Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (imoore)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-30-2016, 4:00 PM Reply   
I have been debating on which type of wakesurf shaper to buy. I just found this pretty great article. I'm leaning towards the Ronix Wakesurf Shaper XL...

https://activewatersports.wordpress....16/09/30/1432/
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       10-01-2016, 5:06 AM Reply   
No! Tsunami wakes. You have 3 holes for adjust the face outwards or leaned back like a surf gate. It's 139.00 . Got mine late summer and the adjustability of the face/wave makes the favorite of all the ones we tried.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       10-01-2016, 5:07 AM Reply   
Tsunamiwakes.com.

I should note I have go surf assist on my boat and we prefer the face of the tsunami for cleaner more height wave. GSA makes it very long but no steep face.
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-03-2016, 5:02 PM Reply   
I got the Wakeshaper at the in spring before all the other ones showed up. Everyone who has ridden behind it likes it. It does make the wave better. It is simple to use, no parts to break, no metal to deal with.

The things I don't like: velcro on the side of the boat (of course messes with the graphics); the velcro is pealing on the wakeshaper and the boat. In rougher water it has popped off the boat (it does float and is easy to find and you immediately feel its off as the driver). Because it floats it can be difficult to put on at times.

Yes we like it....but maybe one of the cheaper products will work as well. Not changing at this time.

Boat - 2015 - V215 Sanger running 900 lbs in each locker 450 up front and 300 in the center.
Old     (WakeSurf22)      Join Date: Dec 2016       12-26-2016, 6:51 PM Reply   
Hi all,
I'm a semi-retired competitive wakeboarders turned wakesurfers (getting old and easier on the back) and wanted to create a wake shaper product that was engineered, had stylish design and was affordable, just wanted to share as we feel we've done some things a little different from the competition.
- We used FEA analysis to design the shape and curvature to minimize outward pressure on the suction cups while displacing the most water (I'm a geek Engineer by trade). This allows for maximized suction.
- It's built from aluminum alloy with bull-nosed/rounded edges and an extra thick powder coat finish to protect riders and the boat.
- We incorporated the cups and levers into the design rather than buying a glass puller and bolting it to a product. Creates a streamline look, doesn't impact water flow and we used stainless bolts and nylock nuts.
- We wanted a stylish sleek design that fits with the style of wake sports and boats. Wanted something users would be proud to carry down their dock and attach to their boat.
- Lastly, it's affordable and we want to make the customer happy. Less than $200, free Koozie, flat shipping, lanyard included and we're working to develop a brand not just a product.

Sorry for the long post and plug, we're passionate about the sport and want to spread it. Please check it out and would love feedback.
www.nauticurl.com
Attached Images

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       12-27-2016, 8:49 AM Reply   
The best one for me was the one that I made myself for under $15, using an evening after work.

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-28-2016, 11:42 AM Reply   
I can second the NautiCurl. I have one of those it works great, plus it looks awesome! Using it on my Old 2000 MasterCraft X-Star total game changer!! The wake is bigger, the pocket is longer, and there way more push.
Attached Images

Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       12-29-2016, 3:34 AM Reply   
I like the nauti design.
Old     (WakeSurf22)      Join Date: Dec 2016       12-29-2016, 11:22 AM Reply   
Thank you Jack and Andy! Appreciate the compliments. We worked hard to create something unique and stylish that performed well!
Cheers and happy holidays!
NautiCurl
We have a $20 off special going on w/code WAKE20
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-11-2017, 3:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeSurf22 View Post
Thank you Jack and Andy! Appreciate the compliments. We worked hard to create something unique and stylish that performed well!
Cheers and happy holidays!
NautiCurl
We have a $20 off special going on w/code WAKE20
Any plans to make the face or that fin on the back adjustable? I get different waves on my boat playing with the adjustable GSA tabs and my tsunamiwake face is adjustable from a tall wall of water to linger peaky lip ocean curl. Nice having the ability to create different waves on one hull
Old     (WakeSurf22)      Join Date: Dec 2016       01-11-2017, 1:35 PM Reply   
Hi Racer808,
We ran a number of angles and shapes through our analysis and testing on a variety of boats. We landed on the current degree due to it's balanced wave shape leaning towards the taller wave of water. We found that the wall can be shaped to a longer wave with the curly lip you mentioned by locating the Wake Shaper further up the hull (towards to bow).

