Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-21-2015, 8:11 AM Reply   
I'd like to start this off with a little background info on Taramps. They are an amplifier company out of brazil who make an amazingly efficient amplifier, basing their power off of resting battery voltage. Why do they do this? Well, because in Brazil audio competitions they run their set ups off of resting battery banks. (Hey sounds kind of familiar!)
They do not believe in running the charging system during their competitions/play time. (See where I'm headed?)
So, they build their amplifiers around battery banks. This is not something we are familiar with in America, as our competitions are based differently, and our amps are made differently. 90% of us use amps made in korea, with power based off of running, charging battery systems.
Taramps bases their rms from 12.6v, and what's even better, you can still make more power when the batteries are charging.
They make them in all shapes and sizes anywhere from 1000w-30k, and what's even better is they carry a very small footprint! Another thing in which us boaters are concerned about! Space! They utilize a different heatsink and use electric fans for cooling vs a massive Korean heatsink to cool.
It gets better though, they configure them to make full power in either 1ohm models, or 2ohm. So, effectively, you can run the amp at 2ohm and still get the entire power output, instead of dropping the ohms, and increasing the load, which also does what? Creates heat. We do not like heat, and I know some of your guys amps go into protect sometimes after hard play time, due to what? Heat.

The downfall these amps get knocked for, is they are somewhat more fragile. They should not be mounted to the box like some people like to do, the cystic vibration ruins these amps, but if mounted to the hull on am amp rack, like I'm sure most 99.9% of us do, it is a non issue! Also, they have assured me, because I was nervous about this after hearing about how they can not be box mointed, a rough water ride in the boat will NOT affect these amplifiers. Only the pulsing bass vibration when mounted to the box. The 2nd downfall, is again, based around battery banks, which most people do not want to have 3,4, or more batteries in their vehicles to provide for these amps. Well guess what! Isn't that what most of us have in our boats anyway? Don't let me lose you yet, I'm almost done.

So if we want to talk about efficiency, what if I told you, you could get your full 3000w rms, at 12.6v, running @ 2ohms from your amp! That's unheard of! But it gets better, that amp will produce even more power @ 13.8v as they base their output around that 12.6 voltage.

I know it seems foreign to us, well party because it is, but if we can get passed the numbers and ratings that we are used to, I think these Taramps are a no brainer for us in the boating world. They were designed exactly around what we do.
Battery banks resting playing music so we don't have to run our engines and rack hours just to hear our tunes.

I have no affiliation with this company, nor nothing to gain. I have simply spent a month researching the best options I can find to run my tunes efficiently, as this summer my build is quite substantial.
So with dollars and space a major aspect of savings, I set out to find the best option.

I thought I'd share a little info as this seems like the answer we all look for.
They also make multi channel amps as well based around the same principles.

And last but not least, price. They are pretty fairly priced imo.

So hop on Google and dig in a little, I think you'll all be pleasantly surprised and pleased with the outcome.
Old     (EarmarkMarine)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-21-2015, 9:26 AM Reply   
This post works best if you read it in Billy Mays' voice.

Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-21-2015, 9:40 AM Reply   
I'm serious. If you think about it, it follows pretty much along the lines of yalls coveted boner for the jl slash amps. Except those who need real power can get more than 1200w
It's no gimmick. Rather than call it hocus pocus, read up about them
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-21-2015, 11:53 AM Reply   
Jimmy Johnson's cup car makes 800hp, but only gets 60 miles on a tank, hows that for efficient.........Lots of wattage doesnt mean "efficient". Thats a term used in your post about 2 or 3 times, yet nothing shared with how their amp topology is actually efficient in comparison to any other amp.

What Korean amps do you have experience with?

Other than taking info from the taramps web site, what is your experience with them? Have you run them, tested them, abused them and if so, in what applications?

This guy can be Brad Pitt on Facebook, if he likes. Other than printed text from the manufacturer, whats the bench mark that has been used to measure these up to others?
Attached Images

Old     (BradM07SS)      Join Date: Jul 2011       03-21-2015, 11:54 AM Reply   
8000d for sale for $750 on our local Car Audio Classifieds, pretty cheap for that much power and size.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-21-2015, 12:02 PM Reply   
Talk to Sean at spl labs. He's very knowledgeable on these things.
Dc audio, sundown, digital designs, all these higher end amps are Korean built..I've used all of them.
I think 6500w @ 12.6v, with the ability to make that power down to 10.5v is pretty darn good. Don't you? How about 7800w from that same amp at 13.8v. At 1 or 2ohm. ?

You want efficient?
http://www.droppinhzcaraudio.com/taramps-hd-6500/

Last edited by Jmorlan; 03-21-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-21-2015, 12:04 PM Reply   
Efficiency is David's favorite word when talking highly of the jl amps, that make the same power at 12 or 14v or 2 or 4ohm.
But want to criticize these?

