Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wgetty01)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-06-2011, 6:25 PM Reply   
The rudder has not been hit or anything but seems to have more play in it than before. That said I noticed there is a grease fitting inside the engine compartment on the runner housing. Will this decrease the play in the rudder if it is low on grease? We just picked it up from the service center and it was not greased as there was old residue on the fitting itself.

What typer of grease should i put into the fitting on the rudder housing??

Nor Cal mastercraft said a new "rudder port" was a couple hundy which is fine but I've never heard of one wearing out. We don't abuse the boat and it seems weird to think of it wearing out in only 4 years of light use.

I appreciate any and all input fellas'. Thanks!
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-06-2011, 6:29 PM Reply   
Pump it up with marine grade grease and you should be good to go
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       06-07-2011, 3:36 AM Reply   
It may not be to the point of being a problem just yet, but eventually it will wear out and your steering will get harder, then the seals will leak once the rudder shaft has enough play in the housing. It's just the brass housing itself the shaft rides on, unless they changed it to a replaceable bushing on the newer style (doubt it). Keeping it greased is not to take the play out of the rudder, it's to keep it for happening in the first place. If yours hasn't been greased regularly that could account for accelerated wear. Either way, grease it up and unless it's really bad and you're leaking water through the seals or it's very hard to steer under load, run it a few more seasons before worrying about it.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-07-2011, 8:16 AM Reply   
There is a large amount of play in a new rudder. It should be greased every oil change with marine grade grease. There are two "O" rings in the top that seal out the water. They will wear out and can be reasonably replaced every 3-6 years, depending upon use. Brackish water, water with a lot of suspended solids, or shallow water operation will wear it out much sooner. Pump it up with grease and see if you have in water coming out of the top while turning the rudder at idle speed. If so, replace the seals. The replacement of the rudder port is a last resort if there is wear on the rudder shaft and the inner sleeve. Typically, you replace together, as a unit.
Old     (iliketowakealot)      Join Date: May 2011       06-10-2011, 2:33 PM Reply   
I had to replace a rudder port on a 2006 maristar...The salt environment ate the threads of the zerk fitting. If you have to replace yours, Oj Props sells the replacement and its super easy to replace. In fact, there are four bolts that hold it together, just use a good sealant and the rest is easy. Search Mastercraft Team talk, there are a few good threads there explaining the process.