As it sounds like you've noticed, the shape of the wave is somewhat of an art and can be modified by adjusting location of the NautiCurl Wake Shaper, degree of a shaper and balance of the balasts (more weight in the bow creates a longer wave, more weight in the rear creates a taller/stronger wave).

Thank you for your comment, that sounds like a potential v2 of the NautiCurl Wake Shaper. We're working on getting some distributors in the US, Australia and have a recent inquire from Japan...new products will be a priority.

Cheers and thanks again for the feedback.
NautiCurl.com

Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       01-12-2017, 7:08 AM Reply   
If you haven't made a DIY suckgate then you may not realize the best part of this design... having the suction cup locks easily reach. My DIY one works good enough but getting the front one locked in is always a royal PITA. Considering buying this product just for that reason.

Also a fan of having the water deflector in the back so you can position it all the way back on the hull. My DIY can only get it a foot away because it's mounted in the front. Props on a good design.

How much flex does that deflector have when running?

Quote:
Hi Racer808,
We ran a number of angles and shapes through our analysis and testing on a variety of boats. We landed on the current degree due to it's balanced wave shape leaning towards the taller wave of water. We found that the wall can be shaped to a longer wave with the curly lip you mentioned by locating the Wake Shaper further up the hull (towards to bow).

As it sounds like you've noticed, the shape of the wave is somewhat of an art and can be modified by adjusting location of the NautiCurl Wake Shaper, degree of a shaper and balance of the balasts (more weight in the bow creates a longer wave, more weight in the rear creates a taller/stronger wave).

Thank you for your comment, that sounds like a potential v2 of the NautiCurl Wake Shaper. We're working on getting some distributors in the US, Australia and have a recent inquire from Japan...new products will be a priority.

Cheers and thanks again for the feedback.
NautiCurl.com

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-12-2017, 8:47 AM Reply   
Chase, Mine has zero Flex. I think I could run it over with my truck and it would be okay. Its really heavy duty.
Old     (WakeSurf22)      Join Date: Dec 2016       01-21-2017, 6:46 PM Reply   
ChaseR720 - There's no flex in the deflector at 13 mph, aircraft grade aluminum is fully rigid, we engineered and tested to assure proper strength. Thanks for your feedback too Andy_Nintzel!

Thank you for the compliment on the ease of accessibility, we noticed this issue with many of the products and made this a priority with our design.

Jacked after meeting 2 wakeboard greats at the Minneapolis Boat Show today, Nauticurl Wake Shaper joining in of course. Thanks to Danny Harf and Bob Soven, pleasure meeting you!
Attached Images

Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       02-05-2017, 7:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
I can second the NautiCurl. I have one of those it works great, plus it looks awesome! Using it on my Old 2000 MasterCraft X-Star total game changer!! The wake is bigger, the pocket is longer, and there way more push.
Does the NautiCurl come with a tether or does it float? It's not a deal breaker, im sure Home Depot has something I could use to rig it up.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-06-2017, 4:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseR720 View Post
My DIY one works good enough but getting the front one locked in is always a royal PITA.
When I made my DIY version I cut a 1"x3" hole in the front for access to the lever. It partially stick out and is easy to lock or unlock.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-06-2017, 10:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrie141 View Post
Does the NautiCurl come with a tether or does it float? It's not a deal breaker, im sure Home Depot has something I could use to rig it up.
Ryan, It doesnt float but it comes with a Paracord Lanyard.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       02-06-2017, 1:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Ryan, It doesnt float but it comes with a Paracord Lanyard.
Perfect! Thanks, Andy!
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-16-2017, 7:39 AM Reply   
Has anyone tried the Nauticurl on a Sanger V215? I made a DIY suck gate for mine last summer and the hard part is getting the suction cups on with the curvature of the hull. My DIY gate could fit but wasn't made of metal. I like the looks of the nauticurl and how more compact it seems. I'd be interested in ordering one if knew it would fit.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       02-16-2017, 9:34 AM Reply   
I ordered one....cant wait to try it out. It is WAY thicker/sturdier than I imagined it would be. Very nice product.
Old     (WakeSurf22)      Join Date: Dec 2016       02-16-2017, 3:14 PM Reply   
Hi Guys,
Ryan - Yes as Andy mentioned, there's a high-strength lanyard included. Thx Andy!
RM - Unfortunately we don't have record of one on a Sanger V215, we do have a money back guarantee if you'd like to give it a shot.
Bill - Thank you very much for joining the NautiCurl team and really appreciate your compliments!!

