Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-26-2014, 8:40 AM Reply   
Looking at a 2009 4x4 Jeep GC with hemi engine. "towing capacity" is around 6000. Wondering how it does with a heavy 23' Sanger. Anyone towing similar weight (7600 lbs)? how does it perform on longer hauls?

Also any mpg comments are appreciated., Moving away from my lifted Tundra (I think...) but still want good tow capacity
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-26-2014, 8:54 AM Reply   
So the capacity is 6000 lbs and your asking about towing a 7600 lb boat?? I think the sensible answer is don't do it. Thats not even in the ball park. Most will tell you to only go to 75-80% of capacity and not right to it.

I don't think power is going to be the problem with the hemi, but rather stability and stopping.
Old     (jbird)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-26-2014, 9:30 AM Reply   
Where are you getting 7600lbs for a 23foot Sanger?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-26-2014, 10:24 AM Reply   
I was thinking I had those figures wrong... my truck weighs 7600...

Capacity is 6500 lbs

3750 dry for the boat.
1000 for the trailer
1000 for fluids, gear etc.

5750 all in I'm guessing?

Last edited by denverd1; 11-26-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       11-26-2014, 7:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
I was thinking I had those figures wrong... my truck weighs 7600...

Capacity is 6500 lbs

3750 dry for the boat.
1000 for the trailer
1000 for fluids, gear etc.

5750 all in I'm guessing?
With those numbers, yes you would be fine.
Old     (Valleywine)      Join Date: Aug 2014       11-27-2014, 12:51 AM Reply   
I tow approx 5K lbs w/ a v6 grand Cherokee. No problems.
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       11-27-2014, 6:30 AM Reply   
Depending on how far, how fast you drive, and road conditions you could be fine. Remember that any and all short wheel base vehicles, regardless of the power can become a nightmare to drive towing under certain conditions. Keep in mind it may seem to tow nicely under ideal conditions, but swb vehicles can easily be put into unstable conditions towing any trailer. As a test using my swb SUV, I took my boat 6 miles to get gas (highway speed) on a somewhat windy day. After that experience I would never tow my boat any distance with a swb vehicle.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       11-27-2014, 8:11 AM Reply   
Longer wheelbase vehicles are better for towing. The same can be said for the trailer also, the farther axle(s) are back the less likely the trailer will start the dreaded oscillation. Boat trailers have the axles further back (especially v-drive) than car/utility trailers and tow better.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       11-27-2014, 8:27 AM Reply   
Maximum tow for that Jeep is 7400, which on paper, means you should be just fine. I'd still go with a truck or SUV with a truck frame. I just bought a 2011 Tundra Crewmax and I would never consider going to a smaller wheel base SUV for towing a boat. If your Tundra is 2007 or newer, you would be going backwards in every way possible except overall vehicle length. MPG is the same unless you factor in the lift (which may or may not be the exact reason for the vehicle change?).
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       11-28-2014, 8:20 AM Reply   
you will get pushed around like crazy with a small vehicle like that. You will be able to get it moving but how on earth will you get it to stop???
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-29-2014, 3:18 PM Reply   
another factor is fuel mileage. i'm getting 12 mpg with my Tundra. Gas at a long time low, but it just seems ridiculous to get 12 mpgs. I need to start documenting my fuel use and mileage myself instead of trusting the dash.

I'd level out the GC at a minimum and stick 33's on it. prolly add a rear tire carrier see how it does.

anybody with the Hemi have any mpgs #s around town?

Could upgrade the brakes as well. and will likely put bags or a weight distribution hitch on it.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-29-2014, 6:53 PM Reply   
Probably the main thing I would worry about is braking. Besides that you should be good to go.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       11-30-2014, 7:18 AM Reply   
I you haven't already purchased it, I wouldn't. I have a jeep commander limited edition right now and it tows my 06 malibu vlx dangerously. It is rated at the same as the Grand Cherokee, maybe even slightly more and I would not recommend buying one. Mine is all wheel drive top dog model with the Hemi 5.7 v8. It has all the power you want, but stopping and bouncing factor is pretty dangerous. I have only used it to tow my boat to our lake twice, because that is all I had. Now I try my hardest to find a buddy that has a truck to tow it for me when the time comes.

You load the jeep up with people, gear and then add the boat you will feel like you are very much pushing that vehicle at it's limits. That is all I am saying. Get a Suburban or a Tahoe with upgraded brakes or a 2500 . That seems to be my best SUV for towing so far.

The worst I have ever owned was an 06 Ford Expedition limited edition. That towed like crap too, sloppy rear end and no power.

