Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    HENRYA            10-21-2014, 12:44 PM Reply   
My dad and I are looking for a good boat and we have narrowed it down to the 2014 moomba mojo 2.5 and the 2006 super air nautique 220 team. Just want to know the pros and cons of both. I will be mostly wakeboarding and doing some surfing. Just wondering How the interior of the moomba is? Wondering if it is cheap or not considering the price. Thanks! We will also be doing some cruising.
20% surfing 45% wakeboarding and 35% cruising.
Old    HENRYA            10-21-2014, 12:44 PM Reply   
The moomba is about 51k and the nautique is about 41k
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-21-2014, 2:46 PM Reply   
Moomba has really stepped up their quality and and craftsmanship in these last couple years. Their vinyl is no longer cheap. The reason they are still considered budget boats is the attention to detail and the smaller parts they use. Seats are not hinged, they use a ton of cheap plastic fillers to fill voids, they don't use backing plates in every location. Some argue the top 3 are over built. The newer Moombas will not fall apart. The wakes are great and the engines are reliable. The Mojo really drives nice and has great potential. Get the Moomba Flow system if you plan on surfing. Worth every penny.

As far as the 06 220. If you surf goofy the 06 San may be the better choice as the prop rotation in that yeat was opposite the MoJo so the goofy wake will be better. If you're a regular foot surfer it may shy you away. The quality of the 06 220 I still feel is a step up from the 14 Mojo. Once you sit in the drivers helm you'll know what I mean. You have to drive both and really crawl around to appreciate it. The 220 has a weird rear bench which is what held me back on the 220 and made me go 210. The wife and kids really like one straight bench back there when we are chilling and relaxing. You can't get that on the 220.

Wakes. Both boats are more than capeable. If you plan on having a lot of first timers or newbs on the water the 220 wake is very intimidating at lower speeds in the 20mph and below range. The Mojo's is much more manageable. The wakboard wake at the higher level sac'd out at 23-25mph range goes to 220 . The Mojo drives like a huge 22ft machine. It has a lot of bow rise at surf speeds which even myself at 6ftvhas a hard time seeing over. The 220 drives much more like a smaller comp boat. Bow and drivers helm are really comfortable. The bow in the Mojo is twice the size and has twice the depth of that in the 220. Storage in the Mojo is also twice the 220. So all in all you can't go wrong with either boat. Just need to figure out priorities. You really need to take one for a spin and each boat will immediately sell you or force you to the other.
Old    HENRYA            10-21-2014, 6:13 PM Reply   
What about cruising? Does the moomba ride well in some (not too much) chop?
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-22-2014, 4:22 AM Reply   
Things I hate about the Mojo-
1-Vinyl in the mojo is super hot, no matter the color.
2-Driver can't see a darn thing, unless bolstered up for wakeboarding, and standing for surfing.
3-Instrument panel blocks driver view even while just cruising! You have only about a 5" gap to look through, between the windshield frame, and top of instrument cluster. Did they consider the fact that you need to see, in order to pilot these things??
4-Giant step down from back of boat, to the platform. You wouldn't think this was a huge deal, but it is. 3 of my friends took a nose dive off of my buddies mojo this summer, because of the 30" step down. One of them went face first into the platform of another boat, and ended up with about 10 stitches. The step is just a bit too far, and when your feet are wet, it is hard to keep good footing.
5-If you want good ballast for surfing, you lose over half of your storage. The bow sack completely eliminates all of it in the front.
6-Bimini gets trashed by the wakeboard rope within a few weeks of use. Not to mention, it is a PITA to get the rope on in the first place.
7-Vinyl tears on the seat that you step on, getting in from the back. The seat is removable, and I would suggest removing it...... 40 hours of use, and it has been replaced twice. They only covered the first one under warranty. The second time around cost $550.00.....

Moomba's have come along way, sure. They really fall short on the "little things" though. I could go on forever about those. With all of that said, they have been very good with the "lipstick" on these boats. They look great!

Now, you might think I am bashing on Moomba. I'm not. Buying a boat without those "little things" that bother me, costs twice as much. There is a reason why.... Chances are, if I drove a '06 220, I would have a long list as well. On the other hand, I find a 2014 210 to be a drastically nicer boat than a Mojo.

Moomba builds a great boat for the $$$, and I would certainly chose it over a 2006 220. Just avoid extended driving of a new Supra, MC, CC, Malibu, etc.....
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       10-22-2014, 4:31 AM Reply   
For that kind of money I would check out the 07 and up Nautique 210 great wakes ,great build quality and great resale.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-22-2014, 4:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
For that kind of money I would check out the 07 and up Nautique 210 great wakes ,great build quality and great resale.
Agreed.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-22-2014, 6:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
I just did this. 210 over a 220 all day long for me
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       10-22-2014, 6:21 AM Reply   
51 for a 2014 Mojo sounds like a great # for a one year old boat, it had to be 60 plus when new especially if it had any decent options, I know they can be real bare bones, they even come without cleats…..BUT….a 10k hit for one year says something to me
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-22-2014, 7:53 AM Reply   
Any boat take a 10K hit the first year, especially against MSRP….what does it say to you exactly??

Most will take will more than that…figure about a 30% hit from MSRP on a used 2014. Also most will agree for whatever reason this fall is worse than recent years for selling slightly used.
Old     (mhibbing)      Join Date: Nov 2013       10-27-2014, 8:07 AM Reply   
The Mojo wake is incredible. If you have found a 2014 with some hours for 51k you have found a steal of a deal. Especially if it is option'd out. IF the upholstery its ripping its covered under warranty but Moomba has stepped up their game in more ways than can be described on here. The best thing you can do is go to your local dealer and flip all the switches, Surf it, wakeboard behind it and push it to the limits. I promise you won't be disappointed. I use to sell them, I've owned a SC boat and now work for Skiers Choice. In fact you can look up Stan Kent on fb. He was my Moomba demo family who promoted the brand all around Oklahoma. He sold his 08 Nautique 210 to join the Moomba family. Take it to the water. The Mojo will win every time.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-27-2014, 9:09 AM Reply   
I have heard that the Mojo wake is actually somewhat finiky.
Old     (mhibbing)      Join Date: Nov 2013       10-27-2014, 1:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
I have heard that the Mojo wake is actually somewhat finiky.
I would say hearing and experiencing are two very different things. Which leads me back to what I've said a couple times now. Go to the water. The Mojo will always win.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       10-27-2014, 1:39 PM Reply   
So I'm looking at an S63 AMG, and a Toyota corolla S.
Both have the sport package, but which should I buy?
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       10-27-2014, 2:44 PM Reply   
^^^^^^^^hahahahaahhahahaahhahahahahaha
Old     (viking)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-31-2014, 8:54 PM Reply   
HOLY CHIT ..............OP...............you've only posted the same damn question a half dozen times in separate threads!
HOW about you READ a little instead of start new THREADS???