All - I also wanted to share that we're now proudly carrying Doomswell WakeSurf Boards, combine with our NautiCurl Wake Shaper for $50 OFF your order with code: WAVECOMBO.

Spring is almost here!!! Can't wait to get back on the water!
www.nauticurl.com
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-17-2017, 6:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM_DLX View Post
Has anyone tried the Nauticurl on a Sanger V215? I made a DIY suck gate for mine last summer and the hard part is getting the suction cups on with the curvature of the hull. My DIY gate could fit but wasn't made of metal. I like the looks of the nauticurl and how more compact it seems. I'd be interested in ordering one if knew it would fit.
I'm no expert but looking at the Sanger V215 hull pictures I just looked up it seems like the NautiCurl would fit great on that step down of the hull, reminds me a lot on the step down on my X-Star where I mount my Shaper. It would be real nice and low on the hull.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-17-2017, 7:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
I'm no expert but looking at the Sanger V215 hull pictures I just looked up it seems like the NautiCurl would fit great on that step down of the hull, reminds me a lot on the step down on my X-Star where I mount my Shaper. It would be real nice and low on the hull.
I doubt it would. The wakeshaper I built using the handle on demand wouldn't fit there. Its not a big deal for me to mount it above that since I have 1100 lb ballast upgrades in each corner to sack the back end down. The curvature of the hull is the part that I am most concerned about. The V215 has a lot of curvature and isn't real flat sided like some boats.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-17-2017, 8:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
I doubt it would. The wakeshaper I built using the handle on demand wouldn't fit there. Its not a big deal for me to mount it above that since I have 1100 lb ballast upgrades in each corner to sack the back end down. The curvature of the hull is the part that I am most concerned about. The V215 has a lot of curvature and isn't real flat sided like some boats.
Ahhh, I follow you. I was just looking at pics and not at one in person.
Old     (2004gravitygames)      Join Date: Mar 2011       02-20-2017, 5:41 PM Reply   
The Mission Delta Universal worked really well for us this summer but I like the looks of the Nauti Curl and the price point I would have bought one of those if I would
have seen it first but all in all it is amazing at the difference it makes in the wave so glad to get away from listing the boat. If you don't have a wake shaper do yourself
a favor and buy one before your season starts it will change your summer. I wish I would have bought mine sooner.
Old     (OSUBUCKS)      Join Date: Feb 2017       02-24-2017, 6:16 AM Reply   
I just ordered the Nauti Curl, 2 reasons I pulled the trigger now... before I have my boat... and before summer time.
1. They are giving money back guarantee until 07/17... so gives me may and June to try it out...
2. I have read else where that Malibu Boats have a lock down coming on Patent issues... I hope this is not the case but want to have one of these before prices skyrocket because of supply and demand.
ok...3 it looks like a really good design.. maybe minus some adjustability....
Old     (WakeSurf22)      Join Date: Dec 2016       03-18-2017, 7:26 PM Reply   
Hey all!
I'm the founder of NautiCurl, we've Engineered and Developed a Suction Style Wake Shaper and are amazed with the difference it's making for people and appreciate all the support we've received! We're working on expanding our product offering (boards etc), but are interested in the needs/wants of the WakeSurf community. We're working on WakeSurf games, LED lighting and a Shaper specific to X2's, but are looking for ideas and ways we can help continue the growth of this rad sport!

Please share your thoughts and ideas!
Would also like to offer a discount to the Wakeworld community, please use code: WORLD20 for $20 off your order a NautiCurl.com (good til 4-16-17)
Stay Surf Giddy!
Attached Images

Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-19-2017, 6:34 PM Reply   
I just ordered one and used the code. Thanks!

I will report the results this spring.
Old     (WakeSurf22)      Join Date: Dec 2016       03-19-2017, 7:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I just ordered one and used the code. Thanks!

I will report the results this spring.
Appreciated LW, will ship out tomorrow!
Thanks for joining the NautiCurl team, looking forward to your feedback!
Surf on!
Old     (macpres)      Join Date: Jul 2016       03-22-2017, 4:25 PM Reply   
Guys, wanted to extend a special coupon code for WW members for the SWELL Wakesurf Creator, 15% off for a limited time, WW15%

Let me know if you have any questions, 2017 Model FLOATS! Retails for $229, as always made in the USA, and is ready to ship next day!

Old     (WakeSurf22)      Join Date: Dec 2016       03-24-2017, 5:59 PM Reply   
We dug out some of our old sponsor reach videos before we retired from wakeboarding...you gotta check these out! Back when you get away with permanently mounting sliders in the lake and when our backs permitted 313s, inverts and 720s - the good ole days!

