Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-13-2015, 11:22 AM Reply   
God forbid you need to discharge a Dry Chem extinguisher, in your boat! I don't know what would be worse the fire or the Clean up of the Dry Chem not to mention what that stuff does to metal. What fire Extinguisher alternatives exist?

Haylon, Co2 ???

Thanks G
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       01-13-2015, 11:40 AM Reply   
Looking at this info... https://fireextinguisherdepot.com/ho...her-guide.html it looks like Halon will be the only good alternative to an ABC dry chemical.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-13-2015, 1:21 PM Reply   
You get your wires crossed
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-13-2015, 1:36 PM Reply   
I've had this on my radar for a long time. Have you ever seen what a mess a dry cem makes. The term "Insult to Injury" is what I think of with the Dry Chem extinguishers. I would still keep one on my boat as one that I would gladly pass off to some one else in need, I think the dry Chems are like $25 each. The Haylons in the link Jason provided were like $150, imagin saying to the guy who's boat burnt down and you lent him you Haylon "hey buddy sorry about your boat but can you give me $150 for the extinguisher you just discharged! LOL
Old     (azeus17)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-16-2015, 10:49 AM Reply   
I have been looking at one of these Halon systems for a while...$250 bucks seems like cheap insurance.

http://christinesmarine.com/fire-fight.html
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-16-2015, 12:29 PM Reply   
Halon is a simply the best fire extinguisher there is. However it has been banned in almost every country on Earth, except the USA. That's because it is also the worst substance ever created for the Ozone layer. Please consider that when you look at getting a Halon extinquisher. I own a couple and have one installed on a race car. I won't recharge them if they ever get discharged. I have used Halon to extinguish fires and it is amazing.
There are a couple non corrosive effective extinguishers available. "Cold Fire" is effective on A, B, and D type fires but is not rated for electrical fires. "Halotron 1" is a Halon replacement but is less effective so it requires a bigger container to have the same rating.
I honestly hate to preach but, if you can, use something other than Halon. Save it for the supercomputer room.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-16-2015, 4:45 PM Reply   
I've head the extinguishers are a pain to clean but didn't know it was any worse than cleaning something like baby powder up??
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-16-2015, 4:53 PM Reply   
fat sack pump!!
Old     (viking)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-16-2015, 6:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeus17 View Post
I have been looking at one of these Halon systems for a while...$250 bucks seems like cheap insurance.

http://christinesmarine.com/fire-fight.html
looks more like $135 for a manual deploy handheld
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-16-2015, 6:31 PM Reply   
Dry chem extinguishers are corrosive so they are worse than baby powder for sure. CO2 is really cold so you a crack in in exhaust manifold if hit it directly.

Either one are much less of a problem than a fire though.
Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       01-16-2015, 7:23 PM Reply   
Great thread Grant! I've thought of this before as well......interested in your findings!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-16-2015, 9:46 PM Reply   
ooOOOOooooOoOooO..... do you have to worry about "rotating" halon extinguishers like you do with the dry chem?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-17-2015, 3:02 PM Reply   
Halon is liquid in the extinguisher and, if there is pressure in it, it will work without getting it serviced or having rap it to unsettle the powder. It's great stuff, unless you release it.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-18-2015, 6:10 AM Reply   
Has anyone done the auto setup in a wake boat? I like the idea of not having to open hatches and expose myself to the fire and allow it more oxygen. Had a local guy when winterizing accidentally hit the starter hot wire and lost his boat to fire.
Old     (alcarlaw1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-19-2015, 9:38 AM Reply   
There are lots of clean agent automatic systems out there, pretty much standard on al small craft in the UK, I have one in the engine bay on my xstar. As said earlier, Halon has been dropped by pretty much everybody (except the navy). Good reason for this. My clients use FM200 as the suppression system on their vessels (tankers and gas carriers). For little boats like ours, go buy a clean agent/FM200 extinguisher and if you really want, buy a manual release too just in case the glass temp bulb doesn't break. Also make sure you replace or service them as per manufacturer instructions.

Last edited by alcarlaw1; 01-19-2015 at 9:41 AM.