Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-23-2014, 12:50 PM Reply   
http://www.ksby.com/news/new-laws-fo...ornia-boaters/

I think it's about time. There are too many idiots out there. I think it's a good idea for people to at least learn some basics and pass a basic boating test and have to get some sort license to regularly operate a boat. It'll be especially good for all those pwc operators out there.

http://www.sfgate.com/outdoors/artic...or-5800454.php

http://www.dailypilot.com/opinion/tn...,3079045.story
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       10-23-2014, 12:56 PM Reply   
About freaking time.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-23-2014, 2:14 PM Reply   
it's not for 10 more years! haha!
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-24-2014, 8:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettw View Post
http://www.ksby.com/news/new-laws-fo...ornia-boaters/

I think it's about time. There are too many idiots out there. I think it's a good idea for people to at least learn some basics and pass a basic boating test and have to get some sort license to regularly operate a boat. It'll be especially good for all those pwc operators out there.

http://www.sfgate.com/outdoors/artic...or-5800454.php

http://www.dailypilot.com/opinion/tn...,3079045.story
WA and OR have had the requirement for a boater's card for years...

And this:

Quote:
Personal watercrafts account for only 13 percent of registered boats and yet were involved in 65 percent of accidents, among the worst safety records among participants of any outdoor sport.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-24-2014, 8:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
it's not for 10 more years! haha!
Yeah, they sure aren't breaking any speed records with this one.

Quote:
SB941 will be phased in over the next 10 years and requires anyone operating a boat to pass a safety course and written test.

A person age 20 or younger by Jan. 1, 2018

Age 25 or younger, 2019

Age 35 years or younger, 2020

Age 40 or younger, 2021

Age 45 or younger, 2022

Age 50 or younger, 2023

Age 60 years or younger, 2024

All persons, regardless of age, 2025
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       10-24-2014, 9:29 AM Reply   
NV also has a boaters card for drivers under a certain age (do not remember what the age requirement was, I just know I was below it and required)
I've had my card for about 5 years now.
Was pulled over on my jet ski, after owning it for 3 years and never hearing of such a thing, and well informed by the nv game warden
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-24-2014, 7:39 PM Reply   
They should make a requirement for anyone purchasing a new PWC or boat to have one.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-30-2014, 2:33 PM Reply   
Exclusions for people renting a boat or PWC. Do we rent cars to people who are not licensed?
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       10-30-2014, 3:56 PM Reply   
Just another money maker for a control freak liberal state. We have licensing here, essentially. Tidal waters require a certificate from a USCG approved safety course of about 8 hours class time and non tidal waters (basically one lake in the whole state, excepting a few very small lakes) require a license, which is just paying the state $20 each drivers license renewal and showing them proof of completing a safety class. Big money maker for the state and those connected with the state. No benefit that I can see.

Plenty of people on the water without a clue, same thrice a year types with expensive I/O and whole family in tow miracle they survive the weekend, basically plenty who have taken teh course and don't give a damn. Then there are countless guys on jet skis who are out all the time because anybody can scrounge up $500 to buy a beater ski, put it in the back of a $500 minivan, and drag it down the ramp. These types probably don't take the class to the tune of $100 or so, or do and just don't care. The classes are not hard, it's basic knowledge that anyone who grew up around boats knows or can figure out from 15 minutes with the state boating laws handbook. In the class I went to there were two guys who didn't speak english, sat through the 8 hour class, and were guided through to test to pass. They could be fine boaters and just don't know the language the class and test were in, or they could be the typical guys on jet skis using the public ramp as their personal dock all day long. No idea. Point is, the tests and classes are to line the State's pockets and the pockets of those who lobby the state.

What do you guys who advocate licensing and so forth want? An actual practical test on the water? That might work to weed out other types but it's as unenforceable as the current system. The river here is littered with coasties, state police, rangers, and CGA and clowns are out all the time, the authorities won't mess with those guys because they either don't have any money, often no papers so too much of a paint for the authorities. Mr. thrice a year is the money maker because he's legit but either drives like an idiot risking damage or injury to others or had a few too many by the end of the day. Payday right there. Beyond that testing would be ridiculous. Gonna test for a single engine trailer boat launch retrieve, docking I/O as well as inboard single engine boats? Gotta test twins as well. Better pass certain skills in a cruiser and a go fast too. Docking and launch retrieval should probably be tested in various conditions at least one test on still water and another on a windy day with some chop and boat wakes coming in. If not, it'll be as much a joke as it currently is, or as the tests for driving a car are. Motorcycle tests are kind of skill tests, but of course everyone just uses a scooter or light dual sport for the test then hops on their liter bike.

Biggest thing to make the water more pleasant and safe is expensive gas. When it was over $4 there were a lot less idiots on the water, but of course I don't want gas to go up a few bucks again. More government is not gonna improve things on the water IMO, just more of a pain and expense for the rest of us while the clowns keep on clowning around.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-31-2014, 10:20 AM Reply   
They did this up here in Canada a few years ago. It hasn't changed anything. It's just another money grab.