NautiCurl Crew 2003 Wakeboard Teaser

Huckers - Wakeboard Vid

NautiCurl is now proud to offer Brigade, Doomswell and soon iDol Boards...building a "Stand Sideways" Brand!

Take advantage of our current discounts:
WAVECOMBO1 - $50 off a Shaper/Board combo
WORLD20 - $20 off a NautiCurl Wake Shaper
Cheers!
NautiCurl.com
Old     (WaBackcountry7)      Join Date: Jun 2015       03-25-2017, 9:20 PM Reply   
Reading this thread is like watching a commercial. I haven't been on here in awhile. The moderators here allow manufacturers to hijack threads like this?
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-26-2017, 6:06 AM Reply   
What's interesting is that all these aftermarket devices, that are for sale, are basically patterned of the DIY version based on the $7 Harbor Freight panel carrier. Surely there must be something better than a design that's main advantages are, that is the easy to build with the cheapest parts available.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-04-2017, 12:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Hey all!
I'm the founder of NautiCurl, we've Engineered and Developed a Suction Style Wake Shaper and are amazed with the difference it's making for people and appreciate all the support we've received! We're working on expanding our product offering (boards etc), but are interested in the needs/wants of the WakeSurf community. We're working on WakeSurf games, LED lighting and a Shaper specific to X2's, but are looking for ideas and ways we can help continue the growth of this rad sport!

Please share your thoughts and ideas!
Would also like to offer a discount to the Wakeworld community, please use code: WORLD20 for $20 off your order a NautiCurl.com (good til 4-16-17)
Stay Surf Giddy!
So you jacked the price from $195 to $219 but then offer a $20 off code here? Was just about to order until seeing that.
Old     (macpres)      Join Date: Jul 2016       04-04-2017, 12:58 PM Reply   
RM, we think we have a premium product and offer wakeworld members 15% off. WW15% is our coupon code. It floats and is made in the USA, you will love it.

www.swellwake.com - and as always we have a money back guarantee, until 7/1/17!
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-04-2017, 2:31 PM Reply   
I received my Nauticurl today. It will be weeks before I can test it, but it seems very well made and a lot more professional than the last one I tried.

And I don't mind some guys adding their products and discounts to the thread. Its hard to know which of the devices are good, the last one I bought fell apart in 3 seconds, literally. It was made with a 3D printer. Junk. Plus I noticed the nautical guys actually wakeboard and made videos back in the day, so now I'm glad I bought their product.

Last edited by 501s; 04-04-2017 at 2:34 PM.
Old     (stxdeadI)      Join Date: Oct 2016       04-05-2017, 6:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
So you jacked the price from $195 to $219 but then offer a $20 off code here? Was just about to order until seeing that.
Busted haha, was looking into the nauticurl as well being that they aren't just a diy suck gate like the swell till I saw this. Just ordered the stuff for the DIY version yesterday
Old     (WakeSurf22)      Join Date: Dec 2016       04-06-2017, 7:12 AM Reply   
Hi RPM,
Increasing the price was a difficult decision we made to move into distribution. Additionally, as we're a new LLC business with a new boating/action-sport product, the liability insurance is quite expensive increasing overhead. We minimized the increase and still feel it's a great price. NautiCurl is a small business working hard and thoughtfully to grow our business in a space we're passionate about. We offered a temporary discount on the forum to help bring awareness to our brand and other product offering and offer passionate riders a discount. Hope you and others understand.

501s - Thank you for your support and feedback, comments like that go a long way for us! You're right, we've been wakeboarding since the skurfer and when wakeboard bindings were sandals...that was a treat on the ankles on failed inverts We competed for many years with some very supportive sponsors, something we're hoping to do for young riders as well soon.

Cheers and happy Surfing!
Nauticurl.com
Code: WORLD20 is still good til 4/16/17 - $20 off
Old     (Rugger)      Join Date: May 2016       04-11-2017, 6:16 AM Reply   
Heard good things about Nauticurl as well.

Here's a running list of suck gates I pulled from over at Wake Garage. There are DIY projects too, but here's the manufactured ones. Hope it helps.