I will be throwing one in my boat to run my subs, and if anyone would like will report back on durability, power, etc.
Like I said, I have nothing to gain from this, other than potentially helping others out. So if it works, great. if no one else jumps on board, don't give a damn.

Last edited by Jmorlan; 03-21-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-21-2015, 12:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM07SS View Post
8000d for sale for $750 on our local Car Audio Classifieds, pretty cheap for that much power and size.
There's a guy who can get you that amp brand new right for 6-650
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-21-2015, 12:16 PM Reply   
There are guys who have clamped these, and info and results can be found on a few audio forums. Caraudioclassifieds forum has quite a bit of info, and tests. Sean (shizzon on CACO), can provide tons of info. He competes with them and among others who do. He has put them through the strides.

Taylor fade (tfade) also has experience with them, and is a very smart and we'll respected dude. And 4x world champ

Last edited by Jmorlan; 03-21-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-21-2015, 12:28 PM Reply   
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/ampli...ps-hd3000.html
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-21-2015, 12:32 PM Reply   
Are we talking north or south?

So asking for something to substantiate the claim of efficiency, is being critical of the amp? So, i;ll ask again, what makes an amp that the manufacturer claims produces 6500W rms @ 12.6V, efficient?

Im not sure I want to be running my system when the static voltage is 10.5V.

ef·fi·cien·cy
əˈfiSHənsē/
noun
the state or quality of being efficient.
"greater energy efficiency"
synonyms: organization, order, orderliness, regulation, coherence; More
an action designed to achieve this.
plural noun: efficiencies
"to increase efficiencies and improve earnings"
technical
the ratio of the useful work performed by a machine or in a process to the total energy expended or heat taken in.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-21-2015, 2:18 PM Reply   
Had a friend buy one of those for his boat. He tried running 2 13w7s on the HD5000watt Taramp, and it didn't cut it. We threw an inductive ammeter on it, and it wasn't acheiving anything above 115amps (at 13.5-14v while running)...... Which means it was barely breaking 1500watts peak, say nothing about RMS. He returned it and bucked up the extra $300 for a JL HD1200, which ran a steady 155 amps, and hit peaks of 170amps (roughly 2200watts). The JLs are always underrated. Cheap amps are always overrated. You get what you pay for....... I expected the thing to at least hit half of its advertised rating. Not quite.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-21-2015, 2:30 PM Reply   
Can I ask what ohm load those 2 w7s were? Because I already know the answer.
And these amps are VERY sensitive to ohm load.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-21-2015, 2:50 PM Reply   
Was a 1.5 ohm load. 2 JL 13w7s series wired voice coils (creates 3 ohm load per sub) the two subs were wired in parallel, bringing the load back down to 1.5 ohms. Amp was rated for 5k at 1 ohm, and roughly 4300 at 1.5 ohms. It achieved about 1/3 of that.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-21-2015, 3:00 PM Reply   
They're 1 ohm stable, yet sensitive? No amp worth 2 chits should be "sensitive" across its safe operating range. If the amp produces the same output at both 1 and 2 ohm, then what would the issue be with 1.5 ohm?
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-21-2015, 3:53 PM Reply   
Sorry, figured it would be .75 ohm and they will not play below that,1ohm.
Well jdk, I've read good things about them and I'm going to give it a shot. If it doesn't work I'll pick up a dc 5.0k
If it does work, I'll be tickled pink
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-21-2015, 5:11 PM Reply   
I wouldn't say it was junk. It seemed like a good $500-$600 amp. If you are looking for 1200 watts, it will do it. Not even close to 5k though. I'm wondering what kind of stereo really needs 5k watts RMS for subs though?? That system would be sure to do one thing...... Piss people off.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-21-2015, 5:50 PM Reply   
I have no reason to suggest that you not try this amplifier. But before you start gulping down that Koolaid by the bucket full, I see nothing at all that is novel about this amplifier.
"Efficiency" describes how much power an amplifier delivers as a ratio of the power it consumes.
These amplifiers have a DC to DC converter, and the power supplies usually run at over 90% efficiency anyway. The output section of a Class D amplifier may also operate at over 90% efficiency. So the two sections collectively produce over 80% efficiency. Now with each of these two separate amplifier sections operating over 90% as the norm, that does not provide much window for improvement.
I've never thought of fan cooling as superior, just a cheaper way to build an amplifier and avoid the very expensive higher mass heat sinks. With this type of construction, when and if the fan fails the amplifier is out of commission. Not especially large fans for that much power either.
Certainly nothing impressed me about the very basic input sections.
Looking inside the amplifier from the photos, I see all the same topology and components of a classic Class D amplifier. Although I did see two output filter inductors on a single channel monoblock which could be an indication that this amplifier already runs in a bridged push/pull configuration.
Many amplifiers provide the 12.6 volt power rating. Just because a brand does this doesn't mean they are predisposed to superior performance at that particular supply level. Nor are these amplifiers regulated.
I see a lot of information taken out of context related to what the real performance is. Too much hoping and wishing for me.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-21-2015, 8:49 PM Reply   
I need a minimum of 2000w rms to push my woofers. So I sure hope this thing does what people say it does. If not I'll return it and figure out another route
Old     (EarmarkMarine)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-21-2015, 11:01 PM Reply   
There is no free ride, and you get what you pay for. This always holds true, there are no exceptions. There are rare bargains and exceptional values, but in general the superior product has a higher price, and for very valid reasons. I have found this to hold true in every aspect of life, whether buying amplifiers or boats or vehicles or watches or firearms or guitars or single malt scotch. The best always costs more.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-22-2015, 6:38 AM Reply   
You guys act like these are cheap Pyle or boss amps. When I said fairly priced, I didn't mean they were $200. That 6500hd is $629. Wasn't exactly cheap, for. 6500w, I do believe it was fairly priced.
Also I think fixable didn't have their gains set correctly. The best way I can relate these Brazilian amp technologies is a gas vs a diesel motor. Completely different than the Korean stuff.
I think you guys are knocking this stuff too soon because it is foreign to you. And honestly, I didn't expect anything different from wakeworld.

