product that people have mentioned thus far?

Sun Screen
Ipod
Battery Powered Vacuum
Tow Ropes
Boat Bumpers
Floating Beer Pong Table
Baby Wipes
Paper Towerls in a Ziplock
Toilet paper
Benedryl
Lighter
Band Aids
Impeller for boat
Impeller for ballast
Serpentine Belt
Dialectric Grease
Hand Air Pump
Anchor
Tool Box
Flashlight
Dock Lines
First Aid Kit
Batter Charger / Jumper box
Bungie Cord
Bottle Openers
Orange Flag
Air Compressor (wtf)
Locking Caribiner
Flare Gun
Sunglasses
Towel
Pepto Bismal
Red Solo Cups
Snorkel / Dive Set
Spare wake rope
Fenders / Bumpers
Boat Clearning Products
Jumper Cables
Super glue
Spare Drain Plug
Gorilla Tape
Phone Charger
Trailer Straps
Floating Knife
Anchor Buddy
Fire Extinguisheer
2 paddles
Engine Flush Kit
Throwable Life preserver
Floating keychain
Flaslight
Leatherman
Full tool box
Spare Prop
Electrical Tape
Duct Tape
Spare Fuses
Large Cooler
Giant Magnet
Extra Life Vests

Thta should be about it.. Looks like this should only cost you as much as the boat and then you'll need a dinghy to store it all.. Perfect!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-21-2013, 6:28 AM Reply   
And I didn't even add in the foolish stuff.
Old     (lavinder)      Join Date: Mar 2008 Location: Gig Harbor, WA       03-21-2013, 7:01 AM Reply   
I think I have most of that list in my boat. Extra ballast.
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-21-2013, 7:02 AM Reply   
Ha ha, yeah, I just bought my first boat, so I'm very interested in this thread. However, I don't think there's any way I could fit even half of the stuff on this list in my boat, so there's going to have to be some picking and choosing.
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-21-2013, 7:36 AM Reply   
Aside from a compressor and battery box which I would take on long trips in tow vehicle I literally have everything on that list, except I have a 12v vac.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-21-2013, 7:38 AM Reply   
I have a good portion of that list.

I forgot. I carry a extra winch strap for the trailer as well.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-21-2013, 9:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnargnar View Post
Aside from a compressor and battery box which I would take on long trips in tow vehicle I literally have everything on that list, except I have a 12v vac.
You keep pepto bismal, red solo cups, baby wipes, impellers, a flare gun, a locking caribiner, super glue, a giant magnet and a snorkel set on your boat?

I'm impressed.

Bryce - you dont have half of this stuff on your boat.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-21-2013, 9:38 AM Reply   
i bring a an extra boat incase mine blows up and sinks
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       03-21-2013, 10:02 AM Reply   
^^^hahahahha
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-21-2013, 10:28 AM Reply   
No flare gun or magnet but yea
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-21-2013, 10:37 AM Reply   
If you have a spare prop better have a prop puller and some wrenches..
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-21-2013, 3:37 PM Reply   
I always have a soft lunch cooler with my bong and my jar ganja in it and a towel to keep them safe. And as far as a par get a paddle surfing one they are awesome!
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-21-2013, 3:38 PM Reply   
Paddle^^
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-22-2013, 7:08 AM Reply   
Garvey's getting a boat? Nice! Jeff, give me the details, ballast, wedge, hours, you got any pics? It's been my experience that no matter how well you plan, you'll forget something for at least the first 4-5 trips out. By now everyone's weighed in so I;m not gonna bother- but if you need help getting it ready for the year, let me know. Make sure you repack the trailer bearings and have the seals changed right away- generally these get overlooked- and having burned an axle myself, it's no fun to deal with.

Send me pics!
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-22-2013, 7:10 AM Reply   
zip tie your plug to your steering wheel and it'll save you atleast 1 trip back to the house at some point
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       03-23-2013, 3:58 PM Reply   
No one mentioned beer coozies yet. I'm appalled.
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-23-2013, 6:12 PM Reply   
Here's my list....yeah - I went a little overboard but actually use it every trip so I don't forget something.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Boat Checklist.pdf (36.5 KB, 1141 views)
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-23-2013, 6:44 PM Reply   
Its been mentioned before but see if the trailer has tie down straps and/or if the tie downs are included. Order some before you pick it up if not. It amazes me how many boats are sold without tie downs and some sort of back up in the front of the trailer in case of strap failure, i.e. an additional chain attached to the boat from the trailer.