Mission
Ronix Wake Shaper
World of Wake
Swell Wake
Wake Surf Edge
NautiCurl
Tsunami Wakes
WakeExperts
Roswell Deflector Wake Shaper
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       04-11-2017, 6:23 AM Reply   
I thought about building my own, but decided to go with the Nauticurl. Just ordered it today.
Old     (absurd)      Join Date: Oct 2014       04-11-2017, 9:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by allzway View Post
I thought about building my own, but decided to go with the Nauticurl. Just ordered it today.
You will be happy. I purchased one for my avalanche. So happy not having to lean boat.
I have been an ocean surfer for 30 plus years so I am use to a decent wave,t and it was.
The one thing that worried me was the metal hitting hull but I applied a rubber strip at back edge closest to hull just for a piece of mind.
Thumbs up all around!

Last edited by absurd; 04-11-2017 at 9:45 AM.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-13-2017, 7:06 PM Reply   
One thing i haven't read here is how the wave behind systems like nauticurl and swell compare to the leaned wave on that same boat. Is there much of a trade-off?
Old     (macpres)      Join Date: Jul 2016       04-13-2017, 7:08 PM Reply   
Behind most boats it lengthens it and cleans it up pretty dramatically. Check out our video on our website of the listed before and device after behind a 2002 Super Air Nautique. Another huge benefit is the ability to switch sides in seconds compared to 10 minutes filling and draining bags.

http://www.swellwake.com/video.html
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-13-2017, 7:52 PM Reply   
You won't find any quantifiable data indicating a gated wave is better than a typical listed wave. There is a lot of qualitative information out there on both sides of the lake. Also, you are talking about opinions and what people like in a wave. The same differences people have in the different types of waves each boats hull produces.
The only situation I can say in complete confidence that a gated wave will out perform a listed wave is on a shallow waterbody.

Overall consensus: Far from complete.
Gated waves are easier to produce a clean wave. Often even easier than some other plate systems. (I am sure there are plenty that would argue the opposition)
Suction gates, even branded retail versions are inexpensive compared other 'surf systems'.
Gated waves generally reduce the need to list. That doesn't mean evenly weighted. In fact most boats still benefit from some list.
Some suction gates have issues with speed. More weight and more speed are generally the key ingredients to the 'best' wave.
"best" wave is open to interpretation. Some people don't like big competition style waves.
Gated waves have largely been regarded as soft. They look good, but there is no magical 'push'. They are mush-burgers.
A lot of this has to do with the hull, the weight distribution and the speed. All of these can be fixed or work with.

Let's talk suction gates and angles and all the rest. No one suction gate does a remarkably or significantly better job than any other. They are a simple tool. They are all remarkably (or not really so) similar in function. No one is breaking through here with a leap in technology or innovation. What you will find are that some are made a little better than others. Some have cleaner more aesthetically pleasing (open to interpretation) designs. Some have built a reputation for failures others a riding a likely ephemeral wave of success. Some might fit better on certain boat hulls.

There are only a handful out there that allow the operator to change the angle of deflection. The majority don't. I can't say whether this makes for a better suction gate or not. It does give you options. Some are intentionally designed or have secondarily been considered OK to mount in reverse. Most are largely made of plastic, one is aluminum, some float, some do not. I believe only one is printed with a 3D printer. Other are either thermo-molded or cut from flat stock. Some are made in the USA, some are made overseas.

Just for clarity, suction gate is aftermarket, and gated wave is inclusive of aftermarket gates and factory systems.

Happy hunting.

Nick
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-13-2017, 8:08 PM Reply   
Appreciate the reply, Nick. Sounds like there are benefits in either listed or gated surfing, but expectations need to be adjusted accordingly.
Old     (WakeSurf22)      Join Date: Dec 2016       04-14-2017, 6:19 AM Reply   
Ben/James/Lutzbe - Thank you very much for the kind words, support and purchases. I'm picking up my boat today (late start in MN), can't wait to drop in!

Nick - Great summary of wake devices and lack of data in the market. You're absolutely right, in addition to the Shaper... speed, hull shape and ballast amount make a significant impact on the wave and can be fine tuned to the rider's preference.

NautiCurl is developing a plan to perform testing with many of the devices on Ben's list and a number of boats to provide a comprehensive summary including (ease of use, impact on wave - shape/push/length, cost, durability, boat compatibility, and other pros/cons). We're also working with some of our distributors to gain independent feedback on our device vs others. We plan to post the results mid-summer.