Opinions of coarse.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       11-30-2014, 7:21 AM Reply   
Hemi mpg 13.5 to 14 freeway, towing more like 9 mpg. But mine is all wheel drive and maybe a little heavier Jeep, being the commander.
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-02-2014, 2:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
It has all the power you want, but stopping and bouncing factor is pretty dangerous
This reminded me of the time a friend with a Grand Cherokee borrowed my tandem trailer to pick up some wood rails. He ended up in the ditch after crossing a RR track that caused an oscillation that the swb vehicle could not control. No damage to my trailer, but it beat up the back of the Cherokee and the hitch bent. Everything was going just fine until that point.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-02-2014, 3:00 PM Reply   
sounds like he loaded it ass heavy.... damn it this is making me nervous
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-02-2014, 5:33 PM Reply   
TTIWWOP!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-02-2014, 6:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
another factor is fuel mileage. i'm getting 12 mpg with my Tundra. Gas at a long time low, but it just seems ridiculous to get 12 mpgs. I need to start documenting my fuel use and mileage myself instead of trusting the dash.

I'd level out the GC at a minimum and stick 33's on it. prolly add a rear tire carrier see how it does.

anybody with the Hemi have any mpgs #s around town?

Could upgrade the brakes as well. and will likely put bags or a weight distribution hitch on it.
if you are going to lift it and put big tires on how in the world can you complain about fuel economy?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-02-2014, 8:28 PM Reply   
Damn that GC looks tiny with a boat behind it!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
if you are going to lift it and put big tires on how in the world can you complain about fuel economy?
I know, I know. Should probably keep my truck and suck it up. Kinda itching for a change anyway. Don't owe much on my truck so I'll pull some cash out
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       12-02-2014, 8:53 PM Reply   
You will regret it 4 sure. No doubt. You will end up like me wishing I had my truck back or a real SUV. Jeeps are not towing machines. Just buy a better truck.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-03-2014, 12:18 AM Reply   
You don't need a turbo diesel with duel rear wheels to tow everything.
Frankly, you'll be fine. What to watch is that the brakes don't tend to last a long time anyway on the Jeep, so maintain them, and the Hemi is not the most fuel efficient engine around. Having AWD is important when you tow as it stabilizes the truck and you'll have a more comfortable ride. The 4 wheel drive does not do that but it helps at a wet ramp. Air bags are a great idea and will help keep the Cherokee level.

It is sometimes nice to have a vehicle you can drive to the mall and park, and that you can also use to tow a boat.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-03-2014, 11:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyart View Post
You don't need a turbo diesel with duel rear wheels to tow everything.
Frankly, you'll be fine. What to watch is that the brakes don't tend to last a long time anyway on the Jeep, so maintain them, and the Hemi is not the most fuel efficient engine around. Having AWD is important when you tow as it stabilizes the truck and you'll have a more comfortable ride. The 4 wheel drive does not do that but it helps at a wet ramp. Air bags are a great idea and will help keep the Cherokee level.

It is sometimes nice to have a vehicle you can drive to the mall and park, and that you can also use to tow a boat.
I should've known what the response would be!! turbo V10 with a tuner and 37's seem to be the only tow vehicle that will suffice on here. I'll watch stopping distance and upgrade a few things. ramp is 7 miles from my house. If I tow longer than that I'll use something else.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-03-2014, 11:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullspeed View Post
You will regret it 4 sure. No doubt. You will end up like me wishing I had my truck back or a real SUV. Jeeps are not towing machines. Just buy a better truck.
there is no better truck
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-04-2014, 7:31 PM Reply   
Old     (rockballer)      Join Date: Jun 2014       12-07-2014, 9:08 PM Reply   
I drive it all day long over mountains for hours at a time fully loaded with people and 6000 lb boat behind. I am Located in Vancouver canada and take it 4 hrs out of town and pass numerous diesel fords towing up hills through the mountains. inexperienced drivers get scared easily.. if you don't feel comfortable towing under your rated towing capacity let someone else drive.. I will leave this here.

Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-07-2014, 11:25 PM Reply   
My JGC has been great...I have had zero issues with towing and breaking (I have 4 discs on the boat trailer). I have loved it, but it is def a smaller SUV and I dont have any experience with the 09 JGC that the OP is asking about, but the new ones do fine in the 6k towing range. My tow to my local lake is 42 miles round trip and has a 1k elv difference, she does just fine. With that said I am looking at diesels for years, but have yet to pull the trigger.
Attached Images

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-11-2014, 10:57 AM Reply   
voices of reason! rigs look great. Thanks guys.
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       12-11-2014, 12:09 PM Reply   
FWIW I pull an 08 xstar with a 2014 JGC V6. The motor struggles on hills but otherwise it works fine. I use it for short hauls mainly. We've got another vehicle for longer hauls. If it was our only tow vehicle I would have got the v8 or diesel.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-11-2014, 6:03 PM Reply   
you are going to get single digit milage. it isnt designed to tow, but it will move your trailer.

If you want it, get it, no SUV is going to tow and get good milage (until they start putting big diesels in them) so dont worry about it.
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-11-2014, 10:43 PM Reply   
I pull an Axis A20 with a 14 JGC V6 2WD through Tejon Pass (3-6% grade) without any noticeable issues. I've also pulled it out of the lake with all ballast full once (additional 4k) and didn't have any problems. Wasn't the best decision I've ever made, but it worked (no deformations to the hitch, etc.)

If you have the coin, diesel is obviously the way to go.

Name:  photo 4.jpg
Views: 3062
Size:  74.5 KB