Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-21-2014, 1:33 PM Reply   
I got a weird problem. I can ride all day wakeboarding, but as soon as I load up a few bags for surfing my PP will go almost exactly 1 minute 15 seconds and start cycling on and off. I have a DIY gate so the boat isn't listed way over. I tried it several times with a stop watch. Once it starts cycling it will do it for about 30 seconds or so and then power on normally. Anyone have a clue? 2 weekends in a row our day was cut short. I thought it was a bad connection but I looked and checked them all and they seem to be good. I don't have to do anything to the boat for it to come back on just wait it out. I did a full reset on the PP thinking that would help but it didn't. Open for suggestions.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-21-2014, 1:50 PM Reply   
Oh its the stargazer edition.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-21-2014, 7:19 PM Reply   
You probably have the wakeboard edition.
Old     (cassidyb)      Join Date: Feb 2012       09-21-2014, 9:05 PM Reply   
dont really know whats going on in your situation but i know that any time ive had problems with PP cycling on/off it was due to low voltage and that PP is very sensitive to low voltage....
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-22-2014, 4:49 AM Reply   
Yeah i guess its a sign huh seth?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-22-2014, 6:06 AM Reply   
Low voltage would be my guess too. Charge your starting battery and go out and see if it work better.

I put a system in my boat this year and I've had problems with perfect pass ever since. I thought it was perfect pass until I charged the starting battery and left the perko set on 1 which is just the starting battery. My alternator can't keep up with the system and two batteries plus lights and ballast.

Your probably draining the battery pretty good while filling the ballast.
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-22-2014, 6:33 AM Reply   
Check all of your grounds and power for corrosion, and wires for chafing or limp sections (cracks) all the way back to the batteries. As you are aware, some of the wires from the upgrade box are very thin and PP requires a fair amount of clean power to the master box. Perhaps running a separate larger gauge wire from the battery to the PP or dash feed will fix the problem. Your additional lights and even your overpowered stereo may be the culprits. Same goes if you powered your DIY gates from the dash circuit, but that would only happen when moving the tabs. Ensuring your batteries and alternator are strong is a good idea as well.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-22-2014, 7:16 AM Reply   
Seems like good advice, but its not happening when I'm filling. Only when loaded for surfing. My gate is a bolt on, not powered. I can go all day wakeboarding. I can check the voltage though can't hurt. I was searching for solutions on some of the other forums and i ran across this one. http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...er#entry724482
Sounds exactly like what im experiencing minus the black smoke, sure seems like an odd way to cause my PP to go crazy though.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-22-2014, 8:01 AM Reply   
With PP's voltage sensitivity, I'd definitely start with that check as others have mentioned. It could be an indication of an alternator or battery on its way out.

Does your boat run normally if you shutdown or kill power to the PP? That issue from TMC you linked to seems like a long shot for what you're describing, but who knows.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-22-2014, 9:00 AM Reply   
If I've been cranking the tunes for awhile, my PP will sometimes act up in a similar way. Then, I'll go switch by Perko to both and the problem goes away.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-22-2014, 9:30 AM Reply   
I'm going to check the voltages, any clues as to why it only happens when surfing? It's been driving me nuts. We only have a few more weeks of riding time so id like to get it resolved before i put it away for the winter.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-22-2014, 9:51 AM Reply   
Just throwing this out there but it could be your draining the batteries setting up you ballast to surf then your not turn enough rpms while surfing to let the alternator catch up.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-22-2014, 10:00 AM Reply   
I think loaded with stock 700# 2 750's in the rear a 600 in the nose and 350 under surf side seats i have to run at about 3300-3400 RPM's to go 10.7 to 11. (thats totally from memory, might be a little off) but i would think that would be enough. And i dont usually shut off the boat to fill, read too many places about the johnsons having a fairly high draw. IDK I'll take a meter with me to the lake this week to try and see if thats whats happening.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-22-2014, 10:04 AM Reply   
I've been under that dash too much over the past few weekends chasing what i thought was a loose connection. Maybe I should get " stranded " to pursuade the Mrs. into getting a new boat. : )
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-22-2014, 11:03 AM Reply   
maybe while listed all of the voltage runs to the other side of the boat?