Cheers!
Old     (scott)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-16-2017, 4:26 PM Reply   
Just received my Nauticurl today. I have really just one question. Has anyone had one of these break loose while using it and what is the outcome of it being dragged behind the boat? Any damage to the boat, or the tether breaking? Has anyone had one break off and lost it all together?
Old     (macpres)      Join Date: Jul 2016       04-16-2017, 5:55 PM Reply   
They can fly around Barmac, You could put it on a longer line and drag around at wakesurf speeds to see how it reacts. Might be best to attach a buoy to it so it'll float away from the boat if it comes off.
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       04-17-2017, 2:01 PM Reply   
We got to try out the nauticurl this weekend and it worked great. We have a new NXT22 surf setup boat, but when we just had our family of four, two teenage girls, myself and my wife, the boat needed extra weight to get a wave we actually like to surf.

With the Nauticurl, we didn't have to add the extra 400lbs and kept the stock weight. So far.. really happy with it.
Old     (49faith)      Join Date: Mar 2017       04-17-2017, 2:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
Just received my Nauticurl today. I have really just one question. Has anyone had one of these break loose while using it and what is the outcome of it being dragged behind the boat? Any damage to the boat, or the tether breaking? Has anyone had one break off and lost it all together?
I haven't had my nauticurl come off yet. I finished up a set one day and started dumping ballast. I forgot to take the nauticurl off and got to about 20MPH before my wife remembered. It was still there thankfully. I do tie mine off to a dock bumper in case it does come off because of the weight. I don't like the idea of tethering straight to the boat because I don't want any gel coat damage.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-18-2017, 8:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by allzway View Post
We got to try out the nauticurl this weekend and it worked great. We have a new NXT22 surf setup boat, but when we just had our family of four, two teenage girls, myself and my wife, the boat needed extra weight to get a wave we actually like to surf.

With the Nauticurl, we didn't have to add the extra 400lbs and kept the stock weight. So far.. really happy with it.
James, I have a buddy with the same boat, are you doing anything with your trims Tabs?
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-18-2017, 8:57 AM Reply   
Anybody tried the NautiCurl on a 2002 210? Interested to hear some results since it's a notoriously bad hull for surfing
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       04-18-2017, 9:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
James, I have a buddy with the same boat, are you doing anything with your trims Tabs?
We have had them many different settings. With the nauticurl they were not deployed much.

We surf regular footed, so the left tab was at 15 and right tab at 7 and the middle tab at zero.

Before we added the nauticurl we ran an extra 400lbs in the left side storage with the tabs at 0.0.65.

We still have plenty more testing to do though.
Old     (DW205)      Join Date: Jul 2015       04-19-2017, 10:39 AM Reply   
My Swell wake shaper straight fell off the boat while I was riding last weekend. It was not a new floating one, so it currently sits at the bottom of Lake Havasu (it broke my tether I had on it). Certainly super irritated about that.

Glad to hear the new one floats, and how strong is the lanyard on the Nauticurl?

Boat is a 2016 Sanger V215 w/ twin 1100 lb rear bags and 450 lbs in the center.
Old     (macpres)      Join Date: Jul 2016       04-19-2017, 10:41 AM Reply   
Dustyn, sorry to hear it fell off, if you want to PM me i can get you a new model as a replacement.
Old     (DW205)      Join Date: Jul 2015       04-19-2017, 11:07 AM Reply   
Wow, Swell's customer service is fantastic. They took care of me big time and fast. Thanks!!!
Old     (scott)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-19-2017, 8:15 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone, I like the bumper idea!
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       04-19-2017, 8:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett33 View Post
Anybody tried the NautiCurl on a 2002 210? Interested to hear some results since it's a notoriously bad hull for surfing
I had my Nauticurl delivered today, gonna try it this week on my '97 Super Sport. Same hull as yours, as you probably know.
Atm I have 2 540's in the back and a 650 in bow or seating area. Curious to see how it turns out!
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       04-24-2017, 12:28 PM Reply   
Finally got the Nauticurl wet.
I first attached it like in the first pic. (How the h3ll do you insert a pic at a certain place in a post?)
No ballast filled and I got a really nice clean wave that I could almost surf.
There was a big spray coming from the wake shaper though.

Then filled 2 540's in the rear. Didn't fill the front 'cause the bow bag is a royal pain in the arse to empty, and I was with wife and kids so didn't want them to wait even longer. Yes auto-ballast is going to be the first major upgrade...
This set up turned it into a huge white washy mess. Put wife and kids in bow, but that didn't change it.
Moved the shaper forward a bit, as in other pics. Got quite a bit better straight away. Still not great, really short and still washing out a bit, but I could surf that no problem, together with my daughter. The spray that came off the shaper earlier was also gone.
I'm guessing that with front ballast filled it'll get longer (and hopefully cleaner), and that experimenting some more with placement and angle of the shaper it'll clean up nicely.
Only tried port side by the way, which if I'm correct is the worse side for the 210's.