Last edited by Jmorlan; 03-22-2015 at 6:40 AM.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       03-22-2015, 6:50 AM Reply   
I'd have to go look at the brand but I bought some supposedly high end speakers from a manufacturer in Brazil for peanuts on clearance, like 20 bucks thinking ill sell them on craigs if they suck. They sound amazing! Wish I would've bought two pairs
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       03-22-2015, 6:51 AM Reply   
Bravox, that was the manufactur
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-22-2015, 7:06 AM Reply   
Wetsounds are also made in Brazil btw
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-22-2015, 7:46 AM Reply   
Okay, I'm not suggesting that these amplifiers aren't good . Give it a shot. Only time will tell if these hold up.
But much of this discussion is filled with so much misinformation.
Some of Wetsounds speakers are made by a Brazilian manufacturer but none of the electronics are. Aren't we discussing electronics?
Far, far more amplifiers come from China than Korea. "Korean" is just repeating what someone stated on the internet somewhere. But it is inaccurate as it is being used here.
Gas vs. diesel? Completely different technology? Exactly how is the technology different? It would be nice to see that claim backed up with anything technical.
I saw no major differences inside the chassis. Certainly rating an amplifier at 12.6 volts is nothing new. I've never seen Brazil at the forefront of anything except....well, never mind.
Old     (BradM07SS)      Join Date: Jul 2011       03-22-2015, 8:31 AM Reply   
I got some wanting my sundown 3500, I think I'm going to go with the new scv 4000 from Sundown it's suppose to be more efficient than there saz series. B stock is around $800 and does more than rated.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-22-2015, 10:49 AM Reply   
If this doesn't work out, I'll be going with the soundqubed 4500.1
Old     (BradM07SS)      Join Date: Jul 2011       03-22-2015, 11:28 AM Reply   
That's a good choice also. I had the 2200 and loved it.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-22-2015, 2:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer808 View Post
I'd have to go look at the brand but I bought some supposedly high end speakers from a manufacturer in Brazil for peanuts on clearance, like 20 bucks thinking ill sell them on craigs if they suck. They sound amazing! Wish I would've bought two pairs
Where'd you buy them at? Or do they no longer have them? I'm on the lookout for some cheaper speakers for my truck.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       03-25-2015, 5:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
Where'd you buy them at? Or do they no longer have them? I'm on the lookout for some cheaper speakers for my truck.
I'd have to dig thru emails, I found them online a few years back when i was ordering cables and accessories for my install
Old     (reckless7)      Join Date: Mar 2015       03-25-2015, 5:48 AM Reply   
Let me know too Bravox subwoofers look awesome.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-25-2015, 5:55 AM Reply   
it was partsexpress.com that had the bravox blowout. Someone pointed out that bravox branded versions of essentially the exact same speaker that a prominent marine audio company sells were on blowout for around $50 a pair. Pretty sure he got banned over it.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-25-2015, 8:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
Check out soundqubed.
Old     (reckless7)      Join Date: Mar 2015       03-25-2015, 9:28 AM Reply   
Man, thats got to be the best car audio deal I have ever heard. I would have bought 10 of the subs and powered it with a 10,000 watt amp!

Does Bravox make tower speakers? I think I'm going to have to fly to Brazil for my next vacation.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-25-2015, 3:18 PM Reply   
Jmorlan, regardless if the test is a success or not I appreciate the info Nd research put into it and your willingness to share. Seems the negative comments are so quick when you were just excited about a potential product that could be of interest to some people. I'm following and look forward to hearing your thoughts after the install.