sorry just had to be a dick
seriously though, I had a problem with the connection where the PP got its voltage signal/voltage from. same wire that ran to my battery gauge on the dash. sometimes it would be ok but others it would give me problems. both my dash gage and PP would show low voltage and PP would come on and off. when I would meter the voltage at the batteries it was fine. I redid the connection and all is good. I think the connection was sitting right where water would leak down from rain.

not sure why it would only do it while surfing though???
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-22-2014, 11:09 AM Reply   
I didnt think you were being a dick.....i laughed. I havent really checked the battery connections because the problem goes away if im not surfing. Its the craziest thing to find i've ever had. Really starting to think more about that other link over on the malibu crew. The rpms are higher when surfing and if my fuel pressure gets to fluctuating can it send a fault code to shut everything down?
Old     (cassidyb)      Join Date: Feb 2012       09-22-2014, 11:23 AM Reply   
are you listed while surfing? check your fluid levels in the batteries....
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-22-2014, 11:29 AM Reply   
Only listed slightly, but i'll check that too. I'm open to any and all sggestions.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-28-2014, 8:25 PM Reply   
Well replaced the fuel pressure regulator as the link suggested, didn't fix the problem. Voltages were fine never dropped below 12.5. I can surf if I don't load all the ballast, but if I fully load it all it goes 1:15 seconds almost exactly before shutting down. I have no idea what to do. This is the craziest thing. The only thing I can think to do now is get a code reader on it to see if it can give me any insight.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-29-2014, 9:15 AM Reply   
Im not even sure what issue im chasing ( PP or engine ). We rode for about 4 hours this past weekend boarding with no issues. As soon as i load it up it goes nuts, but if i drain some of it off it does fine. I dont hear any crazy whine or noise in my stereo ( other than when the volume is way down, but i was told that was normal for HLCD's? ). I also ran with it almost wide open across the lake and it didnt cut off, didnt have the PP set though. I guess my next step is to disconnect the PP and load it up for surfing to see if it still happens. Open to other suggestions as well.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-29-2014, 4:50 PM Reply   
Please keep us posted on what you find.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-01-2014, 10:04 AM Reply   
Does anyone know if there is perhaps a vdrive temp sensor on these boats, i know i dont have a guage for it but could it be sending a shut down signal?
I'm going to check the lines for any blockages tonight or tomorrow ( can't hurt right? )
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       10-01-2014, 10:14 AM Reply   
change the PP gain and tuning.

Try running it in RPM mode while surfing and see what happens.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-12-2014, 4:54 PM Reply   
Well whatever the issue is its now way worse. We were boarding and tubing for about 5 hours today. Loaded up for some end of the day surfing, my son actually got 3 runs in no issues. Not sure how long they were but longer than the magic 1:15 so im thinking it was a KDW issue. I get a comfy seat to start doing some filming and bam the boat quits, this time completely dead no power to the dash at all, had to get the tow of shame to end the evening. Guess I'll get out there tomorrow to start chasing the fuse or whatever is wrong.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-12-2014, 9:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyb View Post
dont really know whats going on in your situation but i know that any time ive had problems with PP cycling on/off it was due to low voltage and that PP is very sensitive to low voltage....
yup! Im sure the cycling has something to do with capacitors draining/filling/draining
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       10-13-2014, 9:59 AM Reply   
Email Mark at perfect pass..

He'll have the exact answer for you..

markschwarz@eastlink.ca
Old     (cassidyb)      Join Date: Feb 2012       10-16-2014, 4:43 PM Reply   
any update or resolution?
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-17-2014, 5:32 AM Reply   
I haven't really tried to find the issue. Been crazy around my house with kids school stuff. I will def be getting out there this weekend.