Oh yeah I attached the shaper to the orange vest that you see in the pic, kept it floating nicely.

To be continued...
Attached Images

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-24-2017, 1:10 PM Reply   
odds are that after you put the weight in, you probably buried the gate too low in the water. there's a sweet spot with how "deep" your gate sits in the water. too high and all you're getting is spray. too low and it's too far underwater to really do anything productive. yes, you'll get spray when it's setup right. so you don't want all your spray gone.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       04-24-2017, 1:51 PM Reply   
I did put it a bit higher after weighting boat down. But yes definitely needs some more trial and error.
Thanks for the info, good to know there should be some spray.
Old     (boarder1995)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-27-2017, 6:52 AM Reply   
Been a while since I've been on here and haven't been too active with wakeboarding, skating, and surfing in recent years. But with Summer quickly approaching I'm getting excited about surfing. Then I come across this - wow - great ideas of wakeshaping I've considered building myself. But with a lack of time on my hands, a purchase might be in order. Considering a few of the brands - the ones that put the fin further back, as I've got a 2000 Air Nautique, similar hull shape and taper to Sander's boat above.

Question: With the non-floaters, would bolting a block of flotation to the backside of the fin be workable?
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-27-2017, 7:11 AM Reply   
Sander- I was reading on Planet Nautique, a guy was having pretty good luck with the Mission Delta 2-3" under the water line when weighted down, on the flat, not tapered end. This is the pic he posted as a reference to the position.
Attached Images

Old     (macpres)      Join Date: Jul 2016       04-27-2017, 7:12 AM Reply   
Boarder, haven't tried it personally, but many people that have made their own have attached a tether to a buoy and put the buoy on the swim deck so they don't lose it, or you could just get one that floats. I have that same hull on my 2002 Super Air, the our Creator works amazing attached just above the step in the hull right before the angled back part. Check out our YouTube channel for before and after videos

Last edited by macpres; 04-27-2017 at 7:14 AM. Reason: Update
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       04-27-2017, 9:47 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tips. We'll get there! Pretty sure I'll try again this weekend.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-27-2017, 10:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
You won't find any quantifiable data indicating a gated wave is better than a typical listed wave. There is a lot of qualitative information out there on both sides of the lake. Also, you are talking about opinions and what people like in a wave. The same differences people have in the different types of waves each boats hull produces.
The only situation I can say in complete confidence that a gated wave will out perform a listed wave is on a shallow waterbody.

Overall consensus: Far from complete.
Gated waves are easier to produce a clean wave. Often even easier than some other plate systems. (I am sure there are plenty that would argue the opposition)
Suction gates, even branded retail versions are inexpensive compared other 'surf systems'.
Gated waves generally reduce the need to list. That doesn't mean evenly weighted. In fact most boats still benefit from some list.
Some suction gates have issues with speed. More weight and more speed are generally the key ingredients to the 'best' wave.
"best" wave is open to interpretation. Some people don't like big competition style waves.
Gated waves have largely been regarded as soft. They look good, but there is no magical 'push'. They are mush-burgers.
A lot of this has to do with the hull, the weight distribution and the speed. All of these can be fixed or work with.

Let's talk suction gates and angles and all the rest. No one suction gate does a remarkably or significantly better job than any other. They are a simple tool. They are all remarkably (or not really so) similar in function. No one is breaking through here with a leap in technology or innovation. What you will find are that some are made a little better than others. Some have cleaner more aesthetically pleasing (open to interpretation) designs. Some have built a reputation for failures others a riding a likely ephemeral wave of success. Some might fit better on certain boat hulls.

There are only a handful out there that allow the operator to change the angle of deflection. The majority don't. I can't say whether this makes for a better suction gate or not. It does give you options. Some are intentionally designed or have secondarily been considered OK to mount in reverse. Most are largely made of plastic, one is aluminum, some float, some do not. I believe only one is printed with a 3D printer. Other are either thermo-molded or cut from flat stock. Some are made in the USA, some are made overseas.

Just for clarity, suction gate is aftermarket, and gated wave is inclusive of aftermarket gates and factory systems.

Happy hunting.

Nick
Nick, I like what you have to say here, and tend to agree with you.

I built my own suction gate using leftover HDPE, some SS screws and a $8 Harbor Freight handle. I still list my boat, but we seem to have made our wave "better" by adding the gate to the mix. again subjective.

I would never drop hundreds on one of the premade gates, but some people aren't willing/able to make their own.

It's certainly an interesting/convenient/helpful TOOL to have available to a person in their quest for the best wave. And suction gates take up such little space compared to "ghetto gates" and wedges and offer the ability to play with placement--so that's the real secret to their success. Convenience and options.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       05-01-2017, 3:20 PM Reply   
I'm impressed! For the 210-owners out there; go ahead and get one!

Tried the Nauticurl again, now with bow ballast. Did all I hoped (and kind of expected) and more!
See starboard in the picture, and port in this video. (Sorry, tried to embed but don't know how)
Setup: 2x 540 in the rear, 675 + 2 batteries in the bow, 2 persons in the boat. Speed 11.5 mph (-ish..).
Attached Images

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-02-2017, 6:53 AM Reply   
Awesome looking Wave Snader! That thing looks like a blast!
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-02-2017, 8:36 AM Reply   
^^ Yep, that sealed the deal for me. Thanks for the follow up Sander!
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       05-02-2017, 3:41 PM Reply   
Cheers guys!
Most 210-owners seem to have 750's in the back. Plus here we had relatively a lot of weight in the bow. So most should be able to get a bigger wave than this.
Old    Wakesurfmax            05-14-2017, 1:12 PM Reply   
Can someone give me a link to the best cheap diy wakesurf shaper?
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       05-15-2017, 8:04 PM Reply   
Nauti on MB F24 with full ballast (5200# total, 650 in bow) was astounding. Best bang for buck possible IMHO. GSA wave was still superior by a margin, but the Nauti impressed me.
Old     (IanDB)      Join Date: Mar 2017       05-17-2017, 1:44 AM Reply   
I researched for months and went for the Mission Delta - It's creating a great surf wave behind my Nautique 211SV crossover boat (2005 model) - See the set up here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x49MnDUlcE4
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-17-2017, 5:54 AM Reply   
I went to purchase a Nauticurl because I like the look and it was on sale, but I still cannot surf or wakeboard for a few months (health reasons) so my wife stopped my purchase! When, I can start up in a few months, I will buy the Naticurl, also, because I like that it goes all the way to the back of the boat and the solid design. I boat on the Butler chain of lakes in Florida, so if anyone in the Orlando area wants to try it on their boat before purchasing it, give me a pm. Also, if anyone wants to test their devise on a 2005 VLX, you're welcome to come out on the Butler chain of lakes.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-17-2017, 1:03 PM Reply   
I wonder if nauticurl will offer a discount code again. I've been tempted to buy one but I have a homemade surfgate that works. Nauticurl is by far the nicest looking wakeshaper I've seen but I don't want to be spending $230 on one. I was going to buy one until I went to buy one and they raised the price.
Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-17-2017, 8:43 PM Reply   
Does anyone have experience knowledge with these devices on a direct drive? I have a Calabria Cal-Air and while I realize will never have a great surf wake, am hoping can get a wake to cruise on.

Thanks!

David
Old     (macpres)      Join Date: Jul 2016       05-17-2017, 8:46 PM Reply   
Dave, yes, we have extensive experience testing many different models. When weighted you can get a great wave!

You can check out our website here for recommend ballast setup:

http://www.swellwake.com/store/p43/S...st_Bundle.html
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-18-2017, 6:58 AM Reply   
I just bought the instructions for the DIY Wakesurf tabs.

http://www.wakesurftabs.com/

I am planning on tackling it Saturday after, so I will have a full write up on how good/bad it goes~!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-18-2017, 7:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarland0 View Post
Does anyone have experience knowledge with these devices on a direct drive? I have a Calabria Cal-Air and while I realize will never have a great surf wake, am hoping can get a wake to cruise on.

Thanks!

David
Here's a video of the NautiCurl Running on you a Calabria Cal-Air, this is from a V-Drive but if my memory serves correct they have the same hull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuvZZK-J2H0
Old     (IanDB)      Join Date: Mar 2017       06-01-2017, 6:26 AM Reply   
I'm getting pretty good surf with the mission delta.
Sticks like glue and really easy to switch.
Running stock ballast with 400lb rear locker fatsacs about 3/4 full on a 2005 Nautique 211SV TE.
Video was me surfing (16 and a half stone!) with my wife driving and a spotter only on the boat.
https://youtu.be/x49MnDUlcE4